To those who contribute to the "Girls in..." threads...

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    fizz wrote:
    It isn't practical at all for 2-3 mods to actively mod this entire forum as it should be done. Relying on user reports isn't how to do things ever, but neither is relying on so few mods to reasonably cover all areas.

Agreed, there looks to me like there's not enough active mods. Which is why they are relying on people to report threads, that can only work for so long.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that they active mods do a bad job, but in my opinion if you going to be a mod on a forum, you should at least login once in a while and see how your section is coming along.

It appears the Mods are the various staff of the various magazines and so they have full time jobs to be getting on with - not looking after a bunch of bickering kids on here. I'm perfectly happy with the way things are to be honest - if things go too far then every post has a "report" button on it that anyone can send in. This is a free site supported by funding from adverts and administered by the staff of the mags. If they are forced to read 100% of the content on here then they'd quite possibly have to close the forum. Too much moderation can be a bad thing anyway imho.

On the whole, this forum is fairly tame and chilled out - and even most of the arguments are fairly good natured beneath all the stick that some get for their dumb posts. 8)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:
    fizz wrote:
    It isn't practical at all for 2-3 mods to actively mod this entire forum as it should be done. Relying on user reports isn't how to do things ever, but neither is relying on so few mods to reasonably cover all areas.

Agreed, there looks to me like there's not enough active mods. Which is why they are relying on people to report threads, that can only work for so long.

Well except that the forum has been running for 5 years with no problems....
    Except it hasn't...

Erm well it started in 2005 and is still going in 2012 - 7 years pretty good no? If it's so so bad, why have you been here a year?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    edited March 2012
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    fizz wrote:

Except it hasn't...

Erm well it started in 2005 and is still going in 2012 - 7 years pretty good no? If it's so so bad, why have you been here a year?
    I actually really enjoy the forum but to deny that problems exist is akin to a child putting his hands over his eyes and shouting you cant see me.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Your opinion: It's broken.

My opinion: It's fine.

"I beseech you,in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (O.Cromwell, 1650).
    The older I get the faster I was
  • ddraver
    O Cromwell - he was Irish? Wow he kept that quiet!! ;) You ll be telling me Nazi Germany was run by Adolf Hitlerstein in a minute!
    - @ddraver
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Too much moderation can be a bad thing anyway imho.

Agreed, but you can have the other problem where there's not enough and you end up with a situation where somebody posts something, it doesn't get reported or the mod team don't pick it up. It gets left a different person comes along and thinks "hey that post was OK" so they make one in a similar fashion except a tiny bit worse, and then you have a snowballing effect where the tone / content very gradually gently slips downhill.

Personally I feel that's what's happened with the Girls in thread, its gradually dropped in tone. I was suggesting a few more hands to the pump might help with that, that's all.

Obviously it depends on the decision that is made by the mod team about what happens with those threads as to whether or not more mods is required or not.
  • Wirral_paul
    fizz wrote:
    Too much moderation can be a bad thing anyway imho.

Agreed, but you can have the other problem where there's not enough and you end up with a situation where somebody posts something, it doesn't get reported or the mod team don't pick it up.

As mentioned - to the top right of every single post is a "report post" button. If a post you deem unacceptable doesnt get reported then who's fault is that?? Click the button and the Mods can take action, if you dont then they wont. Seems simple enough to me and having reported a few of the Spam attacks as i log in early mornings, I know the reports often get picked up within the hour.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    fizz wrote:

Except it hasn't...

Yep, longer that that. More than 9 years, it got rebranded from the C+ forum.
  • ddraver
    ^ah well to be fair that was all the future publications, on and off road...
    - @ddraver
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Was where the Cake Stop was :)
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    It appears the Mods are the various staff of the various magazines and so they have full time jobs to be getting on with - not looking after a bunch of bickering kids on here...This is a free site supported by funding from adverts and administered by the staff of the mags.

Actually most mods and admins are totally unconnected to the magazines or future publishing. Most are just volunteers who have their own life to take care of as well as this forum.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    In response to the concerns raised on this thread regarding the lack of mods on this forum Future Publications have asked for volunteers. Here's a picture of them arriving at the offices in Bath to offer their services.

brighton.jpg

Personally I think it will cause more problems than it will solve as the rockers might show up to start a war! ;)
  • Pross
    Oops, shouldn't have posted that as it's going to lead to a helmet debate - I can feel it in my bones (or a 'Which Is Best - Lambretta or Vespa' thread).
  • They've even had some interest from this one
    IMG_0067-1.jpg
  • Stick8267
    Stick8267 Posts: 154
    Pross wrote:
    Oops, shouldn't have posted that as it's going to lead to a helmet debate - I can feel it in my bones (or a 'Which Is Best - Lambretta or Vespa' thread).

