The Six Nations thread.

12346»

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Speaking of Austin, check out this impudent little box-kick at 2.00mins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2USK9DolxU

What a little tinker he was. Pretty handy for Leicester too. His winning line break and pass to Leon Lloyd IIRC in the dying seconds of the Heineken Cup 2000/2001 against Stade F after heaving his legs bent sideways just a couple of minutes was one of my favouritest rugger moments ever.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    well funny you say that... only kidding. Shane was as awesome player

Did someone say "come here, fishy"?

Ab-so-lutely. Never more awesome than against a soft defence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpdTkx67-U4

I didn't have the time to watch all of this, but there looked to be a couple of tries against national sides in there. Amongst the club rugby...

There are three or four from about 3.40 onwards in which the defences can at best be described as "cosseting". Then are the ones where he has to run at some empty space. And ones where the defenders fall over before he gets near them, no doubt due to some paegan magicks being depolyed... :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted:

And so the heathen surfaces...

Kennett.jpg

Trouble is, Williams played at the same time as Billy Whizz. Ergo solid number 2 spot for Shane... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

ETA: Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK0JnnAKNH4

Some of the footage is a bit low def, but HTF he gets through some of those gaps is beyond me. Sometimes it looks like he's speeded up but no one else is.

But there's less people on the pitch in RL *waits for the abuse from those oooop North*.

Yes, Billy Whizz was awesome. I still remember that sinking feeling when he set off on that run in the QF in 2003 against Wales, but his try for the Lions against the Aussies was magic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    when he set off on that run in the QF in 2003 against Wales

its like its in comedy fast forward
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    cjcp wrote:
    And because Ireland were good. And because of the performance against SA. And because they got to the SF of the WC and came within a whisker of the Final even though they had 14 men.

I'm biased obviously, and you're English, which automatically means you're wrong, but it was a good WC for a number of reasons, and which recent form has suggested it wasn't a flash-in-the-pan (I hope, anyway...).

Next thing you know, someone on here will be saying that Shane Williams wasn't a world class wing - here, fishy, fishy :P
    Hmm, too good to resist, can't be any fish-hooks around... ;)

Okay, here are Wales most recent wins against the southern big 3:
    • Aussie: 29th-Nov-2008; away (NZ) 18th-Jun-1987
    • South Africa: 26th-Jun-1999; away ???
    • All Blacks: 19th-Dec-1953; away ???; NZ's current winning streak: 21 tests. 2012 isn't just the jubilee for Queen Elizabeth, it's also the jubilee for Wales last win...
    World cup 2011: played 7, won 4, lost 3.

It's all well and good to be flat-track-bullies, beating up lower-ranked sides, but Wales needs to score some wins against the big boys to get their ranking up. Clearly this is a very good Welsh side, but until they knock off the sides above them, they can't claim to be world-beaters.

Warburton is bloody good, but only when we see him drag his side to victory like Brüssow/Pocock/McCaw will he be a great.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,682
    Hee hee, I was looking at your clips and came across this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQWT-B0 ... AAAAAAAACA

I'd forgotten that! :D
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    jamesco wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    And because Ireland were good. And because of the performance against SA. And because they got to the SF of the WC and came within a whisker of the Final even though they had 14 men.

I'm biased obviously, and you're English, which automatically means you're wrong, but it was a good WC for a number of reasons, and which recent form has suggested it wasn't a flash-in-the-pan (I hope, anyway...).

Next thing you know, someone on here will be saying that Shane Williams wasn't a world class wing - here, fishy, fishy :P
    Hmm, too good to resist, can't be any fish-hooks around... ;)

Okay, here are Wales most recent wins against the southern big 3:
    • Aussie: 29th-Nov-2008; away (NZ) 18th-Jun-1987
    • South Africa: 26th-Jun-1999; away ???
    • All Blacks: 19th-Dec-1953; away ???; NZ's current winning streak: 21 tests. 2012 isn't just the jubilee for Queen Elizabeth, it's also the jubilee for Wales last win...
    World cup 2011: played 7, won 4, lost 3.

It's all well and good to be flat-track-bullies, beating up lower-ranked sides, but Wales needs to score some wins against the big boys to get their ranking up. Clearly this is a very good Welsh side, but until they knock off the sides above them, they can't claim to be world-beaters.

Warburton is bloody good, but only when we see him drag his side to victory like Brüssow/Pocock/McCaw will he be a great.

I think your points are for a different discussion. :)

I'm talking about Wales having a good WC, not whether they're world beaters etc.

Btw, you'll no doubt remember why you won the 1978 match. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."