Giro stage 6 *spoiler*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:
    Was that Goss winning the peloton sprint?

Hope so. Any PTP points in it?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Big peloton. Hmm.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:
    Was that Goss winning the peloton sprint?

Hope so. Any PTP points in it?

Never mind, it was Impey.
  • rick_chasey
    Balls.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Pozzatto 7th- points for some?

Not me, I might add.
  • rick_chasey
    who won then?
    Rubiano

A solid solo victory from way out.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    who won then?
    Rubiano

A solid solo victory from way out.

Good stuff, Looking forward to the highlights...and some ptp points for me? (pozzato)
  • rick_chasey
    2 points for Pozzato...
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Rubino will be well and truly ruined... Get some massaging kid!
  • afx237vi
    2 points for Pozzato...

Tusher wins with 4.
  • disquieting_museeuws
    edited May 2012
    Cavendish still coming in 20 minutes down, looks like he's riding hard as well to beat HD presumably?

Edit - still 10 KM to go.
  • frenchfighter
    1 Adriano Malori (Ita) Lampre - ISD 20:25:28
    2 Michal Golas (Pol) Omega Pharma-Quickstep 0:00:15
    3 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Barracuda 0:00:17
    4 Miguel Angel Rubiano Chavez (Col) Androni Giocattoli 0:00:30
    5 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Barracuda 0:00:32
    6 Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha Team 0:00:36
    7 Peter Stetina (USA) Garmin - Barracuda 0:00:37
    8 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha Team 0:00:39
    9 Enrico Gasparotto (Ita) Astana Pro Team
    10 Luke Roberts (Aus) Team Saxo Bank 0:00:41
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Malori was lanterne rouge in the 2010 TDF. Nice for him to get a day in pink... but one day is all it'll be.
  • Cavendish in at 33'12 with 7 others, last group on road I think - anyone know the cut-off today?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Cavendish in at 33'12 with 7 others, last group on road I think - anyone know the cut-off today?

For an average speed of > 35km/h, I think the cut-off is 10% which would be around 33' 50", so they only just made it
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    Cavendish in at 33'12 with 7 others, last group on road I think - anyone know the cut-off today?

For an average speed of > 35km/h, I think the cut-off is 10% which would be around 33' 50", so they only just made it

That is close - those boys at the back earned their corn today. Presumably the organisers are relieved to not lose the world champion yet!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    That is close - those boys at the back earned their corn today. Presumably the organisers are relieved to not lose the world champion yet!

I imagine they might have given him a little slack (maybe using the crash as justification). A few years ago the Giro paid Armstrong a big appearance fee, so they're not going to kick Cavendish out for the sake of 30 seconds or so. This is a business after all.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    What is up with Moviestar this year? They've had so few wins compared to last year - Valverde's got a couple but last year in the smaller stage races they had that poor ol' Columbia guy who crashed plus Kiriyenka riding really well and wearing a leaders jersey in a small stage race.

This year has been lean. Besides Tondo, are they missing anyone else really strong this year?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What is up with Moviestar this year? They've had so few wins compared to last year - Valverde's got a couple but last year in the smaller stage races they had that poor ol' Columbia guy who crashed plus Kiriyenka riding really well and wearing a leaders jersey in a small stage race.

This year has been lean. Besides Tondo, are they missing anyone else really strong this year?

Soler's missing as well, but mostly they've always been so smitten with Valverde, even when he was banned, that they'll back him with everything they have regardless of how he does.

(They've not done too badly this year, though)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    There's a few famous bodies been left on the roadside today.

DNF Thor Hushovd (Nor) BMC Racing Team
    DNF Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Barracuda
    DNF Romain Feillu (Fra) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
    DNF Pablo Lastras Garcia (Spa) Movistar Team
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Hat to Rubiano - head and shoulders better than everyone else in the break. Lame effort by the peloton - maybe Basso wasn't feeling that great.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:

It wouldn't be a grand tour without it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    iainf72 wrote:

Oh yeah if it's an Italian complaining about Cavendish it MUST be true! :roll:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    can someone translate? apparently translating is deemed nsfw but live streaming of eurosport is ok on the company pcs
  • frenchfighter
    Nothing much as far as I can see. Something about a helicopter.

And that Guardini arrived at 28'28 ", Ferrari and Demare at 23'53 ", Goss, Modolo, Hunter and Nizzolo at 21'11".
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Cav arriving yesterday. I assume that is pus from his wound on his shoulder.

giro_2012_6d.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Puts yesterday in perspective. Eisel is a heavyweight.
    “There were times when I really thought we were on the plane home,” is how Bernhard Eisel described his and world champion Mark Cavendish tough day through the Apennines on stage 6 of the Giro d’Italia on Friday, which saw the Sky riders, together with Taylor Phinney (BMC) and five others finish just a minute inside the time limit.

[…]

“At a certain point we were on the plane back home. I mean, I will never give up, if I’m out of time, I’m out of time. But it was tough. I told Cav twice just to keep thinking about [his daughter] Delilah.”

“Yesterday he was on his hands and knees, and then he crashed as well, he was tired.”

“And I was like ‘that’s it, we’re not going to make it’. There were these long, long roads into a headwind and I was just giving it everything and I was like ‘just keep going.’”

“Then Jez [Jeremy Hunt] came back [from the bunch] and I was thinking ‘if he’s come back, that’s three of us going to go home.’”

“But Cav was recovering really well, he was on the wheel for 20k and then he started dropping me because I was empty. And I just killed myself trying to get through on the last part.”

Eisel was critical of what he felt was an unnecessarily tough stage. “It was one of those Giro stages you just hate,” Eisel said. “All those small ramps [climbs], they were real bastards.”

“As soon as you lost contact with the bunch, it became a day that was never-ending.”

[…]

However, with 20 kilometres to go and even with the extra support, the riders were still dangerously approaching the half hour limit. “We were drilling it,” Eisel said. “For the last 20k I couldn’t see any more. I don’t know what I had, a heat-stroke. Then I had an asthma attack afterwards and I was lying [horizontal] on the bus for 30 minutes.”

“Even the team doctor asked me if I wanted to go home. It was just one of those miserable days.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Cav arriving yesterday. I assume that is pus from his wound on his shoulder.

Grass, probably. He fell off again yesterday.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'