rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    boonen_mclaren_specialized_48_600.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    6a00d83451b18a69e20148c75f419e970c-600wi

Filth.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm glad I can only recognise Button and Alonso in these threads. What a shocking hobby F1 is.

F1 is sh*t. Competition about who has the most money, the best tech's and the fastest car. Load of sh*t.

It depends how you want to view it really. As a pure sporting contest it leaves a lot to be desired, but let's not pretend cycling is wall to wall excitement.
    However, as an exercise in high-end engineering and innovation it is astonishing. There are many very brilliant people in F1 doing incredible things which filter down into everyday life.
    Also it's presentation, particularly on TV, is second to none. Compare it to cycling which has barely moved out of the 70s.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Aye. Before cycling F1 was my favourite sport.

It now resides as the #2. Will watch most races and my obsession in my early years leaves me surprisingly well informed.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    There are many very brilliant people in F1 doing incredible things which filter down into everyday life.

Can you give examples of this? Curiosity.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    There are many very brilliant people in F1 doing incredible things which filter down into everyday life.

Years ago I think ABS braking was originally conceived in Formula one... Could be wrong.
  • rick_chasey
    Lewis+Hamilton+Chris+Hoy+2008+Race+Champions+xZLcn0Qmv5El.jpg
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    F1 is a dreadful corporate whore-fest with close historical ties to Fascism and it's main aim is the glorification of speed, neo-liberal capitalism and the car as a symbol of power and status*. It is also very boring.

Err, don't watch it then.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited May 2012
    6a00d83451b18a69e20148c75f419e970c-600wi

Filth.

Jense knows EVERYONE!

(and has a jersey with No. 1 written on it! :shock: )
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,166
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm glad I can only recognise Button and Alonso in these threads. What a shocking hobby F1 is.

F1 is sh*t. Competition about who has the most money, the best tech's and the fastest car. Load of sh*t.

It depends how you want to view it really. As a pure sporting contest it leaves a lot to be desired, but let's not pretend cycling is wall to wall excitement.
    However, as an exercise in high-end engineering and innovation it is astonishing. There are many very brilliant people in F1 doing incredible things which filter down into everyday life.
    Also it's presentation, particularly on TV, is second to none. Compare it to cycling which has barely moved out of the 70s.

This. I'm not an F1 fan although it has been more entertaining in the last few years but it is really a high end R&D project for the engineering industry. Most of our cars benefit from a lot of technology that would have taken longer, or may not have appeared at all, if it hadn't been for the money pumped into F1. In many ways pro cycling is a budget version - people riding around dressed in adverts while helping to develop cycling technology.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Pross wrote:
    Has Bernie's daughter spent so much of his cash that he now has to be given a free bike? :shock:
    Perhaps he is a bit short after lending cash to his F1 mate Max Mosley (son of Oswald Mosley, who was leader of those darlings of the Daily Mail, the British Blackshirts) so that Mosley could spend it on whores to help him act out his SS guard/ holocaust victim themed sado-masochistic fantasies.

I bet it is a real hoot when Ecclestone has Mosley round for tea, what with Ecclestone's admiration of Hitler as a "strong leader' 'who was able to get things done", and his view that events such as the Holocaust were something that Hitler was "persuaded to do", "whether he wanted to do or not". Let's just hope that Ecclestone has given up on the idea that Max Mosley should become the British Prime Minister!

Thinking back to the Mosley affair, this quote still makes me smile:
    Almost my favourite moment in the Max Mosley affair was when the FIA president defended himself against condemnation from Mercedes and BMW by pointing out both firms' collusion with the Third Reich – and let's not even start on Enzo Ferrari. Don't you adore how hotly contested the Biggest Fascist in Formula One title is? It's quite the most exciting bit of the "sport".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... ormula-one
  • rick_chasey
    Was waiting for the Mosely - son of - chat to start.

:roll:.

I think the nearest Mosely comes to the stuff his father got up to happens behind closed doors - and occasionally in front of hidden NOTW cameras.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Almost everything that makes up a modern car. Also advances in such things as synthetic materials, alloys, aerodynamics, computer modelling, cooling systems etc, etc. F1 teams, are amongst the biggest filers of patents.
  • BikingBernie
    RichN95 wrote:
    Years ago I think ABS braking was originally conceived in Formula one... Could be wrong.
    Yes, you are wrong. ABS was first developed for use on aeroplanes when landing in the 1920's. In any case F1 cars are barred from using ABS and all the other electronic safety and traction control systems that are found in - and were specifically developed for - modern passenger cars.
  • Benjamin Hall
    Benjamin Hall Posts: 608
    120503_Gilbert_Button

What is the jersey Button is wearing? I want that!
  • BikingBernie
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Almost everything that makes up a modern car. Also advances in such things as synthetic materials, alloys, aerodynamics, computer modelling, cooling systems etc, etc. F1 teams, are amongst the biggest filers of patents.
    Yeah, right. And if it wasn't for the money spent on the moon landings, we wouldn't have Teflon pans...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 14648.html
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

A lot of the carbon technology used in cycling plus wind tunnel testing will have come via F1 (as well as the aerospace industry). Boardman's '92 pursuit bike was developed by Lotus using F1 technology and that win together with subsequent lottery funding has arguably helped lead to the recent success for British cycling.
  • BikingBernie
    I think the nearest Mosely comes to the stuff his father got up to happens behind closed doors - and occasionally in front of hidden NOTW cameras.
    Point is that, when it comes to their attitudes, both Max Mosley and Ecclestone give every appearance of having as much sympathy for Fascist 'values' as Mosley's father did.
  • rick_chasey
    Sod that argument - I like the spectacle!

It's good fun entertainment. I enjoy watching it.

For sure, I'm not the most comfortable with what went on in Bahrain. I didn't watch the Bahrain GP as a result. Won't stop me watching Monza or Spa etc.
  • BikingBernie
    Pross wrote:
    Boardman's '92 pursuit bike was developed by Lotus using F1 technology...
    Wrong again, Boardman's bike was designed by Mike Burrows. Lotus simply saw a marketing opportunity and had the cash needed to actually build a competition ready version of it.
  • rick_chasey
    Point is that, when it comes to their attitudes, both Max Mosley and Ecclestone give every appearance of having as much sympathy for Fascist 'values' as Mosley's father did.

No, that's not true.

Bernie is quite a basic individual. He wants cash - regardless of the politics. He's totally not fussed. If Pol Pot gave him cash for F1 and he recon it'd make him and F1 more money he'd have gone.

Mosely never really got involved in that stuff in the same way AFAIK.

I'm unusually intimate with the history of British Fascism since I studied it in quite a lot of detail at uni and Max Mosely's got nothing to do with far right politics. He just doesn't.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, Formula one's not political. If it is, it's a consequence of their hunt for cash, rather than any genuine political persuasions.

Cycling's hardly greener than green when it comes to that anyway. Just take a look at what's going on behind the scenes at Astana and Katusha.

I watch F1, as many do, because we enjoy the spectacle.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I made this one a couple of years ago. About as exciting as this sport gets.

button4.jpg?t=1318112430
    Contador is the Greatest
  • BikingBernie
    edited May 2012
    Max Mosely's got nothing to do with far right politics. He just doesn't.
    You mean he is not actively involved in far right politics. He and Ecclestone clearly have sympathies with the sort of 'values' that the right and far-right believe in, from an admiration of autocratic leaders through to the belief that the super-rich should be taxed even less then they are now.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Boardman's '92 pursuit bike was developed by Lotus using F1 technology...
    Wrong again, Boardman's bike was designed by Mike Burrows. Lotus simply saw a marketing opportunity and had the cash needed to actually build a competition ready version of it.

Burrows came up with the initial design, Lotus (utilising their F1 facilities) took the design and refined it into the finished product after the UCI lifted its ban on monocoque frames including perfecting it in their wind tunnel. Obviously the bulk of the credit is with Burrows but it was only with the involvement of Lotus and their F1 knowledge that it reached its full potential (and got built as no bike manufacturer was prepared to do so).
  • rick_chasey
    Max Mosely's got nothing to do with far right politics. He just doesn't.
    You mean he is not actively involved in far right politics. He and Ecclestone clearly have sympathies with the sort of 'values' that the right and far-right believe in.

*facepalm* I forgot arguing with you is worse than arguing with me.

Sure, whatever.

Motorsport drivers do spend a lot of time on their bike so I think they get into cycling from that side.
  • BikingBernie
    Is it the going round and round in circles that you find exciting, or when they stop to have their tyres changed? :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    Is it the going round and round in circles that you find exciting,

What, like the argument we just had? :P
  • BikingBernie
    Bernie is quite a basic individual. He wants cash - regardless of the politics. He's totally not fussed. If Pol Pot gave him cash for F1 and he recon it'd make him and F1 more money he'd have gone.
    As I said, Ecclestone and F1 perfectly embody - and promote - the 'values' of modern neo-liberal capitalism...
  • RichN95.
    As I said, Ecclestone and F1 perfectly embody - and promote - the 'values' of modern neo-liberal capitalism...

If those values give us McLaren instead of British Leyland, then I'm all for it.