The Six Nations thread.

Comments

• It is indeed. First time I can remember Scotland entertaining in a long time.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I think that England and Scotland came out and performed much better than most of us had expected - both are on the up. With better handling - I reckon Scotland could have nicked it.

With a decent TMO, I reckon England ........not that I'm complaining.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,682
    "England's David Strettle insists try against Wales was genuine

David Strettle criticised the match officials for failing to award his late try in England's 19-12 defeat by Wales."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17169125

Discuss...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Discuss....?
    I have.
    In all the replays the ball was off the ground until it was on the wrong side of the line.
    I dare say those south of Hadrian's and east of the Wales border will disagree.
    Discuss all you want. The result still stands.
    Oh, and the conversion wouldn't have been easy what with position and pressure so faint hopes.......
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • It was a try.

But it doesn't really matter, because it was disallowed.

More curious is that Walsh seemed to forget that he was playing England advantage. At 80.10 or so he calls penalty against red 3 on the nearside. He doesn't call "advantage over" subsequently. Then Strettle goes over, and there is a long wait for the TMO to announce. When the TMO says no try, Walsh asks whether Strettle went over in normal time (no) because if it is no try, then it should be scrum white unless time was up. The TMO says (rightly) Strettle went over after the 80 was up, but Walsh seems to have forgotten the penalty and the TMO isn't asked about that.

Bit odd, that.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daviesee
    Greg66 wrote:
    Bit odd, that.
    True about the penalty.
    At what point did he get downward pressure on the ball on the ground over the line?
    I am not being mischevious. I simply didn't see it happen.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Greg66 wrote:
    It was a try.

But it doesn't really matter, because it was disallowed.

More curious is that Walsh seemed to forget that he was playing England advantage. At 80.10 or so he calls penalty against red 3 on the nearside. He doesn't call "advantage over" subsequently. Then Strettle goes over, and there is a long wait for the TMO to announce. When the TMO says no try, Walsh asks whether Strettle went over in normal time (no) because if it is no try, then it should be scrum white unless time was up. The TMO says (rightly) Strettle went over after the 80 was up, but Walsh seems to have forgotten the penalty and the TMO isn't asked about that.

Bit odd, that.

It happened in an earlier match - cant remember which game now, Wales-Scotland perhaps. I assumed that the advantage was automatically over when the ref goes to the TMO on a try decision.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    The better side won on the day, but it does seem there are some green shoots for England - particularly given that was the youngest side ever to represent us in a Six Nations clash. I thought Dickson and Farrell combined very well together and look like a very strong pairing for the future.

No problems with the referee or the video evidence at the end of the game (one of those where the frame by frame was less helpful than the action in real-time - couldn't be given based on the replays), but I did think that the touch judges should have provided more assistance throughout the match.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2012
    daviesee wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Bit odd, that.
    True about the penalty.
    At what point did he get downward pressure on the ball on the ground over the line?
    I am not being mischevious. I simply didn't see it happen.

IRB Rules:
    22.1 GROUNDING THE BALL

There are two ways a player can ground the ball:
    (a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.

(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

Under (a) as long as Strettle was holding the ball with his arm when the ball touches the ground in goal, it's a try. No downward pressure required under (a).

ETA: http://slikimages.com/2012/02/rugby-uni ... was-wrong/ is a sports photographer's website with a useful frame by frame taken by him. You can see the foot of the Welsh player with the light scrum cap move over the line, and the ball is ahead of that.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Paulie W wrote:

It happened in an earlier match - cant remember which game now, Wales-Scotland perhaps. I assumed that the advantage was automatically over when the ref goes to the TMO on a try decision.

I think it happened in the Scot v Eng game with that disallowed try. Would need to check to be sure. Refs can and do go back for penalties following a TMO decision. In this case the ref hadn't called advantage over but he clearly felt that the scoring attempt was advantage enough giving the point of the original penalty or he forgot about the penalty which is unlikely. To put this another way if he had come back for the penalty would there have been a better scoring opportunity from it?

Anyway pointless debate it happened and it's over. I feel slightly more confident about the France and Ireland games now, but I still think Wales v France will be the grand slam decider.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • daviesee
    Greg66 wrote:
    ETA: http://slikimages.com/2012/02/rugby-uni ... was-wrong/ is a sports photographer's website with a useful frame by frame taken by him. You can see the foot of the Welsh player with the light scrum cap move over the line, and the ball is ahead of that.
    I would say that in the "conclusive" shot his hand is in contact with the ball but he is not "holding" it.
    Even if that was a blue jersey, I still wouldn't think it was a try.
  • ddraver wrote:
    "England's David Strettle insists try against Wales was genuine

David Strettle criticised the match officials for failing to award his late try in England's 19-12 defeat by Wales."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17169125

Discuss...

I wish he hadn't said those things. Not doing himself any favours. I thought rugby players just shrugged in a in a gentlemanly 'win some lose some' fashion.

It was a fantastic game tho'. Well done both sides. For me the Welsh composure during the sin bin was decisive.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    This is a very good Welsh team. I'm really happy with the way we (England) soaked up the pressure in the first 30 mins. Wales were playing like they wanted to run in a hatful 'when they hadn't earned the right to play' and I was hoping that at 50 minutes we'd rattled them enough so that they would start playing silly rugby...

However, it wasnt to be. Going down to 14 men was the best thing for Wales and they were forced to slow the game down, got their composure back and I think they realised that this is a pretty limited England team and if they aim to win narrowly (rather than 'humiliate' us) they could do it relatively easily.

Which, in the end, they did.

Well played the Welsh. Can't wait for next year!!!
  • ddraver
    Tomy Bowe's having a stormer today....
    - @ddraver
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,078
    A draw! Always unsatisfactory. I was hoping for a Grand Slam showdown between France and Wales.
    On the plus side 3 teams still have a chance of winning the Championship......... in theory ;).
    Wales really shouldn't lose this one.
  • benno68
    A draw! Always unsatisfactory. I was hoping for a Grand Slam showdown between France and Wales.
    On the plus side 3 teams still have a chance of winning the Championship......... in theory ;).
    Wales really shouldn't lose this one.

Please don't put the commentators curse on us. I much prefer it when Wales are the underdogs.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,078
    Dammit!

That was my careful cautious wording:(
    Not meant to be a hex, at all.
  • benno68
    Well, Cardiff is buzzing already. I'm not a religious man, but please God.................

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • clarkey cat
    can the 2nd best team in the Northern Hemisphere pull off a famous Grand Slam?

so glad I left Cardiff just as we (England) started to go downhill.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Scotland v Italy match is the most boring game I have ever watched. I feel bad for any none rugby regulars who sat down today and thought "I'll have a watch of the rugby and see what all the fuss is about"....
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • clarkey cat
    Scotland vs anyone tends to be make for a dull game. Awful team.
  • mrc1
    Yep - surely Robinson has to start taking responsibility.

Wales v France making up for it though. Lets hope England v Ireland is even better!

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not in a good way at the moment...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :D:D:D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    I'm off to church later - thank you god :)

Not the best of matches but with so much resting on it I had a feeling it would be a grind.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • mrc1
    cjcp wrote:
    :D:D:D

Definitely deserved overall.

Jonathan Davies is hilarious as a commentator. I like the bloke and he talks sense but his commentary is so biased it is untrue.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Great game!

Wife's now gone out on the piss. Something wrong there
  • ddraver
    Well from the first 15 of Eng v Irl, it looks like we re in for an exhibition match! Let's hope so!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    OK, back to normal now...
    - @ddraver
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Irish pack being anialated - painful to watch (as an ex-front row forward)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH