To those who contribute to the "Girls in..." threads...

Comments

• porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I've updated my avatar in support, after all I don't want to be responsible for giving someone a stockings fetish which ends in them strangling women with hosiery! :wink:

That's a shame....I always thought you had great legs mate! :D
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    MattC59 wrote:
    I've just mentioned to my wife the uproar in the Commuting Chat forum, over the 'Girls in...' threads.

Her response ?

And I quote........

"F*ck off !! are they lesbians ?"
    (that was directed an men and women !)

How I laughed !
    Well that sorts out that debate then. Has she any opinions on world peace and how to achieve it?
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    iainment wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    I've just mentioned to my wife the uproar in the Commuting Chat forum, over the 'Girls in...' threads.

Her response ?

And I quote........

"F*ck off !! are they lesbians ?"
    (that was directed an men and women !)

How I laughed !
    Well that sorts out that debate then. Has she any opinions on world peace and how to achieve it?

Well for my twopennath

BIG HUGS AND CUDDLES ALL ROUND
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Funny that, I didn't even know we had a commuting section till now.

Is that where they all wear helmet cams and go round shouting at motorists so they can post it on You Tube?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Is that where they all wear helmet cams and go round shouting at motorists so they can post it on You Tube?

:lol:

(pretty much)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    porker33 wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I've updated my avatar in support, after all I don't want to be responsible for giving someone a stockings fetish which ends in them strangling women with hosiery! :wink:
    That's a shame....I always thought you had great legs mate! :D
    That reminds me, I was thinking of a waxing - home kit or a pro?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Smokin Joe wrote:

It actually isn't. Most of us think those people are tw@s too. It's where we have endless debates about the evils of RLJing and the merits, or otherwise, of wearing a helmet. You should come check it out; you'd love it!
  • iainment
    Smokin Joe wrote:

It actually isn't. Most of us think those people are tw@s too. It's where we have endless debates about the evils of RLJing and the merits, or otherwise, of wearing a helmet. You should come check it out; you'd love it!

RLJing isn't evil.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Oi Oi - Not here maty!! To the Commuting section with that talk!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    I can see this forum ending up like this :(:(:(

MAN-BOOBS.jpg
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • nsfw.jpg

Says it all really
  • MattC59
    I'm assuming once the offending threads have been removed, all those who took offence will now be activily joining in with cake stop threads.

If they don't, I suggest a campaign to get them banned for causing trouble, and having the threads reinstated.
  • rozzer32
    MattC59 wrote:
    I'm assuming once the offending threads have been removed, all those who took offence will now be activily joining in with cake stop threads.

If they don't, I suggest a campaign to get them banned for causing trouble, and having the threads reinstated.

Nah we can go over to commuting and start threads like "Girls wearing helmet cams"
  • MattC59
    rozzer32 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Nah we can go over to commuting and start threads like "Girls wearing helmet cams"

Go on, do it now........... I double dare you !!!
  • MattC59 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

+1
  • rozzer32
    MattC59 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

+1

Done. http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12839829
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

+1

Done. http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12839829
    Well played, very well played.

Now where did I stash my collection of women with helmet cams?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Rozzer, legendary status has just been bestowed upon thee.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • MattC59
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Rozzer, legendary status has just been bestowed upon thee.

+1
    Please accept the award of 'God Like Genius'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    PTP Champion Jersey wearer and God like Genius...

Wow!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainment
    I've been thinking about the issues raised here and on balance I am of the opinion that the "Girls in .." threads are puerile and can be offensive to some. And as this is a cycling related forum, not a Playboy one. should be ended. If those who like them want this sort of stuff they can find it elsewhere on the net - or start their own site for this.

My thinking being that if my daughter knew I was perving over these would it sit well with me - and the answer being no.

The abuse from the lads at those who don't approve also being quite distasteful and verging on or actually being bullying of the worst sort. If Bikeradar want their forums to be welcoming and inclusive they should end these threads, if they don't care then they should actually come out and say so and be upfront about what opressive attitudes are acceptable to them. For instance would racist banter similar to this be ok.

Pip pip.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • rozzer32
    iainment wrote:
    I've been thinking about the issues raised here and on balance I am of the opinion that the "Girls in .." threads are puerile and can be offensive to some. And as this is a cycling related forum, not a Playboy one. should be ended. If those who like them want this sort of stuff they can find it elsewhere on the net - or start their own site for this.

