Dauphine 2012 Spoiler

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Great stylish win by Evans. I cannot believe how poor Andy Schlek's form is so near the TDF. Maybe he will not get picked? :lol:
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    That Andy Schleck, is how you do it.

Can't wait to here the latest excuse/whine

Bruyneel said he's not a good climber before the stage and it hurt his feelings.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Anyone know the cut off today? On letour site it said circa 25mins...

Last I heard, Samu was nearly 20 minutes down and that's before it all kicked off.

Not sure what Schleckette is/was up to. Just looked as if he didn't bother.
    Seen this before in Swiss.
    If he has one big attack, circa the Joux Plane, then sits up, he's OK.
    If not, he's not.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    edited June 2012
    Bruyneel said he's not a good climber before the stage and it hurt his feelings.

Whatever is going on inside that team, even leaving aside Bruyneel's comments about Frank, it's clear from the performances that things are pretty rotten at the moment.

As easy as it is to make fun of the Schlecks, there is no way Andy performs that poorly under normal circumstances. Either he was making a statement today or he's lost all motivation.
  • What a different attitude from Evans in the past couple of years. 4 years ago he would have just marked Wiggins wheel and just saved energy, now his a attacking monster. Brilliant stage !!!!
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    A rider from a Bruyneel team getting dropped in this race you say....

Dauphine Effect [tm]
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

Dauphine Effect [tm]

You might think that if he got dropped on the Joux Plane or something, but a 3KM climb at 6%, that's just embarassing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Whatever is going on inside that team, even leaving aside Bruyneel's comments about Frank, it's clear from the performances that things are pretty rotten at the moment.

As easy as it is to make fun of the Schlecks, there is no way Andy performs that poorly under normal circumstances. Either he was making a statement today or he's lost all motivation.

In the Pre Race interview on Sporza, he said he was at the C-D for stage wins, not GC, so maybe that's what he's done....Practicing for the manic attacks he ll need in the Tour maybe.

Oh no, sorry, that's not fashionable is it? He sucks..there...phew, I'm cool again.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    ddraver wrote:

In the Pre Race interview on Sporza, he said he was at the C-D for stage wins, not GC, so maybe that's what he's done....Practicing for the manic attacks he ll need in the Tour maybe.

Oh no, sorry, that's not fashionable is it? He sucks..there...phew, I'm cool again.

Even if he is only there for stage wins, someone of his climbing ability doesnt need to gift 3 minutes to his rivals so he can get into breaks. On form he can ride away and win stages from any of the other GC riders. Getting dropped on a cat 4 wasnt good
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    he should just go for stage wins in the Tour if that's what he's practicing in the Dauphine. He'll win a stage for sure and he doesn't have to find an excuse to suck in the TTs, he can just suck at them and rest for the mtns.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    172 Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin - Barracuda 0:16:39
    173 Ricardo Garcia Ambroa (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:23:54
    174 Peio Bilbao (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi
    175 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711

Samu back at the EE bus. Doesn't look good:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcors73mFE&hd=1
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Tekle stringing them out (only 13secs down in the Prologue, but came in the 3.10 group today. Excited for when he is finally able to ride for himself).
    Getty
    f36840a7468f93be62f4d62270a9a004-getty-511423396.jpg
    Babyface with helmet askew
    6571e7c5b5ecfdbf037e0491e2943552-getty-511421915.jpg
    Looking lean
    527fa40158a427f267cd68d0594da052-getty-511423023.jpg
    Nibali (safe in top group)
    1ac1a9c0b00fcdc738d6849d877f3154-getty-511421948.jpg
    No comment
    186e41ecf56cfa1bcd7d6eaecb9cccfe-getty-511421678.jpg
    07f3eba68a173b7f408aedcdcb4b4351-getty-511421596.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter

Samu back at the EE bus. Doesn't look good:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcors73mFE&hd=1

Ouch. And he still continued :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Which makes you think even more about Andy's appalling lack of fight today.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890

One word - WHY ???? How the hell does having a break caliper under the bottom bracket make sense ??? can you imagine all the S**t coming off both wheels getting lodged down there. Awful looking bike and battleship grey paint job to match.....kinda suits the the TOOL that sits on board it :roll:
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    Considering most cyclists who have turned against Johan & Lance have at some point failed a dope test inc Contador, it doesn't look good for the Schlecks!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Re the Madone, more pics on the velonews site. The brakes are 'aero' and concealed in the front fork. The rear are obviously behind the bb and there is no option to mount on the seat-stays. Alright if you've got someone to clean it but for most of us it will be permanently dirty.
    M.Rushton
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Thought Brian Smith did a good job of biting his tongue wrt Andy Schleck on the Eurosport commentary... tell us what you really think Brian! 8)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Quite like that for a Trek - usually they don't float my boat too much....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:

Dauphine Effect [tm]

Indeed. I'm sure he stil might bag a win at the Tour though.

See what I did there? I'm here all week...
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

Dauphine Effect [tm]

The problem is that Bruyneel riders have never really adhered to that stereotype. They've tended to be in the higher reaches of the Dauphine GC.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Kick-in-the-teeth style lesson for Durbridge
    he did ride in with his team leader Gerrans, I wonder if he was meant to keep the jersey or support his team.

I am sure in the next 15 years he will keep a leaders jersey for more than one day
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Looks like Sanchez will make the time cut. Solid.

You have to wonder though when 'Solid' becomes stupid.

I haven't been watching today, stuck at work, so I'm only going by this thread. If he has broken ribs as reported would his team not be better advised pulling him from the race and allowing more time to recover before the Tour?
    If they are cracked it will be weeks for them not to be an inhibiting distraction in a race.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Evans. What a class act. Me would absolutey already put him as favourite for the Tour.

Thought Andy looked like he was blowing hard myself....
  • rick_chasey
    Speaking of Evans, can he actually ride no handed?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    ddraver wrote:

Quite like that for a Trek - usually they don't float my boat too much....

I don't usually get into much of a fuss about what bikes look like, but that is pure disgusting. It looks like cheap plastic.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,662
    Given his MTB background as a dual World Cup winner, I suspect Evans could ride no handed on one wheel backwards up L'Alpe singing Ride of The Valkyries..

Why?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    Given his MTB background as a dual World Cup winner, I suspect Evans could ride no handed on one wheel backwards up L'Alpe singing Ride of The Valkyries..

Why?

Very very rarely sits up to celebrate a victory. I can't remember the last time he did. He just lifts his right hand.