F1 and Cycling cross paths

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I think it's quite important to understand the difference between making and assembling. It's also important where the ultimate financial benefit of that assembly rests.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    massarm.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    pat1cp wrote:
    I'm sure I read somewhere that we are now making more cars than ever, just under foreign ownership. Oh, and the unions aren't as hostile and a little less militant.
    You mean that working people have been cowed by globalisation and a near police state into accepting a situation where incompetent senior managers can get away with paying themselves tens of millions of pounds whilst workers who are made redundant after years of service are offered nothing; where wages are no higher in real terms the they were 35 years ago; where no security, casualised labour is the norm; where risks are carried by the public purse whilst profits are privatised and directed into the pockets of the already rich, and where the pursuit of ever-higher profit margins can see financially sound companies crippled as investors move their money into 'investments' that offer higher returns, with no thought of the moral implications of what they are doing.

Meanwhile, the gap between the rich and the poor gets ever-wider, wealth becomes ever-more concentrated into the hands of a few and normal society breaks down as the dogmas of the 'there is no such things as society' and 'look after number one' 'free market' dominate everything that everyone does.

In my view a little more union militancy would be a damn good thing, especially if led by a few more union leaders in the mould of Jimmy Reid, who helped to preserve tens of thousands of jobs on Clydeside before going on to be rector of Glasgow University.
    To the students [of Glasgow University] I address this appeal. Reject these attitudes. Reject the values and false morality that underlie these attitudes. A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings. Reject the insidious pressures in society that would blunt your critical faculties to all that is happening around you, that would caution silence in the face of injustice lest you jeopardise your chances of promotion and self-advancement. This is how it starts, and before you know where you are, you're a fully paid-up member of the rat-pack. The price is too high. It entails the loss of your dignity and human spirit. Or as Christ put it, "What doth it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul?"

Profit is the sole criterion used by the establishment to evaluate economic activity. From the rat race to lame ducks. The vocabulary in vogue is a give-away. It's more reminiscent of a human menagerie than human society. The power structures that have inevitably emerged from this approach threaten and undermine our hard-won democratic rights. The whole process is towards the centralisation and concentration of power in fewer and fewer hands. The facts are there for all who want to see. Giant monopoly companies and consortia dominate almost every branch of our economy. The men who wield effective control within these giants exercise a power over their fellow men which is frightening and is a negation of democracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdIL-yPKLvM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 1285.html#

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Ima ... 624481.pdf
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    massarm.jpg
    Nice one, but it would perhaps be better if it said 'You would have never won a race without Ferrari' - 'Neither would you'.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I think the German union system is so successful because it has worked on a compromise between labour and capital for decades now.

The unions have to have a seat on the board of any large company in Germany, but with that power comes responsibility... The reason it works so well is that neither side oversteps its mark, as has so often been the case on both sides in Britain. It's a system that works excellently well, and I say that from a libertarian right position.

Basically, if the oppositional nature of labour relations is removed you can create a compromise that sees industry remain competitive because (as opposed to in spite of) workers being rewarded properly for their input.

That and I got no love for beating Alain Prost? You people
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    I think the German union system is so successful because it has worked on a compromise between labour and capital for decades now.

The unions have to have a seat on the board of any large company in Germany, but with that power comes responsibility... The reason it works so well is that neither side oversteps its mark, as has so often been the case on both sides in Britain. It's a system that works excellently well, and I say that from a libertarian right position.

Basically, if the oppositional nature of labour relations is removed you can create a compromise that sees industry remain competitive because (as opposed to in spite of) workers being rewarded properly for their input.

That and I got no love for beating Alain Prost? You people

I agree with you from a libertarian left perspective. Obviously only until the downfall of capitalism.

As for Prost, was he in a car? Otherwise... :|
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

As for Prost, was he in a car? Otherwise... :|

No... but he may as well have been the way he left me for dead on the descent. I imagine he laughed at any mishap that could befall him at 100kph
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    BikingBernie,

Thank you so, so much for the youtube link to the mighty Jimmy Reid. I've just spent the past hour surfing from your link, and I cannot tell you the memories it brought back (I was in primary school in Dumbarton during the UCS work-in). I'd forgotton he had joined the SNP when he became disillusioned with New Labour. Saw right through them.

A genuine hero.

Thank you.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    ZwSBz156B7OewmFRf.jpg

Il campione di Formula 1, Jarno Trulli, dopo il suo ritiro dal mondo delle auto, ha scoperto una nuova passione, ovvero quella per la bicicletta. Ed ecco che quest’anno si schiererà insieme ai 12mila che domenica 20 maggio partiranno alla volta dei mitici Nove Colli.

