Di2

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:
    I'm presuming these bikes with electronic kit are insured?

Wouldn't like to see the rage you'd get if someone pranged your derailieur from behind by accident.
    It's a pile of components so if your rear mech's pranged you buy a new rear mech for whatever it costs, not the whole shooting match.

It's still not cheap though, right?
    Google = £190. Not the end of the world really is it?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    :shock:..

It's all relative I guess...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    CiB wrote:

Wouldn't like to see the rage you'd get if someone pranged your derailieur from behind by accident.
    It's a pile of components so if your rear mech's pranged you buy a new rear mech for whatever it costs, not the whole shooting match.

Sorry but I'm failing to see your point.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

Look I'm sure both systems are great, but I prefer Campag and putting Shimano on a Pinarello is all kinds of wrong.
    Oh, I'm not trying to criticise the system or your decision. I am genuinely interested in how it all works and the practicalities around it. Sorry.

I'm sure the Dogma 2 will be lovely and more so with EPS on it. (What wheels)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,359
    CiB wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Google = £190. Not the end of the world really is it?

Which tells us a lot ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Look I'm sure both systems are great, but I prefer Campag and putting Shimano on a Pinarello is all kinds of wrong.
    Oh, I'm not trying to criticise the system or your decision. I am genuinely interested in how it all works and the practicalities around it. Sorry.

I know you're not, you've misinterpreted my tone. :D
    ote="DonDaddyD"]
    I'm sure the Dogma 2 will be lovely and more so with EPS on it. (What wheels)[/quote]

At the moment I'm sticking with my FFWD's as the budget is utterly blown. New wheels next year. Maybe 2nd gen Mad Fiber if the 1st gen's carry on getting good reviews, or Enve once they bring their clincher profiles in line with their Tubs. Or Zipp Firecrests (404). If it's the Enve or Zipps then I'll have 'em built with Chris King R45 ceramic hubs.

Best start saving again...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Italian made and electrical wiring, I hope they have got better at it.
  • il_principe

RC, you're coming across a little bit "green eyed monster."

People can spend their cash however they please. I'd rather spend £190 on a rear derailleur than on taking PT during the winter, or on smoking or on petrol or on any number of things other people spend their money on.
  • rick_chasey

People can spend their cash however they please. I'd rather spend £190 on a rear derailleur than on taking PT during the winter, or on smoking or on petrol or on any number of things other people spend their money on.

Didn't mean it like that.

Just figured I'd be permanently worried about anything going near it if it was so expensive, that's all.

Rather like the guy who buys the Ferrari and spends so much time worrying about it he ends up taking his fiat out all the time.

Spend it on what you want, doesn't bother me!

You can't discuss it without considering the price of it anyway!!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I know you're not, you've misinterpreted my tone. :D
    ote="DonDaddyD"]
    I'm sure the Dogma 2 will be lovely and more so with EPS on it. (What wheels)

At the moment I'm sticking with my FFWD's as the budget is utterly blown. New wheels next year. Maybe 2nd gen Mad Fiber if the 1st gen's carry on getting good reviews, or Enve once they bring their clincher profiles in line with their Tubs. Or Zipp Firecrests (404). If it's the Enve or Zipps then I'll have 'em built with Chris King R45 ceramic hubs.

Best start saving again...[/quote]
    Oooo nice.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180

the full carbon wheels scare me which is why ive pretty much settled on
    enve 45 front
    enve 65 back
    both on R45s

do you want to touch me?
  • il_principe
    spasypaddy wrote:

the full carbon wheels scare me which is why ive pretty much settled on
    enve 45 front
    enve 65 back
    both on R45s

do you want to touch me?

No :P The clinchers don't have the Zipp/Hed Inspired profile which is supposed to be far more aero*. Enve's Tub have a version of this that is supposed to be coming in clincher form this year...

*Like these things matter to the likes of us!
  • il_principe

Didn't mean it like that.

Just figured I'd be permanently worried about anything going near it if it was so expensive, that's all.

Rather like the guy who buys the Ferrari and spends so much time worrying about it he ends up taking his fiat out all the time.

Spend it on what you want, doesn't bother me!

You can't discuss it without considering the price of it anyway!!

Guess I'm not as risk averse as you! I'd rather take the opportunity to ride this stuff. Although I would never commute on it.
  • spasypaddy
    i never said whether i was going clincher or tub :P
  • rick_chasey

Guess I'm not as risk averse as you!

Exactly.

(That and I could do with a few more years earning under my belt ;))
  • il_principe
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i never said whether i was going clincher or tub :P

:lol: you kinda did. If you were going Tub you'd have said Enve 6.7... :P :P
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736

Seen the Mad Fiber tubs...very nice, sure the clinchers will be equally good.A lot of serious options in that bracket though (all those mentioned, Tune, Easton, Reynolds...).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • spasypaddy
    yeah but thats a 60 front 70 back...

i am going clincher though. and as far as im aware the newer enve clinchers are incredible wheels. equal to the firecrest rims
  • il_principe
    But the Mad Fiber clinchers are stupidly light compared to their rivals. Still, best to let other people guinea pig them (that goes for full carbon clinchers in general!) Having said that, Mad Fiber offer a 4 year damage replacement policy...
  • spasypaddy
    but does that include damage to yourself?

and they aren't THAT light, only 200grams lighter than the enves
  • CiB

Exactly.

