Nationals

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,181
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Just over a week to go, who do we think Sky will allocate to wear the British champs jersey for the next season? It's been good to see Wiggins wearing it but he has spent much of his time in the leader's jersey of various stage races so we probably saw a lot more of it when Geraint won. I'd like to see Stannard win as the jersey would be on the front of the bunch for most of the season. I have mixed feelings of the Sky domination of the race, it's disappointing that one team basically carves up the places but after so many years of not seeing the British champ in the biggest races it is nice that this is now virtually guaranteed.

As an aside, I did hope a few weeks ago that the Welsh champions jersey might be showing up in some World Tour events next season as Luke Rowe rode the Welsh champs. Unfortunately he either didn't start or finish. As the Welsh champs is effectively a divisional championship does anyone know if he would have got to wear the jersey in top races had he won?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'd like to see Kennaugh win it. He's been on the podium four years in a row now.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Pross wrote:
    As an aside, I did hope a few weeks ago that the Welsh champions jersey might be showing up in some World Tour events next season as Luke Rowe rode the Welsh champs. Unfortunately he either didn't start or finish. As the Welsh champs is effectively a divisional championship does anyone know if he would have got to wear the jersey in top races had he won?

He wouldn't be allowed to wear it in any UCI races.
  • Pross
    afx237vi wrote:
    Pross wrote:

He wouldn't be allowed to wear it in any UCI races.

Pah, racists!

Rich, yes Kennaugh would be good. Saw him when he took silver? in Abergavenny, he could have won it that year but got worked over a bit by more experienced riders. He wasn't afraid to give his opinion of them afterwards in the presentation either which was refreshing.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:

Rich, yes Kennaugh would be good. Saw him when he took silver? in Abergavenny, he could have won it that year but got worked over a bit by more experienced riders. He wasn't afraid to give his opinion of them afterwards in the presentation either which was refreshing.

Yeah, I went up to watch that. I hope it comes back there some day.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Where is the Nationals this year?

I've no idea what the route will be.

I'm getting on Stanard to take the stripes again. Not heard much about the jersey from anyone in Sky with any ambition to take it this year. Suppose it's hard to do that with your teammate/leader is wearing it :P
  • Pross
    rebs wrote:
    Where is the Nationals this year?

I've no idea what the route will be.

I'm getting on Stanard to take the stripes again. Not heard much about the jersey from anyone in Sky with any ambition to take it this year. Suppose it's hard to do that with your teammate/leader is wearing it :P

North Yorks so I assume it will be hilly!
  • Pross
    Organiser says rolling course but not a slugfest with 6 finishers.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not sure this is worth watching if the field just gets crushed by Sky then they play among themselves then they choose one person to solo a win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'd like to see Kennaugh win it. He's been on the podium four years in a row now.

It's getting near to the time when he needs to start showing that he's something more than just a good prospect (on the road that is).

I'd be happy if Ian Stannard won, after all the work he does for others. Ben Swift could also be a good shout if he rides.

Kristian House is a good call, but he's spent the last month or so riding one hour crits so not sure he'll have the legs to beat the Sky guys.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    Novice question:
    I'd like to watch the champs live. Can anyone point me to a map of the route, so I can choose a spot to ride to and spectate, or will it be more fun to go to Ampleforth, where the website says there will be plenty of parking and "bike village"?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Flite wrote:
    Novice question:
    I'd like to watch the champs live. Can anyone point me to a map of the route, so I can choose a spot to ride to and spectate, or will it be more fun to go to Ampleforth, where the website says there will be plenty of parking and "bike village"?

Google is your friend: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... mpionships
  • Pross wrote:
    Organiser says rolling course but not a slugfest with 6 finishers.

As a local I can confirm it's hard.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Any other top Brits riding? There are a few scattered about who could work with the domestic pros to give Sky a fight - the Endura guys, Millar, Blythe, Cummings, Fenn etc.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Statement from Sky:

TEAM SKY UNVEIL NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS LINE-UP:

Team Sky have confirmed that five of their riders will be competing at the 2012 British National Road Race Championships.

Alex Dowsett, Jeremy Hunt, Luke Rowe, Ian Stannard and Ben Swift will all attend the event, which will take place in Ampleforth, North Yorkshire, on Sunday 25 June.

Dowsett is aiming to add the road race title to the time trial championship he won in Sawtry last September, while Hunt will be gunning for his third white jersey after his successes in 1997 and 2001 respectively.

Stannard meanwhile, is looking to make it third time lucky after his two previous top-five finishes, while Rowe and Swift will both fancy their chances after strong starts to their campaigns.

Reigning champion Bradley Wiggins will not be in attendance though as he is finalising his Tour de France and Olympic preparations, and neither will Mark Cavendish, Chris Froome, Peter Kennaugh and 2010 winner Geraint Thomas.

Race coach Rod Ellingworth said: “The riders that have entered this year are all looking forward to it and every one of them will be going all-out to take the victory. It’s an honour to wear the national colours and if a Team Sky rider can make it three wins from three, it’ll be a massive achievement.

“In an ideal world we’d have our full British contingent competing, but with the Tour de France and Olympics now very much on the horizon, it simply isn’t possible. Bradley, Chris and Mark are all fine-tuning their condition ahead of a busy summer on the road, while Pete and Geraint are now mid-way through a crucial block of Olympic track training.

“It will be a fantastic day and we’re looking forward to racing in front of our British fans.”
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • inkyfingers
    I don't know the ins and outs of the course, but Ben Swift looked like he was coming into some good form in the Tour de Suisse.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    pottssteve wrote:

That's wrong right there.

Sky shouldn't have anything to do with the national championships. Individual riders should attend and compete independently. I realise that doesn't (and can't) really happen, but at least pretend there's some independence.
    exercise.png
  • inkyfingers
    TheStone wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

That's wrong right there.

Sky shouldn't have anything to do with the national championships. Individual riders should attend and compete independently. I realise that doesn't (and can't) really happen, but at least pretend there's some independence.

What's the point in pretending? They will be wearing Sky jerseys and Sky pay their wages.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Sky apperent'y won't be running any team tactics for this race like previous years.

All 5 are racing for themselves this time round with no team orders only info from the team cars.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Stannard or Swifty. My money's on Stannard as he's more likely to be at the Tour.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Yeah I'd say Stannard and Swifty are the favourites. Both looking very strong.

The Endura boys may well be as strong as Sky if they can put out Thwaites, Rowsell, Bibby, Downing, Wilkinson, JTL, and whoever else I've forgotten. I count 3 or 4 potential winners there.

Andy Fenn must also have a shot if he's riding. Cummings was coming into form at Tour de Suisse.

Has the makings of a good one this year. No live coverage though as far as I can tell.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    pottssteve wrote:
    Statement from Sky:

“In an ideal world we’d have our full British contingent competing, but with the Tour de France and Olympics now very much on the horizon, it simply isn’t possible.

Don't really buy this. The Tour is always after the national championships. This this mean no more of the top Sky guys at the national championships from now on? As NY Velocity tweeted. It's all a bit USPS.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Thought Cav was riding? Never mind, was going to go watch to see the WC, but I'll race myself instead.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rick_chasey
    No Cav, no Wiggins.
  • RichN95.
    Timoid. wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Statement from Sky:

“In an ideal world we’d have our full British contingent competing, but with the Tour de France and Olympics now very much on the horizon, it simply isn’t possible.

Don't really buy this. The Tour is always after the national championships. This this mean no more of the top Sky guys at the national championships from now on? As NY Velocity tweeted. It's all a bit USPS.

But the Tour isn't always followed by the Olympics now, is it? And certainly not an Olympics in which they have to big medal hopes on the road in their own country after a Tour in which they also have big chances. I image they know more about the balance of rest and racing than someone on Twitter.
  • inkyfingers
    RichN95 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Statement from Sky:

But the Tour isn't always followed by the Olympics now, is it? And certainly not an Olympics in which they have to big medal hopes on the road in their own country after a Tour in which they also have big chances. I image they know more about the balance of rest and racing than someone on Twitter.

Precisely.

It would actually be a shame if Cav won it as we wouldn't see the jersey on the road until after the WCs (assuming Cav loses the rainbow jersey).

As for Wiggins,it has been fantastic to see him showing off the jersey (albeit he's spent more time wearing yellow hersies this year) but he has a real shot at the big one this year so he's right to focus on that.

The national championships are always a funny race, big riders often skip them, and not just the British ones.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I still say Kristian House. If its lumpy its probably too much for Swifty and Stannard. Cummings would be a good shot too. Does anyone know of an online bookmaker taking bets on this? I've had a quick look, but don't really know where to look and couldn't find anyone taking bets on anything other than TdF....
  • rick_chasey
    I'm more interested in the Belgian race, but I can't find a profile anywhere.

Anyone?
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    after seeing sky's line up i wouldn't be that surprised if there is an upset, Endura has a super strong squad, would quite like to see russ downing win it as i think he deserved another year at sky, there is two fellow Guernsey riders doing it, Tobyn Horton for Raleigh and James McLaughlin for sojasun espoir team. I think if james gets in the right move he can be top U23 rider, fingers crossed.