The Six Nations thread.

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited March 2012 in Commuting chat
So... a young new-look England playing a buccaneering game and winning by 18?

or the sweaties kicking 6 points and then killing the game to win by 3?

Comments

• welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I think England are going to get stuffed, I would like to be proven wrong though.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Send them homeward to think again.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ...England playing a buccaneering game and winning by 18?
    Didn't that happen once in, err, 1892 or so?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    One of the least predictable games in a long time.
    Either team could play to either extreme.
    Hopefully I will have a smile on my face as I walk away from the stadium :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Can't wait to see the new England side and it'll be interesting to see if the Scots have got over their fear of the try line! I think England will win but it will be pretty nerve wracking.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    CYMRU AM BYTH!!!!!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat
    Wales will lose more than they win and somehow make it look like a successful campaign. Like the WC.
  • cjcp
    Wales will lose more than they win and somehow make it look like a successful campaign. Like the WC.

I love the fire you English have in your bellies. :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    cjcp wrote:
    CWRW AM BYTH!!!!!

Fixed that for you Chris! :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cjcp
    SimonAH wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    CWRW AM BYTH!!!!!

Fixed that for you Chris! :-D

:D

But not S.A. Yuk!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Who decided white would be a good colour for a rugby strip. I mean you can't keep it clean for 5 minutes and you're never getting those stains out.

Think I may have to watch Scotland play more often though. Sme of them ain't half tasty :wink:
  • clarkey cat
    well well well... Scotland had that for the taking. The old tryline proving to be their downfall again. England have to be over the moon after that result - getting an ugly win at Murrayfield on the opening day of the 6N. Looking forward to tomorrow.
  • well well well... Scotland had that for the taking. The old tryline proving to be their downfall again. England have to be over the moon after that result - getting an ugly win at Murrayfield on the opening day of the 6N. Looking forward to tomorrow.

That pretty much summarises Scotland for me. You could take a win, ice it, put a cherry on it, box it, wrap it and tie a bow around it, present it on a tray to them and they would still lose. The Scottish attack [sic] is about as effective as a wall of bubbles coming at you. They have, and have had for a while, zero attacking edge.

This doesn't say a lot for England either, obviously.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    An even game from my seat.
    A bounce that went England's way at one end and nearly a bounce Scotland's way at the other.
    It's a fine line during a game but in league terms - massive.
    We won't know if it was because the defences are good, or the attacks ineffective until both teams have played other matches.
    I am hoping that it turns out that both teams have strong defences - obviously.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • As an Englishman living in Scotland, I actually felt sorry for Scotland in losing that game. It was definitely there for the taking. Delighted that England won though - makes work on Monday morning so much nicer :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • As an Englishman living in Scotland, I actually felt sorry for Scotland in losing that game. It was definitely there for the taking. Delighted that England won though - makes work on Monday morning so much nicer :wink:

A big +1 to all that :)
  • clarkey cat
    as turgid as the game was (are they ever anything but at Murrayfield) - that is a massive win for Lancaster. Something a largely WC-winning squad never managed: an English win at Murrayfield. The only way is up.

Today is going to be a corker... but it clashes with Chelsea v Manure too. What a festival of sport.

Wish I had some mates to go to the pub with.
  • As the pundit's pointed out , Lancaster would take a win though ugly was still a win.

The game today should be more exciting but will it be as close in that is anyone going to score and will it be down to mistakes or good play ?

My other half is now treating herself to some netball we recorded before I take charge of the sky remote from 1215 with tour of qatar from 1215 interspered with football and rugby all afternoon , lucky for her that we are getting battered at cricket so have conceded that !!!

Suzy B , I am sure some of the rugby players have feelings they are not pieces of meat to be drooled over , (netball skirts could be shorter !)
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • cjcp
    Dreadful ball-handling by the Scots let them down, rather than excellent English defence. The English made a lot tackles, but it says something that, Evans aside, a No 8 was Scotland's best runner.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • good win by Wales, best match so far, though possibly handed to them by ref in dying stages?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • clarkey cat
    there's an argument that being a pen. but amazing to think the officials thought it the same standard of offence as B Davies' spear.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    there's an argument that being a pen. but amazing to think the officials thought it the same standard of offence as B Davies' spear.
    Absolutely! That piledriver ought to have been a red; yellow was right for the Irish infraction.
  • cjcp
    Get in.

Didn't see the match as I was out with the kids. Heard the score at 21-15 with four mins to go and was a bit downcast. Returned home a short while ago to read the final score. Sounds like a belter of a match, with missed kicks on both sides. Irish haven't lost an opener for a few years. Suspect the Irish missed BOD and Earls?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Scotland have as much cutting edge as something very blunt. Be interesting to see how New England (ah bless ya Kirsty) get on against Wales Ireland and France. The Sarries midfield defence looked pretty solid but it may have been flattered by the scots.

Wales were lucky at the end but Ireland can have no complaints - whilst nowhere near as bad as the Wales transgression, he did keep lifting the leg he had up and over chest height, so it was always going to be a penalty. The yellow was academic as being down to 14 had no effect.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Be interesting to see how New England (ah bless ya Kirsty) get on against Wales Ireland and France.

I predict they will go down fighting. But they will go down.

I suspect that a few of the England team will discover for the first time the difference between club standards and test standards in one or more of those matches.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    Be interesting to see how New England (ah bless ya Kirsty) get on against Wales Ireland and France.

I suspect that a few of the England team will discover for the first time the difference between club standards and test standards in one or more of those matches.

Both Ireland and Wales would have ripped apart England with their very very good finishing at the weekend. As good as the England performance was all Scotland needed was better finishing and they had us beat. We would not get away with that against Wales, Ireland or France based on those performances.

I have to say based on weekend performances I'd put the finishing order as Wales, France, Ireland, England, Scotland, Italy. I would have put Ireland ahead of France if the game between them was in Ireland, Wales will play France at home so I think they will edge that. England are way to France and I don't predict a win there, but are at home of Wales and Ireland both of which will be hard games but I cannot see England winning either. I'd even go as far as to say there's a very good chance of Welsh grand slam.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

the ref didn't see the first one, that was on the lino's recommendation. given his card for the second offence the Welsh 4 would have rightly been sent off for the first.

Great game either way
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • clarkey cat
    thats why I said officials as collectively it is their responsibility to officiate the game consistently.

would Ireland have hung on in the last 5 minutes if Wales were down to 14 men and Ireland still had 15? Probably not considering how they capitulated on Wales' final surge after the retake.

People are always very quick to write off England!

That was a massive win for the lads. It was scrappy but no-one expected them come away with anything but a hiding from that game. Next week there is a good chance for them to try and play a bit more of a settled game with Italy away and get used to each other a bit more... then 2 weeks rest and the Welsh at HQ. I can see the toffs sneaking that at Twikkers.

The only way is up!
  • Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Agree that England would have been turned over by the top teams based on their performance on Saturday. Lets not forget that Italy have targeted next weekend as their game of the season (home match against potentially the weakest England team for a while and England being the only team in the Six Nations they haven't beaten yet).

I'm guessing the England team is targeting 3 wins this six nations. I did think it looked like a potentially good team for the future though.
  • cjcp
    Sketchley wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

Both Ireland and Wales would have ripped apart England with their very very good finishing at the weekend. As good as the England performance was all Scotland needed was better finishing and they had us beat. We would not get away with that against Wales, Ireland or France based on those performances.

I have to say based on weekend performances I'd put the finishing order as Wales, France, Ireland, England, Scotland, Italy. I would have put Ireland ahead of France if the game between them was in Ireland, Wales will play France at home so I think they will edge that. England are way to France and I don't predict a win there, but are at home of Wales and Ireland both of which will be hard games but I cannot see England winning either. I'd even go as far as to say there's a very good chance of Welsh grand slam.....

The Wales/France match will be a belter. How do I know this? Because my sister has the tickets for this, not me.

Plums.

Re England/Wales, will be fascinating to see the Farrell/Roberts match-up.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."