Jarno Trulli in the Nove Colli From Formula 1 car, the Formula 1 of Granfondo The champion of Formula 1, Jarno Trulli, after his retirement from the world of cars, has discovered a new passion, for bicycles. And so this year it will line up alongside 12,000 Sunday 20 May will start at a time of mythical Nove Colli.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    AvbI_CuCQAA-n1v.jpg:large
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    AvbI_CuCQAA-n1v.jpg:large

DC wore this top when he and Jenson Button went for a ride along the coast from Monaco to Italy, shown on the BBC this weekend. Paul Di Resta sometimes joins them and Timo Glock is another regular on 2 wheels.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • More importantly they are riding Dolan Ares frames, despite my sig that's what I race on 8) lovely british supplied bike, love it lots
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Alonso

alonso.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Zanardi is an truly amazing guy. His horrific crash was in 2001 at the Lausitzring, in 2003 he went back to the Lausitzring and drove the last 13 laps of the race which he never completed. The times he set in those 13 laps would have qualified him 5th for the race that weekend. Apparently there wasn't a dry eye in the house. He gave a speech saying he'd always consider himself partly German due to the enormous blood transfusion he'd needed in the aftermath of his crash.

He raced professionally in 2004 in the World Touring Car Championship, and won his first race since his crash in 2005.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    edited September 2012
    Jenson Button's riding round Singapore in a jersey with rainbow bands on one of the sleeve cuffs:
    A3DryA8CIAAlOf6.jpg
    So is he breaching etiquette, or is it to represent his F1 World Driver's Championship? ;)
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Jenson again.

13NTnN.St.56.jpg

If you didn't know their identities and had to guess which one was an ex Tour de France winner you wouldn't pick Jan would you...
    The legs start to give it away. MAX KRAFT
    img_0114_1_600.jpg
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,172
    Alex Wurz ex F1 and current Sportscar driver is an ex BMX champion who tweeted that he could wear his rainbow bands legit. Nicolas Vouillioz MTB DH multiple champion was IRC Rally champion in 2008.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Spent 5 mins trying to figure out if its Paul Di Resta on the right.. then realised David Coulthard is sitting next to him :roll:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Gilbert1/status/251411448478199808/photo/1

A30xYV_CcAAvGrt.jpg
  • RichN95 wrote:
    There are many very brilliant people in F1 doing incredible things which filter down into everyday life.

Can you give examples of this? Curiosity.

Engine management systems, data logging, more effective crumple zones/passenger protection, active suspension, stability control, fuel efficiency (really), composite materials, etc.

Not all invented in F1, but all trickle down to road vehicles. Whether you consider that a good thing is another debate...
  • Anyone else remember the stage of the '89 Tour that finished at the Spa motor racing circuit? Here's Raul Alcala winning it!

11141%7C000002207%7Cdbe6_orh100000w575_03-Alcala-3.jpg

Maybe the could add a few laps to Liege Bastogne Liege, just to make it a bit harder! :wink:

I've still got that jersey in a cupboard somewhere...
  • I've still got that jersey in a cupboard somewhere...

Prendas are doing them again, if you want another one? :wink:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=3201
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    Jenson Button's riding round Singapore in a jersey with rainbow bands on one of the sleeve cuffs:
    A3DryA8CIAAlOf6.jpg
    So is he breaching etiquette, or is it to represent his F1 World Driver's Championship? ;)

To answer as the company that designed and produced Jenson's Ichiban kit: "As a World Champion we thought he was very deserving to wear the rainbow stripes on his new team kit. Jenson is a great ambassadors for cycling and triathlon, he did ask if he could/should have the rainbow stripes, to which we answered 'yes'. We hope everyone likes his kit and we look forward to hearing any more thoughts on this matter.
  • New team manager and his new support vehicle :wink:
    photo_141501.jpg

I know it's F3, but you have to start somewhere!
  • img_5609_cn_600.jpg

Jarno Trulli & Bruno Junquiera
  • rick_chasey
    6a00d8341c565553ef017ee53a42cb970d-500wi
  • 6a00d8341c565553ef017ee53a42cb970d-500wi

OK, who's the guy on the left?
  • rick_chasey
    Greasedscotsman has just revealed he's too tight to pay for Sky ;).

he's the presenter
  • Greasedscotsman has just revealed he's too tight to pay for Sky ;).

Your right, I do have Sky for Eurosport, I just don't pay for the F1 programmes. :shock: