Paris - Roubaix *spoiler*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Cheers, strictly speaking the bits you highlighted are true. :wink:
    Bizarrely, Fabri allowed the current world champion to continue riding but said that once he got to the finish he would be disqualified and removed from the final results.

Well the full quote is:

But a UCI commissaire, Jos Fabri, had seen the illegal bike change and pulled up beside Maertens during the race and told him that he was going to be disqualified. Maertens claimed innocence and said he would appeal. Bizarrely, Fabri allowed the current world champion to continue riding but said that once he got to the finish he would be disqualified and removed from the final results.

Who knows what really happened? Not me - I was four years old at the time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    iainf72 wrote:
    nevman wrote:
    Thanks-I make it 41kph average over the last hour,approx 25mph,over setts,chased by the peloton.Shakes head?

Well, chased by Hayman and Stannard for a lot of it.

And I know who I'd bet on every time in a Boonen vs either one of those battle.

What I mean-was he chased,seemed they let him get away from that distance which is odd,I thought you could pull back a minute over 10K?
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • RichN95.
    nevman wrote:
    What I mean-was he chased,seemed they let him get away from that distance which is odd,I thought you could pull back a minute over 10K?

The one minute per 10k rule really applies to a full peloton (lead by the likes of HTC) chasing down a breakaway in a stage race, such as a Tour. For Boonen v Hayman/Stannard or similar in a monument, different rules apply. (In fact there are no rules)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    nevman wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    nevman wrote:
    Thanks-I make it 41kph average over the last hour,approx 25mph,over setts,chased by the peloton.Shakes head?

Well, chased by Hayman and Stannard for a lot of it.

And I know who I'd bet on every time in a Boonen vs either one of those battle.

More Eurosport and less Phil & Paul for you Sir! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

The one minute per 10k rule really applies to a full peloton (lead by the likes of HTC) chasing down a breakaway in a stage race, such as a Tour. For Boonen v Hayman/Stannard or similar in a monument, different rules apply. (In fact there are no rules)

And what I meant more specifically was, in terms of the type of race, Boonen is a grade A top tier rider in this kind of race. Guys like Hayman or Stannard are at least a couple of levels below him (don't mean that disrespectfully, it's just true)
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

And what I meant more specifically was, in terms of the type of race, Boonen is a grade A top tier rider in this kind of race. Guys like Hayman or Stannard are at least a couple of levels below him (don't mean that disrespectfully, it's just true)

I completely agree. Just the same as in 2010 when the also rans expected Boonen to single handedly chase down Cancellara to similar effect.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Thanks for the insight-just got Eurosport player so this was the first pave event Ive seen live.Very impressed.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    A lot of people are saying that the result would have been different if Cancellara had been there but I dont think Boonen would have been beaten. I'd guess that Canc would be on his wheel when he went or at least able to bridge. There would be no way Fabu would have dropped Boonen and then Boonen would have taken him with his resurgent sprinting form.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,188
    Just got back off holiday, remembered to set Sky+ from my phone and settled down for an evening of watching it live having avoided the result all week. Pressed play to get a screen saying my subscription didn't allow me to watch did I want to upgrade. I only went and recorded the HD channel - what an idiot. So thanks for the spoiler thread, it was like watching live (just without any pictures of bikes and cobbles) ;) Hope Rick managed to get the ceiling clean after!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    A lot of people are saying that the result would have been different if Cancellara had been there but I dont think Boonen would have been beaten. I'd guess that Canc would be on his wheel when he went or at least able to bridge. There would be no way Fabu would have dropped Boonen and then Boonen would have taken him with his resurgent sprinting form.

Agreed. Not sure who's saying otherwise!
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Just got back off holiday, remembered to set Sky+ from my phone and settled down for an evening of watching it live having avoided the result all week. Pressed play to get a screen saying my subscription didn't allow me to watch did I want to upgrade. I only went and recorded the HD channel - what an idiot. So thanks for the spoiler thread, it was like watching live (just without any pictures of bikes and cobbles) ;) Hope Rick managed to get the ceiling clean after!

More or less.
  • frenchfighter
    Pross, last 75km from Sporza if you fancy:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpzpc7_pr-12-1-2_sport
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver

Agreed. Not sure who's saying otherwise!

