To those who contribute to the "Girls in..." threads...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ddraver wrote:
    Do you not get it? Have a hint - what you re doing is like Christiano Ronaldo complaining about diving in football.
    No, no, you've got it all wrong. What I'm doing is like using a stick to poke the animals through the bars of their cages. See?
    No what you are doing is breaking the forum rules.

Use your normal user ID if you wish.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Ah, so all this complaining about 'moderator incompetence' is simply an ignorance of the level at which the moderation is set? It seems that when a transgression occurs moderation is prompt and effective.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Trickyh
    Trickyh Posts: 50
    nicklouse wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Do you not get it? Have a hint - what you re doing is like Christiano Ronaldo complaining about diving in football.
    No, no, you've got it all wrong. What I'm doing is like using a stick to poke the animals through the bars of their cages. See?
    No what you are doing is breaking the forum rules.

Use your normal user ID if you wish.

Busted!! So who was it then ?? :? Oooh, was it a commuter?? :wink:
  • nicklouse
    Ah, so all this complaining about 'moderator incompetence' is simply an ignorance of the level at which the moderation is set? It seems that when a transgression occurs moderation is prompt and effective.
    nope nothing to do with it. if people do not report transgretions how are the mods to do anything?
    unless we happen to come across it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    nicklouse wrote:
    nope nothing to do with it. if people do not report transgretions how are the mods to do anything?
    Simple fact is. If mods were doing their jobs they would be coming across the issues. Don't try to blame the forum users for staff inactivity and inadequate staff levels. You're just making yourself look silly,naive and grossly unprofessional.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    They are unprofessional, literally unprofessional, and I'm using the literal meaning of literally.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stone Glider
    Oh. Maybe I was unclear, what I was trying to point out was that the current level of moderation is sufficient.
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    MattC59 wrote:
    Somehting I've noticed, and posted in the main p*ssing & whining thread:

The problem with internet forums, is that people see them as a a place where they can wee-wee, whine, argue and complain about things that don't interest them, don't effect them, don't really bother them and they don't contribute to.

I see a lot of that happening in this discussion.

Just saying.

Spot on.
    +1

duty_calls.png
    Nicolai CC
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Oh. Maybe I was unclear, what I was trying to point out was that the current level of moderation is sufficient.
    It isn't.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    nicklouse wrote:
    Simple fact is. If mods were doing their jobs they would be coming across the issues. Don't try to blame the forum users for staff inactivity and inadequate staff levels. You're just making yourself look silly,naive and grossly unprofessional.

I believe the mods are forum members like us not paid staff so it is unfair and unrealistic to expect them to read every post on every thread! If anyone sees a thread that gives offence then all they need to do is report it and the mods can then take a view (that's if there is still a report button - I think I looked for one to report spam a few months back and couldn't find it).
  • Stone Glider
    @T.M.H.N.E.T. Your opinion/my opinion.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Not really. Take a look down the staff list. Very few of those listed actually bother,the moderator list is the same.

2-3 admins cannot proactively moderate a forum hence the continued reliance on the report feature. Mods on the whole aren't doing their job,if it wasn't for nicklouse and supersonic,it wouldn't be done. Pretty unacceptable for a forum such as this.
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    Trickyh wrote:
    It was me. And before you start calling me names, all of which I acknowledge, I apologize. I was being an ass and a troll of the highest order. But if you bear with me for a minute, there is kind of an amusing story behind it all.

Yesterday, out of curiousity, I wondered if this debate had spilled over into Crudcatcher and what was being said about it. The first thread I looked at had a reference to commuters and a joke about rohypnol. I expressed my opinion that I thought the joke was in poor taste (that's all I said) and within minutes I was called a massive bellend and an idiot. Did it bother me? Not at all, I was expecting it. It is the Crudcatcher after all.

But the thing that has puzzled me from the start of this debate is the question about why is this issue so contentious? I got a few answers (censorship, attracts members who participate in other areas) but overall these answers didn't seem strong enough to warrant the vehemence of the response to the option of removing the GiL threads.

So I thought, what would they say if someone new came along and told them that their collection of images was just lame. So that's what I did, starting in Crudcatcher. Did I get any new insights? No, of course not, the premise was completely ridiculous from the get go. What I did get was some very strong reactions to my opinion that I thought the collection was weak and the comments weren't worth the electrons they were printed on. One guy actually said that my mum was dead in a ditch and he had put a red wig on her. So, I thought, well this is fun, and wasted a couple of hours in "banter". I had a laugh and I was hoping the sheer outrageousness of it would make other readers laugh as well.

It then occured to me that I could play the same game here in Cakestop, home of the Girls In threads. In hindsight, that was taking it too far. You were trying to engage in a serious discussion and I just wasted everyone's time and distracted everyone from the real issue. Again, I apologize. You deserved better than that. As ddraver rightly pointed out, it was childish and asinine. I certainly didn't get the same response.

Having said that, I do find it interesting that a common response to an unpopular opinion, or even a trollish one, is to resort to personal attacts. iainment engaged in a very respectful exchange of opinions (starting on page 3 of this thread) until he was told that he was a professional complainer and that he should go have a chat over at the women's institute. I don't think that added anything to the debate either and I think he quit trying.

Anyway, gotta go. I have to go look for my mother's corpse.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    dpaulett wrote:
    Trickyh wrote:
    It was me. And before you start calling me names, all of which I acknowledge, I apologize. I was being an ass and a troll of the highest order. But if you bear with me for a minute, there is kind of an amusing story behind it all.

Yesterday, out of curiousity, I wondered if this debate had spilled over into Crudcatcher and what was being said about it. The first thread I looked at had a reference to commuters and a joke about rohypnol. I expressed my opinion that I thought the joke was in poor taste (that's all I said) and within minutes I was called a massive bellend and an idiot. Did it bother me? Not at all, I was expecting it. It is the Crudcatcher after all.