:) It's good, when you get nearer to the end of the mortgage than the start, the bills are routine & manageable and both are working .

I don't get paying for Sky tv, or X-Box games at forty quid a pop, or a fiver a pint in a discotheque that costs the best part of a tenner to go in (?? am I close? :)) and you have to spend the night wishing it was possible to hold a conversation without your ears bleeding. I can't do with that sort of expenditure, but an unreasonable amount of dosh on something good, tangible, enjoyable? Yeah. Bring it on; wine, rear mech, nice shirt? No probs.

I bought my i2 specifically for the commute. I don't see how spending that sort of money on getting to work with a mad grin on my fizzog is any worse than spending 10 times more on a Golf and driving to work in a stupor every day.
  • il_principe
    spasypaddy wrote:
    yeah but thats a 60 front 70 back...

i am going clincher though. and as far as im aware the newer enve clinchers are incredible wheels. equal to the firecrest rims

Hmmm, from what I've read the clinchers are great but nowhere near as aero as the Firecrest, whereas the "Smart" tubs are. Hence my waiting for the Smart clinchers.
  • il_principe
    CiB wrote:

I don't get paying for Sky tv, or X-Box games at forty quid a pop, or a fiver a pint in a discotheque that costs the best part of a tenner to go in (?? am I close? :)) and you have to spend the night wishing it was possible to hold a conversation without your ears bleeding. I can't do with that sort of expenditure, but an unreasonable amount of dosh on something good, tangible, enjoyable? Yeah. Bring it on; wine, rear mech, nice shirt? No probs.

I bought my i2 specifically for the commute. I don't see how spending that sort of money on getting to work with a mad grin on my fizzog is any worse than spending 10 times more on a Golf and driving to work in a stupor every day.

Amen to all of that! Except the Sky and Video games bit :oops:
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:

Exactly.

:) It's good, when you get nearer to the end of the mortgage than the start, the bills are routine & manageable and both are working .

For sure.

I spend a lot of money on Sky since I watch a lot of TV & sport.

I don't spend that much on cycling since - in my experience - I don't feel I get a big benefit/increase in the pleasure experience with a lot of expensive kit. I love my current bike and it's £350 > I'm sure I'd love it less if I'd spend a lot since I'd be demanding more pleasure for the cost, rightly or wrongly.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    But the Mad Fiber clinchers are stupidly light compared to their rivals. Still, best to let other people guinea pig them (that goes for full carbon clinchers in general!) Having said that, Mad Fiber offer a 4 year damage replacement policy...
    Some of the deeper-section Tune wheelsets run them close, and the narrower Schwarzbrenner 25s are actually lighter (barely a kilo). Horses for courses...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • il_principe

I don't spend that much on cycling since - in my experience - I don't feel I get a big benefit/increase in the pleasure experience with a lot of expensive kit. I love my current bike and it's £350 > I'm sure I'd love it less if I'd spend a lot since I'd be demanding more pleasure for the cost, rightly or wrongly.

Ooh I dunno. I don't know anyone that's upgraded a bike and loved cycling less. You think too much! :D
  • rick_chasey

Ooh I dunno. I don't know anyone that's upgraded a bike and loved cycling less. You think too much! :D

Me = worrier+cheap-skate (I blame my Dutch roots for the 2nd).
  • il_principe
    StuAff wrote:
    Some of the deeper-section Tune wheelsets run them close, and the narrower Schwarzbrenner 25s are actually lighter (barely a kilo). Horses for courses...

Shallower rim tho, innit.
  • CiB
    I love my current bike and it's £350 > I'm sure I'd love it less if I'd spend a lot since I'd be demanding more pleasure for the cost, rightly or wrongly.
    And the obvious point here is that you would get that pleasure. Nice bikes are the dogs bits. You can't help but enjoy being on one, and that's not the case for the other end of the market. I know - I have one from the <<< end of the scale. Brrrugggh.
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:
    I love my current bike and it's £350 > I'm sure I'd love it less if I'd spend a lot since I'd be demanding more pleasure for the cost, rightly or wrongly.
    And the obvious point here is that you would get that pleasure. Nice bikes are the dogs bits. You can't help but enjoy being on one, and that's not the case for the other end of the market. I know - I have one from the <<< end of the scale. Brrrugggh.

It's more like those expensive holidays. You feel obliged to really Fing enjoy because you've saved up all year for it, so any slight mishap creates more tension/ was it worth it/rage.

No? Just me?