Dauphine 2012 Spoiler

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Given his MTB background as a dual World Cup winner, I suspect Evans could ride no handed on one wheel backwards up L'Alpe singing Ride of The Valkyries..

Why?

Very very rarely sits up to celebrate a victory. I can't remember the last time he did. He just lifts his right hand.

I used to wonder the same as you. I really wanted him not to be able to the no handed thing, because I probably can't - never really tried. But I've seen him comfortably riding no hands, so I guess he just doesn't do the big celebration thing - something I can relate to.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Given his MTB background as a dual World Cup winner, I suspect Evans could ride no handed on one wheel backwards up L'Alpe singing Ride of The Valkyries..

Why?

Very very rarely sits up to celebrate a victory. I can't remember the last time he did. He just lifts his right hand.

I used to wonder the same as you. I really wanted him not to be able to the no handed thing, because I probably can't - never really tried. But I've seen him comfortably riding no hands, so I guess he just doesn't do the big celebration thing - something I can relate to.

Spend a lot of time winning stuff that matters eh? :P

I'm sure he can ride no handed - i was being a little flippant :P
  • RichN95.

Evans has long been the rider I identify with personally. I think he might, like me, be quite awkward with praise and adulation and really doesn't want a big fuss made. I may be completely wrong though.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Evans has long been the rider I identify with personally. I think he might, like me, be quite awkward with praise and adulation and really doesn't want a big fuss made. I may be completely wrong though.

When the Aussies made a big thing of him coming home to Australia, with everything yellow he seemed to absolutely love it.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    Speaking of Evans, can he actually ride no handed?

Remember this, no?

Evans_Stg7.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    Speaking of Evans, can he actually ride no handed?

Remember this, no?

Evans_Stg7.jpg

I do, I do.

I just like to see people enjoy their victories - especially if I've cheered them on. Feel like a douche when I ostensibly look happier than he is when he crosses the line first.

Anyway, back to Andy. Haven't read all the hoo-ha, but I though the commentators got it wrong - it looked like he was blowing pretty hard to me.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Evans incredibly strong - but also I think that Gilbert did a great job of sitting behind the break, marshalling things and making himself a nuisance to slow down the chase a little bit. May be reading too much into it, but looked like a proper team performance.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

When the Aussies made a big thing of him coming home to Australia, with everything yellow he seemed to absolutely love it.

Yeah, that's kind of different, though. I may be wrong, but I think Evans has a very similar mental make up to me, so I really think that Evans's small time celebrations is just what he's comfortable with doing.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yeah, that's kind of different, though. I may be wrong, but I think Evans has a very similar mental make up to me, so I really think that Evans's small time celebrations is just what he's comfortable with doing.
    Evans might not want a big fuss normally but he certainly seems comfortable on the podium, unlike Wiggins.
    I'd say Evans has a quiet self-confidence and no pretensions, and is happy within himself without much need for the confirmation which comes from great praise or lots of celebration, and which some characters need. His naturalness is good.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    mroli wrote:
    Evans incredibly strong - but also I think that Gilbert did a great job of sitting behind the break, marshalling things and making himself a nuisance to slow down the chase a little bit. May be reading too much into it, but looked like a proper team performance.
    I noticed a BMC man up front slowing down the chase, although I couldn't tell it was Gilbert (I thought it could be Hincapie but I accept if I was wrong). But eitherway, I thought it was good tactics. I like that sort of team support and am surprised not to see if more often. Maybe some judge it as not proper sportsmanship.
    I also liked the way BMC and Omega put the pace on to break up the whole field, spreading it all out and not allowing any sprint trains develop. For once it looked like a real race for everyone in the front 100 or so.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    knedlicky wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    I noticed a BMC man up front slowing down the chase, although I couldn't tell it was Gilbert (I thought it could be Hincapie but I accept if I was wrong). But eitherway, I thought it was good tactics. I like that sort of team support and am surprised not to see if more often. Maybe some judge it as not proper sportsmanship.
    I also liked the way BMC and Omega put the pace on to break up the whole field, spreading it all out and not allowing any sprint trains develop. For once it looked like a real race for everyone in the front 100 or so.
    unless every team member rides side by side and blocks the road it could not be judged as poor sportsmanship. There is always the option to overtake, or force them into the gravel
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

Anyway, back to Andy. Haven't read all the hoo-ha, but I though the commentators got it wrong - it looked like he was blowing pretty hard to me.