But the thing that has puzzled me from the start of this debate is the question about why is this issue so contentious? I got a few answers (censorship, attracts members who participate in other areas) but overall these answers didn't seem strong enough to warrant the vehemence of the response to the option of removing the GiL threads.

So I thought, what would they say if someone new came along and told them that their collection of images was just lame. So that's what I did, starting in Crudcatcher. Did I get any new insights? No, of course not, the premise was completely ridiculous from the get go. What I did get was some very strong reactions to my opinion that I thought the collection was weak and the comments weren't worth the electrons they were printed on. One guy actually said that my mum was dead in a ditch and he had put a red wig on her.

Having said that, I do find it interesting that a common response to an unpopular opinion, or even a trollish one, is to resort to personal attacts. iainment engaged in a very respectful exchange of opinions (starting on page 3 of this thread) until he was told that he was a professional complainer and that he should go have a chat over at the women's institute. I don't think that added anything to the debate either and I think he quit trying.

Anyway, gotta go. I have to go look for my mother's corpse.

Interesting, maybe you have single handedly demonstrated the issue with the threads in question that they are uninviting and explained why others haven't spoken out about this in the past: fear of abuse and out of proportion attack.

Would I even dare to venture into CrudCatcher. No.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    nicklouse wrote:
    This is also interesting. My duplicate userid was banned fairly quickly, for breaking the rules and being a troll. Fine. That's how it's supposed to work. But I also reported a post containing a joke about date rape. It's still there after 24 hours. Can I infer that this type of content is deemed acceptable under the current rules? I know it was a joke, but my question is, if racist jokes aren't acceptable why are jokes about date rape?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    dpaulett wrote:
    Having said that, I do find it interesting that a common response to an unpopular opinion, or even a trollish one, is to resort to personal attacts.

Well you would say that. You're a feckin idiot.
  • nicklouse
    It isn't.
    It is as that is how the powers that be want it doing.

The forums have be and will continue to have reactive moderation.

If you guys don't report it then all is fine.

If you want proactive moderation then things would change a lot on the forum as he whole legal situation will have changed.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    nicklouse wrote:
    It isn't.
    It is as that is how the powers that be want it doing.

The forums have be and will continue to have reactive moderation.

If you guys don't report it then all is fine.

If you want proactive moderation then things would change a lot on the forum as he whole legal situation will have changed.
    Explain.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    nicklouse wrote:

now, there's a thought....
    nicklouse wrote:

you're making this up...
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Hi there,just back from work...WOah,post modernism-start with an argument then argue over the form of the argument-who said back to the future was sci-fi?Great work here.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Those that whine about the lack of moderation are often just those that want the mod powers for themselves thinking it will give them more status on the forum by having their name appear slightly different than others as well as satisfy a virtual jackboot fetish they have.
    Not really. Take a look down the staff list. Very few of those listed actually bother,the moderator list is the same.

2-3 admins cannot proactively moderate a forum hence the continued reliance on the report feature. Mods on the whole aren't doing their job,if it wasn't for nicklouse and supersonic,it wouldn't be done. Pretty unacceptable for a forum such as this.

Not all of us think the current moderators are doing a bad job.

The forums are kept in control and things are are tame by the standards of most large internet forums without resorting to there being deleted posts all over the place which ruin threads and topics of discussion and end up causing more conflict than it resolves due to accusations about biased moderating. Their method of moderation work.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Those that whine about the lack of moderation are often just those that want the mod powers for themselves thinking it will give them more status on the forum by having their name appear slightly different than others as well as satisfy a virtual jackboot fetish they have.

The forums are kept in control and things are are tame by the standards of most large internet forums without resorting to there being deleted posts all over the place which ruin threads and topics of discussion and end up causing more conflict than it resolves due to accusations about biased moderating. Their method of moderation work.
    +1.
  • ddraver
    ^ Yep +2, I think Nick and Sonic do a great job!
    - @ddraver
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    +3 from me.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Those that whine about the lack of moderation are often just those that want the mod powers for themselves thinking it will give them more status on the forum by having their name appear slightly different than others as well as satisfy a virtual jackboot fetish they have.

Good one. Took longer than I thought for someone to bring up "wanting to be a moderator" haha if anything the opposite is true. I don't think the mods are doing a bad job either,they do what they can given the circumstances.

It isn't practical at all for 2-3 mods to actively mod this entire forum as it should be done. Relying on user reports isn't how to do things ever, but neither is relying on so few mods to reasonably cover all areas.

The methods used to moderate here do not work. Lack of clear rules only compounds this fact.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    T.M.H.N.E.T - You want some cheese with your whine?
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    It isn't practical at all for 2-3 mods to actively mod this entire forum as it should be done. Relying on user reports isn't how to do things ever, but neither is relying on so few mods to reasonably cover all areas.

Agreed, there looks to me like there's not enough active mods. Which is why they are relying on people to report threads, that can only work for so long.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that they active mods do a bad job, but in my opinion if you going to be a mod on a forum, you should at least login once in a while and see how your section is coming along.

I also think that with a few more mods, it would spread the workload across some more hands. Of course you need to watch you don't get to many mods and then get accused that the rules are being applied inconsistently. So you need to find a balance with it.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Andy wrote:
    T.M.H.N.E.T - You want some cheese with your whine?
    Leave me alone :(
  • ddraver
    fizz wrote:

Agreed, there looks to me like there's not enough active mods. Which is why they are relying on people to report threads, that can only work for so long.

Well except that the forum has been running for 5 years with no problems....
    - @ddraver
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    ddraver wrote:
    fizz wrote:

Well except that the forum has been running for 5 years with no problems....
    Except it hasn't...