The Six Nations thread.

Comments

• tiny_pens wrote:
    England being the only team in the Six Nations they haven't beaten yet

Ireland?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Italy beat Ireland a few times in the 90s.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Italy beat Ireland a few times in the 90s.

True Italy did beat Ireland a couple of times in 90s but not in Six Nations. Italy were not in the 6 nations until 2000.... They've only won 8 games ever since then and one draw.

Italy vs France 2011 - 22-21
    Italy vs Scotland 2010 - 16-12
    Italy vs Scotland 2008 - 23 - 20
    Italy vs Wales 2007 - 23 - 20
    Scotland vs Italy 2007 17-37
    Wales vs Italy 2006 - 18-18
    Scotland vs Italy 2004 - 20-14
    Italy vs Wales 2003 - 30-22
    Italy vs Scotland 2001 - 34-20
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    England looked slightly better than I expected. They seemed to be playing with a bit less ego than in recent times. I didn't see all the game, but they did also seem to be making slightly fewer mistakes and gave away fewer needless penalties. It's a start...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • sketchley
    England looked slightly better than I expected. They seemed to be playing with a bit less ego than in recent times. I didn't see all the game, but they did also seem to be making slightly fewer mistakes and gave away fewer needless penalties. It's a start...

Agree with that. They'll struggle to beat France away from home, and both home games against Wales and Ireland are not easy to call. My heart says they win both home games + Italy away and finish 4 out of 5 and Wales will beat France in Cardiff to make up for World Cup so would also finish 4/5 as would France (Wales on points then and England 3). However, having watched Wales vs Ireland yesterday my head says England won't win either home games and finish 2 out 5, making the Wales vs France game and effective grand slam decider.

Hope I'm wrong....
    --
    Chris

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    tiny_pens wrote:
    .....potentially the weakest England team for a while...

Inexperienced yes, not sure its the weakest, especially if / when Flood, Manu, & Lawes are back from injury.

Lets not forget we've (the genrality of england fans) have been moaning that Hape, Tindall, Banahan in whatever combo were never international class centre combination, and we never had an out and out 7. The previous lot won the 6N last year before underwhelming us on and off the pitch in the WC.

I thought Farrell and Barritt looked very solid in midfield - throw in Manu for either when he's back and that gives it a bit more penetration.

BTW if anyone can find Ashton's spark, could they post it back to him please, he appears to have mislaid it.

England to finish in top half of table for me.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,682
    I don't think we ll beat Wales, France or Ireland, Mostly because Charlie Hodgson just isn't good enough! If we still had Flood, Manu, we might have a shot at one of them but without...I don't think so. I think this is the right thing for England to be doing though. It's what the French did after the last WC (2007) and they were a conversion away from winning last year!

That said it's not going to stop the Celts bleating on about it!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Errrr.....

(Italy/England)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    Is it just me or is the filming of this game atrocious? Feel like I'm watching replays rather than the actual game...
    FCN: 6
  • Good recovery but made hard work of that I thought... at least the bits I saw, sadly I couldn't watch it all... when's the highlights repeated?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • cjcp wrote:
    Errrr.....

(Italy/England)

Pah. Never doubted it for a second.

(Ulp. Can now uncross fingers and toes. Not impressed that once again our tries came from mistakes rather than unlocking the defence.)
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Just watching the interview with Owen Farrell... looks like he's going to have a pretty shiner of a black eye tomorrow... ouch!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • clarkey cat
    still looked like a rooky side learning to gel but then it was a good win.... games vs Italy in Rome have been tight for the last few years so a close game was always to be expected.

Dickson looks like a proper 9. We need one.
  • ddraver
    I ve said this in the Cake Stop thread but I don't think anyone can draw anything from a game in conditions like that
    - @ddraver
  • clarkey cat
    looks like England will be top of the table until tomorrow and if the sweaties run wales close - for the next 2 weeks too!

stand by your man....
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    straas wrote:
    Is it just me or is the filming of this game atrocious? Feel like I'm watching replays rather than the actual game...
    I'm in total agreement.
    The close-ups were too tight and the wide shots were too wide.
    I was in a pub and everyone said the same thing. We couldn't really see what was going on.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Scotland are looking good against Wales. This is the most physical match I have seen so far, shame that North has had to go off.
  • clarkey cat
    sooooo after all the hype are the All Blacks of the North (TM) not quite the mega-team their awesome WC had them out to be - or are Scotland actually a much better side than people give them credit for...?

Be an intriguing second half.
  • clarkey cat
    in fact it won't be intriguing at all... Scotland will do everything in their power to lose the game.
  • cjcp
    Very happy with that. Solid defence at the end of the first and second half and some good finishing. Shingler had an excellent game.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    Once the Welsh get a sniff they really do know how to finish.
  • ddraver
    They re doing all right Scotland I think, they just need a bit of confidence and composure. Ignore 15 crazy minutes and that would have been really close.

I ve always forgiven Jonathan Edwards as just being a proud Patriot but he was just absurd tonight, i ve never heard such a biased commentary!
    - @ddraver
  • i agree

Jonathon Davies however...brillant pundit

great win, made em pay in second half.. Halfpenny was fantastic, often wondered if we even had a number 10 on the pitch. Shame about George North
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • sketchley
    Didn't see the game, catch up tv later, but I'm thinking Welsh Grand slam. Thought?
    --
    Chris

• Slam or no - Wales are the best entertainment. Sort of 'grudgingly' enjoying watching them and long may it last. (Well a fortnight is quite a long time.)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • cjcp
    It's a possibility, but no more than that at the moment. The French backs will have more of a cutting edge than the Scots and, while we can go to Twickenham feeling confident, the English will be up for it big time. I'm glad we're playing Italy in Cardiff.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Slam or no - Wales are the best entertainment. Sort of 'grudgingly' enjoying watching them and long may it last. (Well a fortnight is quite a long time.)

I loved watching Shane Williams skinning people (Greg66 to the thread, please...), but I'm really beginning to like having two wingers built like brick sh!t-houses who can run around or through/over their opponents.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    Wales have to beat England at HQ. Something they have only done ONCE in 24 years (and that was a vintage year).

Not saying it won't happen but beating a 13-man Scotland at home and sneaking a last minute pen against the Irish is not enough to make me join the Welsh love-in (yet). They look good... really good. But talk of Slams in the second week of the 6N is a bit premature.
  • cjcp
    Definitely premature, but Wales/Scotland games have had a habit over the years of being bad for one's nerves, and I can't remember the last time we beat the Irish three games on the trot. We didn't play particularly well at times (the throw-ins, some ball-handling in the breakdown and losing the ball at the kick-off), but still won, which is pretty good given that we lost our captain, RJ played at lock and we lost North.

I'm thinking of the positives but I'm going to be a nervous bloody wreck for the England match.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ddraver
    It burns me inside to say (well...type) it but Wales SHOULD beat England this year, They have a good, well drilled team that have played with each other for a few years, including a WC, whereas England have a new team of children who have never met each other before. I would love to see England win, but I'm not expecting it.

Wales v France should be the GS decider, but then the French might implode in another game so we ll see.....
    - @ddraver