I agree. I expect him to announce a virus soon and miss the Tour. Then never work with Bruyneel again.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    knedlicky wrote:
    mroli wrote:

No, I think you're right. Pip and Evans also did the classic one two combo to get away in the first place too.

Delighted the unrepentant Kasheshkin was beaten into third.

How strong was Evans though? It was like he was motor pacing the other two.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    edited June 2012
    The SBS Australia coverage of this is pretty good (commentary a little mixed, but overall the coverage is good).

Worth downloading through cyclingtorrents (as are most of SBS cycling productions - especially Cycling Central).
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Did noone tell Andy you're supposed to extract the blood after the dauphine?
  • peterst6906

Apparently he commented before the start of the Prologue of intentions to win one of the last few stages.

If so, then yesterday can be written off as nothing to be concerned about.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    knedlicky wrote:
    mroli wrote:

it was a very exciting last 10 kms really..preventing sprint trains from developing is good- they are death of animated aggressive racing..yesterday's DL beats anything the Giro offered on most stages for me.
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:
    How strong was Evans though? It was like he was motor pacing the other two.

Absolutely. Always quite exciting / revealing when you see a rider as fast as Evans tear it up with some average pros. Nice to be reminded how good riders like him are.

This stage, and the Wiggins "bunch" finish win. Are we beginning to see GC contenders riding more like they did in the past? ( after all, I never watched racing before '98)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The Dauphine often provides some good racing,it's the last hurrah before the pressure of the Tour kicks in.

Today's stage certainly has the ingredients for an entertaining one, if anybody decides to take the baton.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    Sounds like a good start, though it will probably settle down.

"Fast start to Stage 2 of Dauphiné. Wiggins, Gilbert, Nibali bridge across to breakaway group with Chavanel, Boasson Hagen, Rogers and more" (via Inner Ring).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha, that would be quite a breakaway!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Apparently he commented before the start of the Prologue of intentions to win one of the last few stages.

If so, then yesterday can be written off as nothing to be concerned about.

Hmm...We live in the same place....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    All together with Sky controlling.

3000m of climbing today in total.
    Pierrick Fedrigo (FDJ) doesn’t know if he is able to pedal normally today, as his right kneecap still hurts.

Samuel Sanchez (EUS) who crashed with Fedrigo at km 47 and finished 23.54 later than Cadel Evans yesterday is even more affected. "I had a bad night", he told reporters on the start line. "My ribs hurt. According to the radios, they aren’t broken but it’s not certain. If it’s too painful, I’ll pull out, go back to Spain and undergo further examination."

Dan Martin (GRM) fell on a roundabout closer to the finish. He waited for two hours in an hospital for x-ray. "I’m ok but my head still hurts." He was full of praise for the efficiency of his helmet.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Christophe Kern (EUC), Blel Kadri (ALM), José Sarmiento (LIQ) and David Moncoutié (COF) have a lead of 1.45

40km/h average so far.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • peterst6906
    ddraver wrote:

Yes, I noticed that this morning too.

Want to head out for a ride sometime. I'm heading down through Delft Middenlands on my own this afternoon before watching the end of the stage, but am always up for a ride with someone.

Who do you work for? Shell, ICC, ICTY, OPCW, STL, ICJ or any of the other international organisaitons? (I'm with OPCW).
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Deleted, I'm talking nonsense again.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Live now

http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-6.php

You know you watch too much streamed cycling when you can identify Lauren Jalabert by voice alone.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inkyfingers
    This really is great training for the Tour.

I don't mean for the riders, I mean for the fans. Two hours of watching some random french riders doing battle up the road while Sky tap out a rhythm on the front. The big question is, will Wiggins be in yellow again in July?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:

Yes, I noticed that this morning too.

Want to head out for a ride sometime. I'm heading down through Delft Middenlands on my own this afternoon before watching the end of the stage, but am always up for a ride with someone.

Who do you work for? Shell, ICC, ICTY, OPCW, STL, ICJ or any of the other international organisaitons? (I'm with OPCW).

No, I work for Panterra (geological consultancy) in Leiderdorp - a dull industrial suburb of Leiden. That said, I ve just moved in with two Shell People...

Ride sounds good (but you ll probably have to be gentle with me. I can only do evenings or weekends though. I'm working on finding a few nice routes to commute between DH and Leiden at the mo. I was thinking of joining up with Spartans in Riswijk soon though. Leiden Swift were good fun, but 8 30 Sunday morning is too early if I ve got to ride there!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    Cadel in a great position, with Nibali on his wheel by the looks of it. Wiggins bit further back, probably hoping to lose a few seconds.

Schleck right at the back.