Di2

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What about the jersey hopefuls like Cav, Schleck, et al. Is this stuff convincing enough to be used by the guys who are there for more than testing kit?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What about the jersey hopefuls like Cav, Schleck, et al. Is this stuff convincing enough to be used by the guys who are there for more than testing kit?

Wiggins was using a prototype Di2 in the worlds TT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... wfrc#t=42s

You can see how happy he was with it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Ah yes, that's exactly what I mean. You want your best riders using the stuff you know works. So what I'm asking is whether the finished articles Di2 and EPS being used by the GC contenders - not for testing but because it is the preferred choice?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Ah yes, that's exactly what I mean. You want your best riders using the stuff you know works. So what I'm asking is whether the finished articles Di2 and EPS being used by the GC contenders - not for testing but because it is the preferred choice?

I think nowadays more riders than not are electronic.

Not sure - don't pay that much attention to kit until it goes wrong when I'm watching cycling.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think the Shimano boys are mainly on Di2. Campag EPS is just Movistar at the moment I think, not sure whether its being used across the board or just heavily tested. SRAM are still old school and probably will be for the foreseeable future. It seems like in future it will be the preferred choice, certainly at that level.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Preferred choice by the rider or preferred choice by the manufacturer trying to shift kit? Teams often get kit they have to use dictated to them by their manufacturers.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    BigMat wrote:
    SRAM are still old school and probably will be for the foreseeable future.
    Its hard to improve on Red tbh.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Preferred choice by the rider or preferred choice by the manufacturer trying to shift kit? Teams often get kit they have to use dictated to them by their manufacturers.

They also frequently get a load of stickers to brand up what are obviously another manufacturer's components.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    edited March 2012
    notsoblue wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    SRAM are still old school and probably will be for the foreseeable future.
    Its hard to improve on Red tbh.

Depends which year Red... Lots of pros used the Force FD instead of the Red one up to 2010 as it was stiffer. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/alb ... ies-madone . TBH front derailleurs aren't SRAM's strong point and the only bit of kit I prefer on my 105-equipped R3 to my Red/Force R1 is the FD.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

They also frequently get a load of stickers to brand up what are obviously another manufacturer's components.

As kit gets bigger and more 'aero', it's tougher to do this, and it happens less.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Cav's had been using Dura Ace Di2 for the last year, or maybe more, whilst he was with HTC and he is now with Sky.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    BigMat wrote:
    Campag EPS is just Movistar at the moment I think, not sure whether its being used across the board or just heavily tested.

Bzzt.

> Lotto-Belisol
    > Movistar Team
    > Lampre - ISD

Not heard/seen any EPS failures yet.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    A friend of mine recently got a Di2-equipped bike to race in this season. I asked how he's finding the electronic shifting, and he loves it. "Perfect shifts every time." Says he finds himself changing gear far more often than he used to cable shifting, because it's so effortless to do so.

I can't wait until they filter down to a price point within my reach.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Thinking about this, the power source for mechanical shifting (old fashioned finger muscles) cannot be removed - so how will they ever make electronic shifting lighter?

I'd rather see progress in mechanical shifting than electronic. That said I've never ridden EPS or Di2 so don't know the benefits. I do know I sometimes yearn for a non-indexed front mech (or my old fashioned Campagnolo with 5 positions) compared to more modern indexed mechs. Progress isn't always logical - but electronic shifting could win me over with the front mech self trimming thingamajig.

I heard that EPS can be re-programmed too unlike Shimano's offering. Should give you scope for a 12 speed cassette if they ever make one, or you can run Shimano wheels on EPS if you're some kind of pervert :wink:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    edited March 2012
    Attica wrote:
    Thinking about this, the power source for mechanical shifting (old fashioned finger muscles) cannot be removed...
    Err, can't it?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Attica wrote:
    Thinking about this, the power source for mechanical shifting (old fashioned finger muscles) cannot be removed - so how will they ever make electronic shifting lighter?

