edited May 2012 in Pro race
iainf72 wrote:

Proper stage tomorrow?

Certainly top end chipper, at least:
tappa_06_S01.jpg
Last Kms
ukm_06.jpg

Interesting stuff in the Giro roadbook:
First semi-mountain stage. The only level road segments are to be seen upon finish.
The whole stage features a continuous uphill and downhill route in the middle of the Macerata’s and Fermano’s Apennines valleys, with short and sharp ascents followed by technical descents. The route presents 4 GPM (Cingoli -3a 746 m – km 95.4; Passo della Cappella 2ª m 772 – km 118; Montelupone 3ª m 251 – km 154.7; Montegranaro 3ª m 241 – km 176.5) one of which featuring 4 kilometers of dirt road (Passo della Cappella) with a gradient around 9% and peaks of 15%. The last kilometers run along the Porto Sant’Elpidio hinterland.
After the crossing of Trodica di Morrovalle the race faces the Montegranaro wall featuring an up to 18% gradient on a narrowed roadway. Broad and fast descent up to Casette d’Ete before climbing the Santa Lucia ascent (gradient up to 15%) and re-enter the Adriatica State Road by a technical descent. One more easy to climb ascent up to Corva to re-enter a second time the State Road at 6 km. At 1,800 meters from the finish two more curves interrupted by an underpass lead to the 1,500 meters long and 7.5 meters wide asphalted home stretch.

FAB_6519.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Maybe a stage for somebody like Pozzato or Ballan who can climb OK and isn't a threat on GC?

EDIT - Had a proper look at the profile, think that climb is too far from the finish to allow a small group to stay away so think it will likely someone with a sprint on them. Would say Hushovd if he had shown any semblance of form this year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Maybe a stage for somebody like Pozzato or Ballan who can climb OK and isn't a threat on GC?

EDIT - Had a proper look at the profile, think that climb is too far from the finish to allow a small group to stay away so think it will likely someone with a sprint on them. Would say Hushovd if he had shown any semblance of form this year.
    Which climb would that be?
    altimetria_06.jpg

To put into context, today's stage:
    altimetria_05.jpg

Certainly more of a Pozzato, Ballan, Gasparotto, or maybe Oscar Gatto type stage, I think.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    FAB_6519.jpg[/quote]

That trophy was only 6 inches big before she picked it up.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    That trophy was only 6 inches big before she picked it up.[/size]

Chapeau sir!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Maglia Rosa under threat and by whom :?:

Also Urbino is a University Town and is full of sultry young Italians :oops:

Done yesterdays lumps many, many times from both directions it's known as the Panoramica and is a National Park. From Harmon's commentary you would think it was mainly down but it initially its goes up but then is up and down till it finally descends to Pesaro. A lot of yesterday’s stage gave the impression of a flat featureless area and why go and cycle there but if at any point yesterday the peloton had turn sharp right and continued a few kms it's anything but flat and featureless.
    :)
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Maglia Rosa under threat and by whom :?: )

Thanks to the 5 second split in yesterday if it's a bunch finish both Goss and Cavendish will take the jersey if they win and Navardauskus doesn't place (which is pretty unlikely))

Goss can certainly be there at the end, so I think he's got a good chance, and I wouldn't be too surprised if we see Garmin and Greenedge working hard to make sure Cavendish isn't
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'd be really surprised if the sprinters get a look in today.
    Must be 3000m+ of climbing in there.
    exercise.png
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578
    Just got 120 on Cav on Betfair. At those odds worth a punt.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TheBigBean wrote:

No. Those odds should be saying 'not a hope in hell - easy money for the bookies'. !
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:

No. Those odds should be saying 'not a hope in hell - easy money for the bookies'. !

Having said that, the best odds I've seen for Cav are 51 with 18 being more normal.