Or a 'Girls on Scooters' thread...
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Pross wrote:
    In response to the concerns raised on this thread regarding the lack of mods on this forum Future Publications have asked for volunteers. Here's a picture of them arriving at the offices in Bath to offer their services.

brighton.jpg

Personally I think it will cause more problems than it will solve as the rockers might show up to start a war! ;)

:lol: but I wonder how long it took them to find someone below the age of 40 within that lot before they took the photo?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Scooters are for pooftahs.

Real men ride motorcycles.
  • Wirral_paul
    Smokin Joe wrote:

They can moderate the Commuters Forum then!! :lol::lol:

Oops now i've probably gone and done it - they dont have a sense of humour over there it seems! :wink::wink:
  • jonny_trousers
    Smokin Joe wrote:

They can moderate the Commuters Forum then!! :lol::lol:

Oops now i've probably gone and done it - they dont have a sense of humour over there it seems! :wink::wink:

That really isn't true.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I've been into cycling for about 20yrs now, leisure cycling mainly and I follow road racing. I intended this year to be the year I knuckle down and start commuting but after being given an insight of what it might make you become I've decided to stick to the car to get to work! Is it the persistent harassment from motorists and diet of exhaust fumes that makes you lose your sense of humour and turn you into a self-righteous bore?
  • Smokin Joe
    I've been into cycling for about 20yrs now, leisure cycling mainly and I follow road racing. I intended this year to be the year I knuckle down and start commuting but after being given an insight of what it might make you become I've decided to stick to the car to get to work! Is it the persistent harassment from motorists and diet of exhaust fumes that makes you lose your sense of humour and turn you into a self-righteous bore?

Nah, they're born like that. If they weren't thumping car roofs and screaming abuse while they focused the helmet cam and getting a stiffie thinking of the You Tube vid that would come out of it they'd be chained to the railings outside an abbatoir screaming about meat being murder.

Or something.
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Bloody hell you lot need to lighten up. A couple of commuters have got under your skin and you've all turned into Girls in twisted knickers
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Smokin Joe
    Bloody hell you lot need to lighten up. A couple of commuters have got under your skin and you've all turned into Girls in twisted knickers
    That's the best idea for a thread yet!!!!

Got any pics to start it off?
  • Wirral_paul
    edited March 2012
    ^^^^ :D:D:D Cast out your bait, wait a short while, and you're bound to get a bite!! :D:D:D
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    This thread needs popcorn......
    bagpuss
  • Pross
    I'm a commuter these days but not in London so it doesn't count. I prefer to call it bonus training and saving cash!
  • jonny_trousers
    I've been into cycling for about 20yrs now, leisure cycling mainly and I follow road racing. I intended this year to be the year I knuckle down and start commuting but after being given an insight of what it might make you become I've decided to stick to the car to get to work!

MTFU and get on with it; you'll love it!
    Is it the persistent harassment from motorists and diet of exhaust fumes that makes you lose your sense of humour and turn you into a self-righteous bore?

Nah, it's got nothing to do with the commuting; it's hanging around Commuting Chat that'll do that to you. To be fair, though, the vast majority of those who hang around Commuting Chat are thoroughly sound people, but there are one or two individuals who certainly fit the profile you mention above and unfortunately they do love the sound of their own voices.

You ever want to stir up trouble there, just start a thread supporting RLJing (that's red-light-jumping to you country folk) or mandatory helmet wearing. Occasionally I am tempted to chuck in the double grenade of RLJing while being forced to wear a helmet. The indignation would be enough to power the Daily Mail for a week!

*Commuting Chat regulars are, of course, just as diverse a group as Cake Stoppers. Where we are united by our mode of transport, you are united by your love of cake.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Do you mean Monday to Thursday bike riders :?:
    bagpuss
  • jonny_trousers
    bagpusscp wrote:
    Do you mean Monday to Thursday bike riders :?:

You've lost me.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Pross wrote:

Get around betta, travel Lambretta!!
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~