I'd rather see progress in mechanical shifting than electronic. That said I've never ridden EPS or Di2 so don't know the benefits. I do know I sometimes yearn for a non-indexed front mech (or my old fashioned Campagnolo with 5 positions) compared to more modern indexed mechs. Progress isn't always logical - but electronic shifting could win me over with the front mech self trimming thingamajig.

I heard that EPS can be re-programmed too unlike Shimano's offering. Should give you scope for a 12 speed cassette if they ever make one, or you can run Shimano wheels on EPS if you're some kind of pervert :wink:
    The 20112 Sram Red gruppo looks awesome:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2012-sr ... ll-details
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/02/ ... nch_205071
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    Attica wrote:

Given the rate at which batteries are being improved I'm sure it will become progressively lighter. TBH though, it's hardly heavy and it's all relative. I'm running 2008 Chorus at the mo. Dunno the claimed weight, but 2009 version was 2145gr. Record Eps is 2184gr so my new gruppo will be a little heavier, but new frame will be lighter.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Attica wrote:

Given the rate at which batteries are being improved I'm sure it will become progressively lighter. TBH though, it's hardly heavy and it's all relative. I'm running 2008 Chorus at the mo. Dunno the claimed weight, but 2009 version was 2145gr. Record Eps is 2184gr so my new gruppo will be a little heavier, but new frame will be lighter.

Your wallet will be significantly lighter! :lol:
  • il_principe
    BigMat wrote:
    Attica wrote:

Your wallet will be significantly lighter! :lol:

:oops:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JonGinge wrote:
    So.....pretty......can't......breathe....
  • EKE_38BPM
    notsoblue wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    So.....pretty......can't......breathe....

Loosen your corset!

• Tricycleboy
    Tricycleboy Posts: 373
    I'm waiting 'till the electronic stuff goes wireless. Absolutely no reason for it not to be- no idea if there is one in the pipeline anywhere, and if i just invented it then i'm claiming a patent pending on the idea.

Ant+ protocol + smaller batteries etc. in 5 years time the current Di2 is gonna look poop compared to the clean wireless version. Mark My Words.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'm waiting 'till the electronic stuff goes wireless. Absolutely no reason for it not to be- no idea if there is one in the pipeline anywhere, and if i just invented it then i'm claiming a patent pending on the idea.

Ant+ protocol + smaller batteries etc. in 5 years time the current Di2 is gonna look poop compared to the clean wireless version. Mark My Words.

Don't forget the integration with your power sensor, cadence meter, HRM and GPS - It'll probably be able to choose the best gear for you at any one given time.

Oooh, technojoy!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Attica wrote:

Don't forget the integration with your power sensor, cadence meter, HRM and GPS - It'll probably be able to choose the best gear for you at any one given time.

Oooh, technojoy!
    =UCI apoplexy :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey

I had a wireless computer for my bike. Whenever I went past a speed camera my speed (the only thing it measured) would go nuts - all over the place.

Wouldn't want that to happen when attached to my gears.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Attica wrote:

Oooh, technojoy!
    Again, I point you at this.

• Can I have Di2 with a big gear stick like a Raleigh Chopper, but set up to give P-N-D-R functions?
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Can I have Di2 with a big gear stick like a Raleigh Chopper, but set up to give P-N-D-R functions?
    You don't need Di2 for that.
    P = Not on the bike
    N = Standing over the bike with both feet on the ground
    D = Riding!
    R = Doing fixie tricks?

• [/quote]
    Again, I point you at this.[/quote]

Given what i think about whilst cycling this might be a problem!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Can I have Di2 with a big gear stick like a Raleigh Chopper, but set up to give P-N-D-R functions?
    You don't need Di2 for that.
    P = Not on the bike
    N = Standing over the bike with both feet on the ground
    D = Riding!
    R = Doing fixie tricks?

Look it's the gear stick thing OK, my parents wouldnt buy me a Chopper Bike :(

I may never get over it.
    I ache, therefore I am.