Goss is favorite at 8 or 7, with Bennati & Pozzato at 9 or 10 with Gasparoto at 14.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    FAB_6519.jpg

That trophy was only 6 inches big before she picked it up.
    [/quote]

Which also implies that it was modelled on the penis of the Muscovy duck! :shock:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... itals.html
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    ballonia is in the break.... typical ptp choice changing curse
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    TheStone wrote:

Agree with this. If any of the GC teams want to push it on the sprinters will be out of there. I can see a sprint with no sprinters in it from a group of about 30-40.
  • rick_chasey
    smithy21 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Agree with this. If any of the GC teams want to push it on the sprinters will be out of there. I can see a sprint with no sprinters in it from a group of about 30-40.

If Rojas was riding I'd expect him to be there.

I expect Goss to be there too - especially since greenedge are quite organised.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

Having said that, the best odds I've seen for Cav are 51 with 18 being more normal.

Goss is favorite at 8 or 7, with Bennati & Pozzato at 9 or 10 with Gasparoto at 14.

There is a comical range of odds traded on Betfair on cav from 17.5 to 150. Currently it is around 50.

Any stage with Goss as favourite and Bennati as 2nd fav, I will take 100+ on Cav.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

There is a comical range of odds traded on Betfair on cav from 17.5 to 150. Currently it is around 50.

Any stage with Goss as favourite and Bennati as 2nd fav, I will take 100+ on Cav.

Fair enough. I take a view with betting which is less concerned with the upside, and more concern with how likely I am to get my cash back :p.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    From yday
    050-PIC277528421.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Balls forgot to set this to record - and my sky box isn't set up to program it remotely.

Ah well.
  • TheBigBean
    Balls forgot to set this to record - and my sky box isn't set up to program it remotely.

Ah well.

I think if you have bothered setting up Sky Player or Sky Go, then you can record remotely. If you haven't bothered setting up the ability to watch sport at work, then there is no hope for you!
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:

Ah well.

I think if you have bothered setting up Sky Player or Sky Go, then you can record remotely. If you haven't bothered setting up the ability to watch sport at work, then there is no hope for you!

Nah my box isn't hooked up to the phone line.

I can watch it live. I'd rather watch it in my pants or naked at home < not a sexual thing. I just find clothes restrictive .
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    TheBigBean wrote:

Ah well.

I can watch it live. I'd rather watch it in my pants or naked at home < not a sexual thing. I just find clothes restrictive .

No wonder you like wearing Lycra :wink:
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:

Ah well.

I don't think it is a phone line thing. It is a magic airwaves things. Try it. You could also try your clothes preference at work, but I'm not sure how successful that will be
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'd rather watch it in my pants or naked at home < not a sexual thing. I just find clothes restrictive .

Uh-huh. Tell it to the Judge ;)
  • TMR
    From yday
    050-PIC277528421.jpg

Who is that with Cav Frenchie? It looks a bit like the Team Manager known as 'The Prince' for his regal dress style and demeanour. But it's probably someone far more important :)
  • rick_chasey
    I'd rather watch it in my pants or naked at home < not a sexual thing. I just find clothes restrictive .

We all must do it.

Cane it home on the bike - get dragged down the the weight of all the scalps you've taken on the way in, sweating profusely.

Take it all off to cool off / let the sweat evaporate. Turn on the cycling. Strech out to sort out your hamstrings / problematic part of body.

Once that'd done, sit down, watch the cycling.
  • TMR

We all must do it.

Cane it home on the bike - get dragged down the the weight of all the scalps you've taken on the way in, sweating profusely.

Take it all off to cool off / let the sweat evaporate. Turn on the cycling. Strech out to sort out your hamstrings / problematic part of body.

Once that'd done, sit down, watch the cycling.

I've been known to drive to the station to collect my wife from work dressed only in my work shirt and boxers. So lucky I never had a break down! Although I did get clocked by the woman across the street and her running club friends one evening when I walked out to the car and the wind blew my shirt up in a Marilyn Monroe moment. Albeit one that was significantly less attractive :(
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Mad - it is Savio, Androni's DS, apologising for Ferrari maybe.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • TMR
    Yay! I am learning stuff :)

Thanks for the confirmation chaps.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962

Ah well.

Series link?