No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Fan boys should right click save as these are getting deleted

:lol:

The weight of irony has crushed me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    UCI response http://tinyurl.com/c2s4b7e
    The UCI confirms that it has been informed by USADA of its decision to open anti-doping cases against a number of rider support personnel and a rider.

This is the first time USADA has communicated to UCI on this subject.

The UCI is not aware of the information that is available to USADA on the persons concerned and has not been involved in the proceedings opened by USADA.

The UCI will follow the case to the extent it will be informed and has noted that the persons concerned have been invited to send submittals on the allegations that are made against them.

The UCI will not comment futher at this stage.

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

You do appreciate the risk of this bringing down Contador as well, right? If Armstrong and Bruyneel go down, how likely is it that they wouldn't take Contador with them? He might end up with the 2010 tour being his only grand tour win.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396

Plenty more on Graham Watson I expect... :twisted:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    symo wrote:
    On the 18th stage of the 2004 edition of the Tour de France, Simeoni gapped up to a breakaway of six riders that posed no threat to Armstrong's leading position. Nevertheless, Armstrong followed Simeoni, which prompted Armstrong's rival T-Mobile Team to try to catch the breakaway. This would not only catch Armstrong but also eliminate the stage winning chances of the six riders in the original breakaway. The six riders implored Armstrong to drop back to the peloton, but Armstrong would not go unless Simeoni went with him and the two riders dropped back to the peloton. When Simeoni dropped back, he was abused by other riders, including Andrea Peron, Filippo Pozzato and Giuseppe Guerini. In a later interview, he told of how Daniele Nardello also abused him, calling him "a disgrace". Afterwards, Armstrong made a "zip-the-lips" gesture but later said that Simeoni "did not deserve" to win a stage. Two days later was the final stage, which is usually a slow stage in which the Tour winner (in 2004 it was Armstrong) already celebrates his victory. But in this stage Simeoni continuously attacked, to take revenge for what Armstrong did three days before, but was reeled in every time by Armstrong's team.[6] Simeoni was again insulted and spat at by other riders after this.

From Wiki,
    LA - Lousy A-hole

This picture sums up Armstrong for me.

image-12.jpg

You cross me, I crush you. Nasty piece of work
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Probably the least surprising and most pointless "news" of the century. Winning ONE tour totally clean is at best unlikely. SEVEN? Only the terminally stupid or innocent ever thought that, surely?

What is the point of revisiting all this? The man (who I never liked) won against his then peers within the context of racing as it then was. Perhaps award all the victories to someone who didn't ride the races at all....
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    Timoid. wrote:
    symo wrote:
    On the 18th stage of the 2004 edition of the Tour de France, Simeoni gapped up to a breakaway of six riders that posed no threat to Armstrong's leading position. Nevertheless, Armstrong followed Simeoni, which prompted Armstrong's rival T-Mobile Team to try to catch the breakaway. This would not only catch Armstrong but also eliminate the stage winning chances of the six riders in the original breakaway. The six riders implored Armstrong to drop back to the peloton, but Armstrong would not go unless Simeoni went with him and the two riders dropped back to the peloton. When Simeoni dropped back, he was abused by other riders, including Andrea Peron, Filippo Pozzato and Giuseppe Guerini. In a later interview, he told of how Daniele Nardello also abused him, calling him "a disgrace". Afterwards, Armstrong made a "zip-the-lips" gesture but later said that Simeoni "did not deserve" to win a stage. Two days later was the final stage, which is usually a slow stage in which the Tour winner (in 2004 it was Armstrong) already celebrates his victory. But in this stage Simeoni continuously attacked, to take revenge for what Armstrong did three days before, but was reeled in every time by Armstrong's team.[6] Simeoni was again insulted and spat at by other riders after this.

From Wiki,
    LA - Lousy A-hole

image-12.jpg

You cross my friend, I crush you. Nasty piece of work

Fixed that for you, Simeoni's "crime" was to testify under oath that Ferrari had supplied him with a training programme that included the use of banned performance enhancing substances. He never mentioned Armstrong in his testimony.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    meagain wrote:
    Probably the least surprising and most pointless "news" of the century. Winning ONE tour totally clean is at best unlikely. SEVEN? Only the terminally stupid or innocent ever thought that, surely?

What is the point of revisiting all this? The man (who I never liked) won against his then peers within the context of racing as it then was. Perhaps award all the victories to someone who didn't ride the races at all....

