Nationals

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm more interested in the Belgian race, but I can't find a profile anywhere.

Anyone?

It looks a Halford Tour Series course i'm afraid....

http://www.bkgeel.be/bijlagen/20120618040603_bewonersbrief_mail.pdf
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I'm more interested in the Belgian race, but I can't find a profile anywhere.

Anyone?

It looks a Halford Tour Series course i'm afraid....

http://www.bkgeel.be/bijlagen/20120618040603_bewonersbrief_mail.pdf

Talking of which, Endura looked good in that and are taking 12 riders according to Bri Smithy.

Come on Brian, what's the plan?
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    8 riders (Downing - Locke - Thwaites - Bibby - McEvoy - Rowsell - Partridge - Wilkinson)

Plan is simple
    > Win :-)

I'll be in car with Winnie. 4 previous National Road Championships wins in team. 5 if you include U23.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    BrianS wrote:
    8 riders (Downing - Locke - Thwaites - Bibby - McEvoy - Rowsell - Partridge - Wilkinson)

Plan is simple

I'll be in car with Winnie. 4 previous National Road Championships wins in team. 5 if you include U23.

I've nothing against Sky, but would be nice to see Endura get one over on them :wink:

Out of that line up I guess Russ Downing would be best shot, with JTL having not raced much and some having been doing mainly Crit racing recently.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I worry for those who've spent the last month doing only the Halford Tour Series, so Erick Rowsell is my shout for Endura. He's been on form all year, and just rode the Ronde de l'Oise so could have better legs than some. If not Sky, then that's my pick.

And congrats on winning the Tour Series, Brian. Was very enjoyable this year.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yes Brian S - congrats - the Endura team smashed it this year - but I thought the general standard was pretty decent. And it was very exciting to watch most of the time!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Timoid. wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Statement from Sky:

“In an ideal world we’d have our full British contingent competing, but with the Tour de France and Olympics now very much on the horizon, it simply isn’t possible.

Don't really buy this. The Tour is always after the national championships. This this mean no more of the top Sky guys at the national championships from now on? As NY Velocity tweeted. It's all a bit USPS.

UKpostals
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    BrianS wrote:

Plan is simple

:lol:

May---beee that is possible
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    BrianS wrote:

Plan is simple

I've nothing against Sky, but would be nice to see Endura get one over on them :wink:

Out of that line up I guess Russ Downing would be best shot, with JTL having not raced much and some having been doing mainly Crit racing recently.

I'd agree with this other than I like seeing the British champs jersey at the front of the biggest races (after years of never seeing it there). Maybe Sky will let JTL take it as a welcome present ;)
  • Pross
    BrianS wrote:

Plan is simple

Good luck. Winnie would have had more if he'd had support against Tanner and co.

Edited after re-reading!!
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Flite wrote:
    Novice question:
    I'd like to watch the champs live. Can anyone point me to a map of the route, so I can choose a spot to ride to and spectate, or will it be more fun to go to Ampleforth, where the website says there will be plenty of parking and "bike village"?

If you get ourself on the hill up from Newburgh Priory, there is a road at the top which links into the second, finishing circuit.

Probably the oly way on the course of seeing both the first and second circuits along with a bit of beasting on a hill.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Endura squad look strong, but I cant believe sky will ride as five individuals if endura have riders up the road. Endura obviously have a plan or two up their sleeve but it will be hard to beat sky guys. Stannard will have no trouble with the climbs there, look at last year. They will see whos going best but wont be surprised tio see hunt and Luke work for swifty if close at end, otherwise they may all have a crack.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Shame this isn't on the box. Will there be highlights? The nationals really should be broadcast live I reckon, especially when we're trying to push cycling in this country and it's going through a purple patch.

Would be a great time to be the national champ.

Saw an interview with swifty a week or so ago when he was talking about taking this race very seriously. Haven't studied the course, but if it's not too hard I think he'd have to be favourite. Stannard probably next then R Downing and Dowsett and a few others, although I think it might come a little early for the latter after his injury.

I know it was just a silly little crit but have to say the gap between Sky and the continental teams at the London Nocturne a couple of weekends ago was massive. Tbh though the gap between sky and most teams has been pretty big recently.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Shame this isn't on the box. Will there be highlights? The nationals really should be broadcast live I reckon, especially when we're trying to push cycling in this country and it's going through a purple patch.

Would be a great time to be the national champ.

Saw an interview with swifty a week or so ago when he was talking about taking this race very seriously. Haven't studied the course, but if it's not too hard I think he'd have to be favourite. Stannard probably next then R Downing and Dowsett and a few others, although I think it might come a little early for the latter after his injury.

I know it was just a silly little crit but have to say the gap between Sky and the continental teams at the London Nocturne a couple of weekends ago was massive. Tbh though the gap between sky and most teams has been pretty big recently.

highlights on itv4 monday 25th 7pm
  • Pross
    Is it definately not on live? It's usually on the red button.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I'd love to see Dan Patten get a good result and hopefully finally get the pro contract he deserves. A sky rider will win though. Had he not been injured I'd've gone for JTL as an outside bet.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How long is the average national race?

253km for the Belgian one seems longer than I remember some of the races were on pro-cycling manager.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'd like to see Kennaugh win it. He's been on the podium four years in a row now.

It's getting near to the time when he needs to start showing that he's something more than just a good prospect (on the road that is).I'd be happy if Ian Stannard won, after all the work he does for others. Ben Swift could also be a good shout if he rides.

Kristian House is a good call, but he's spent the last month or so riding one hour crits so not sure he'll have the legs to beat the Sky guys.

He's carrying an injury from the Giro
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • philw80
    philw80 Posts: 436
    Me & the wife are planning on heading across on Sunday to watch the race - anyone know much about the road closures? I don't particularly want to get there at stupid o clock (we won't really be watching the womens race). Dont mind riding a few miles if we have to, but not too fat as we'll have little miss philw80 on the back :D looking at getting to Ampleforth Abbey itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    Rick - thank you for your reply. I had checked the BC website, but it took a while to realise that to get the maps and info I wanted about the Nat Champs I needed to click the link to the ryedale grandprix!

Yorkman - thanks, that's helpful info.
  • rick_chasey
    Flite wrote:
    Rick - thank you for your reply. I had checked the BC website, but it took a while to realise that to get the maps and info I wanted about the Nat Champs I needed to click the link to the ryedale grandprix!

Yorkman - thanks, that's helpful info.

No problem. Happy to help.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    i think if a non sky rider wins they will be offered a contract before they have even got on the podium unless its a rider already at a world tour team like Fenn or Blythe who probably have as good a chance as anyone
  • rick_chasey
    Canc won the Swiss TT.

No way.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    That was no 7....any other notable Swiss TT riders? Are the years he doesn't win it the years he doesn't contest?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

Not sure if that article stated it (it was all written in foreign), but Lieuwe Westra is the Dutch TT Champ
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Thwaites of Endura won the National Crit Champs.... Downing (R) second. Endura must move up a level next year.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Estonian TT Championship: Rein Taaramae
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Who's up for campaigning the powers-that-be to allow Wiggins to keep his yellow jumper from the Tour for at least the rest of the season?
    Then, what I'm really angling for, is for Stannard (new national champ), Cav (World champ, obv, but with Olympic jumper just poking out of back pocket) and Wiggo to ride in an arrow-head formation at all races. Maybe with a bit of union flag bunting here and there, too.
    To dispel the accusations of jingoism, they can bung EBH in his Norwegian nat champ jersey on the front every now and then.