So when you go down to the pub you only talk about drink? Because you're at a place that sells drink so surely you can only talk about drink. No talking about the football, work, women, cycling etc.

Your logic doesn't work. Yes this is a cycling forum and there are relevant forums which have great info such as road beginners and road buying advice. But there are also other areas i.e Cake Stop where we can talk about non cycling related stuff.
  • iainment
    rozzer32 wrote:
    iainment wrote:

So when you go down to the pub you only talk about drink? Because you're at a place that sells drink so surely you can only talk about drink. No talking about the football, work, women, cycling etc.

Your logic doesn't work. Yes this is a cycling forum and there are relevant forums which have great info such as road beginners and road buying advice. But there are also other areas i.e Cake Stop where we can talk about non cycling related stuff.

I think the real point is that this type of thread can be and is offensive to some. There are other places to look at and talk about women in this way, if you need to. The Cakestop is not just for men, why allow stuff that can cause offence and block out some people from feeling comfortable in it.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    iainment wrote:
    I think the real point is that this type of thread can be and is offensive to some. There are other places to look at and talk about women in this way, if you need to. The Cakestop is not just for men, why allow stuff that can cause offence and block out some people from feeling comfortable in it.

Steady on - you'll confuse the people who think that all Cake Stop regulars want the 'Girls in....' threads retained and that all Commuter regulars want them banned........

Perish the thought that anyone has an opinion that isn't based on which forum they most frequently hang around in..........
    :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rozzer32
    iainment wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    iainment wrote:

The Cakestop is not just for men, why allow stuff that can cause offence and block out some people from feeling comfortable in it.

You are correct and there has NEVER been anything to stop any "Men in..." threads. Women can start threads just as easily as men can.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    This 'what would your daughter think' theme has appeared several times and I'm quite frankly finding it baffling. Is the suggestion that as soon as you have a daughter you are supposed to banish any sexual urges from your mind and body? Wtf have your sexual desires got to do with your daughter? Am I the only one that doesn't understand this?
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    ... This is the reason why I haven't joined a cycling club....

This comment made me think as much as any other on this & the related threads.

Is the inclusion of the current "Girls in ..." threads worth the impact that they rightly or wrongly have on others? Given the choice, I'd rather have a bit less smut on BR and potentially a few more real women participating in cycling culture.

My vote would be that the current posting guidelines are clarified & enforced a little more proactively such that the "Girls in ..." threads are reined in at the least, both in some of the images posted and the ensuing comments made.
  • iainment
    rozzer32 wrote:
    iainment wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    iainment wrote:

The Cakestop is not just for men, why allow stuff that can cause offence and block out some people from feeling comfortable in it.

You are correct and there has NEVER been anything to stop any "Men in..." threads. Women can start threads just as easily as men can.
    You just don't, or won't, get it will you. That would be just as offensive to some and wouldn't be any sort of justification.
    The fact is that some would find these threads offensive, there are other places to go for this, it doesn't need to be here so why have it here.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • iainment
    This 'what would your daughter think' theme has appeared several times and I'm quite frankly finding it baffling. Is the suggestion that as soon as you have a daughter you are supposed to banish any sexual urges from your mind and body? Wtf have your sexual desires got to do with your daughter? Am I the only one that doesn't understand this?

Not that urges are banished but that perhaps perspective is altered by having a child.
    Would I be happy for my daughter to have pics like these taken and displayed in this way - no. Would I be happy for her to know I looked at them - no.
    That's all.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    iainment wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    iainment wrote:

I think the real point is that this type of thread can be and is offensive to some.

Yes, but iain any post can be offensive to some - so where is the line drawn - i've had posts removed which genuinely said what I thought (one was anti monarchist), yet views the opposite to mine are allowed to stay -as adults being treated like adults shouldn't we accept that over a year there are going to some things we disagree with, some we wholeheartedly support - and just accept that the forum reflects life and all of its stupidity, crassness, contradiction and fun.

FWIW I have no interest is track cycling or tri and have never ever visited those sub forums, do i feel excluded - no, its my choice.

For me its not rocket science, if you don't like a link dont follow it, but I fully understand that to some, like yourself with family responsibilities this approach my not be adequate. The queation as ever is where do you draw the line.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.