If they all get done it puts the late '90s early '00s to rest, good and proper.
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:

image-12.jpg

The '00s had it right with the tiny socks.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    BigMat wrote:
    He might end up with the 2010 tour being his only grand tour win.

No, A Schleck won that.

Well, a week of waiting for more news now then.

Then sounds like November for some result?? ...that's bound to drag out.

...and then possibly it ends up with CAS in 2013.

I didn't find much of it surprising, but looking forward to hearing who's testified what, particularly as far as the 10 cyclists go.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    :lol:
    The weight of irony has crushed me.
    Indeed, wonder if 'other' fanboys have their Bertie pictures saved
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Timoid. wrote:

image-12.jpg

Or as he put it when threatening Prentice Steffen "I have a lot of money, good lawyers, and if you continue to talk, I'll destroy you."

Full article on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12703967
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The '00s had it right with the tiny socks.

Yeah. Astarloza loved the short socks. Accentuates the athleticism of the calves.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    The sense of unreality surrounding that time was so thick you could package it up and sell it.

it was as thou Lance had become bigger than the sport..... I just couldn't believe what was happening. Madness

My thoughts reading that. Any other rider would have just turned up and raced.
  • TMR
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Does anyone else think that if Bruyneel is found guilty that he will say well if am going down am taking Verbruggen & McQuaid with me.

I'd love to see that happen. I really abhor McQuaid :(
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I wouldn't miss McQuaid, his are the greatest sins of all.

The only positive (no pun intended) from the Lance fiasco is his globalisation of cycling. Would it be such a big deal in the UK today without the Lance years?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TMR
    symo wrote:

From Wiki,
    LA - Lousy A-hole

I've seen this on YouTube before, but have never understood what it was about. Can anyone explain? What did Simeoni do that was so wrong?
  • TMR
    Box Hill will now be replaced by the Moral high ground as the biggest climb in the Olympic Road Race

I LOL'd :)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Simeoni basically said Ferrari gave him dope. Which displeased Armstrong (Ferrari being his prepatore) so when Simeoni went on an attack, he followed him. The break would've never got away with LA there so he was forced to go back to the peloton. And be spat on.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR

:mrgreen:

Awesome images though Frenchie!
  • iainf72
    Race Radio has just pondered on twitter "how long will the criminal case stay closed now the public know about the USADA case"

You win the doping case, the criminal one is easy after that.
  • I wouldn't miss McQuaid, his are the greatest sins of all.

The only positive (no pun intended) from the Lance fiasco is his globalisation of cycling. Would it be such a big deal in the UK today without the Lance years?

I would argue yes (or at least, not far off) - Cycling is growing in the UK primarily because of BC success at the Olympics.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

I would argue yes (or at least, not far off) - Cycling is growing in the UK primarily because of BC success at the Olympics.

Fair point. However, would the wearing of brightly coloured rubber bands around the wrist have been such a big deal without the Lance years?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Yep, agreed - Cav, Wiggo, Hoy, Pendleton et al have done more for cycling than Larry....

Larry did nt globalise cycling, he America-ised it is all. I can't understand why people say this is going to be bad for grass roots cycling, I'm not going to pick up my bike this weekend becasue Armstrong doped?!?! Come on!

He may have globalised wrist bands I admit. But as a Teen Skater Punk I'd been doign that for years anyway!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758

+1

Armstrong has got very little to do with more bikes on British roads
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Do I get shunned if I reveal that Lance was the reason I started cycling/following cycling
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    Jez mon wrote:
    Do I get shunned if I reveal that Lance was the reason I started cycling/following cycling

So for you his doping was worth it? ;)
  • skylla

Fair point. However, would the wearing of brightly coloured rubber bands around the wrist have been such a big deal without the Lance years?

It was surprising at the time how little the rubber-band-people knew about Armstrong and road racing in general. It was also fairly quickly thereafter that every self-respecting charity issued bands.
  • iainf72
    ddraver wrote:

Larry did nt globalise cycling, he America-ised it is all. I can't understand why people say this is going to be bad for grass roots cycling, I'm not going to pick up my bike this weekend becasue Armstrong doped?!?! Come on!

He may have globalised wrist bands I admit. But as a Teen Skater Punk I'd been doign that for years anyway!

I disagree. For a while there, Lance *was* cycling to the masses. And not just in the US, it was pretty much anywhere.
  • skylla
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I disagree. For a while there, Lance *was* cycling to the masses. And not just in the US, it was pretty much anywhere.

Perhaps. But I think it is false to say that it put an awful lot more bikes on the road.