I think second place might have been different... ;). Otherwise I agree with FF, Boonen just had everything going right that day.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver

Great work that man! Wish I was so talented!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,188
    Pross, last 75km from Sporza if you fancy:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpzpc7_pr-12-1-2_sport

Cheers Frenchie, should help the first day back in work pass a bit quicker tomorrow ;)
  • frenchfighter
    Video of that first nasty crash in the Arenberg. This makes it looks painful and there is some total fucking dickhead in the background laughing twice. Would have given that mofo a piece of my mind if I'd been there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Ldotn8XLE#!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Video of that first nasty crash in the Arenberg. This makes it looks painful and there is some total ******* dickhead in the background laughing twice. Would have given that mofo a piece of my mind if I'd been there.

Brilliant video.

Can't see the guy laughing. Probably wasted anyway.
  • ddraver
    Video of that first nasty crash in the Arenberg. This makes it looks painful and there is some total ******* dickhead in the background laughing twice. Would have given that mofo a piece of my mind if I'd been there.

Brilliant video.

Jaysus - shows just how flipping fast they re going!
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter

Brilliant video.

Cant see him, but can hear him!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Video of that first nasty crash in the Arenberg. This makes it looks painful and there is some total ******* dickhead in the background laughing twice. Would have given that mofo a piece of my mind if I'd been there.

Brilliant video.

Think Rick's right, he's probably totally plastered. Quite a difficult video to watch, when they try to pick the crashed Net App rider up and he's yelling in pain.
  • ddraver
    possibly nervous laughter given that a bike just flew past an inch away from his nose at 30mph!
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Brilliant video.

Think Rick's right, he's probably totally plastered. Quite a difficult video to watch, when they try to pick the crashed Net App rider up and he's yelling in pain.

I agree, I found watching that video quite uncomfortable for some reason. I found the reaction of the OPQS rider to be quite interesting... some dude is lying, unmoving, on the floor behind him and he barely flinches, choosing to fiddle with his bike instead. That's not a criticism... just an observation on the psyche of a pro cyclist.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:

I agree, I found watching that video quite uncomfortable for some reason. I found the reaction of the OPQS rider to be quite interesting... some dude is lying, unmoving, on the floor behind him and he barely flinches, choosing to fiddle with his bike instead. That's not a criticism... just an observation on the psyche of a pro cyclist.

Cycling is really gritty.

They try and make it all look cool and clean with super clean bikes, tight kit, shaven legs and mirrored lenses, but it's gritty.

You get covered in road sh!t, you p!ss by the side of the road (or p!ss yourself if you're Dutch and ride roubaix), smear food all over your face, sweat so much your shorts turn white, crash, cycle on with wounds, leave your rivals literally writhing on the floor, and then get home and inject loads of illegal stuff into your veins and arse.

Then you do it all again the next day.
  • Cycling is really gritty.

They try and make it all look cool and clean with super clean bikes, tight kit, shaven legs and mirrored lenses, but it's gritty.

You get covered in road sh!t, you p!ss by the side of the road (or p!ss yourself if you're Dutch and ride roubaix), smear food all over your face, sweat so much your shorts turn white, crash, cycle on with wounds, leave your rivals literally writhing on the floor, and then get home and inject loads of illegal stuff into your veins and ars*.

And that's just the women!

:wink:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

You get covered in road sh!t, you p!ss by the side of the road (or p!ss yourself if you're Dutch and ride roubaix), smear food all over your face, sweat so much your shorts turn white, crash, cycle on with wounds, leave your rivals literally writhing on the floor, and then get home and inject loads of illegal stuff into your veins and ars*.

Would you not consider taking the bus to work instead?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Interesting bit on Tommeke's wheel choice here:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/04/ ... ere_215119
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    Interesting bit on Tommeke's wheel choice here:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/04/ ... ere_215119
    What that article doesn't mention is how much stronger and compliant carbon deep set wheels have become. Take a look at Backstedt's broken carbon wheels or hincape's or riders who just got bounced off not that long ago. Boonen's 80kg. That's a lot of force through the wheels. That's the difference.
  • Sure the wheels have got better, but Cancellara won Roubaix in 2010 with 303s. Think Boonen is just conservative with his kit.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure the wheels have got better, but Cancellara won Roubaix in 2010 with 303s. Think Boonen is just conservative with his kit.

Oh for sure. But two years before that Hincape and Backstedt smashed 'em up - both in the Arenberg - so you can see QS's conservatism a bit.

Breaking wheels in the Arenberg costs you a lot more than the rims gain, so they better be very sure.

I also think box sets look better :oops: