Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    2 year ban . . . .

Is it true?
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Sonny73 wrote:

and for those with an unsimpathetic employer...
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    So Schleck wins the Tour and Scarponi wins the Giro eh?
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827
    Yup 2 year ban. Shame it took them 2 years to arrive at that decision.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • If I don't meet targets I lose my job, it's 11.12 gmt (or was). CAS website very very slow, good to know that the Indonesian Football Club Persipura Jayapura have been reinstated in the AFC Champions League 2012. Nothing on Bertie yet.
  • this is a car crash all round. his presence in races he didn't win was decisive during those two years. e.g. tempting voeckler to chase him up the galibier.
    doping should be taken out of the hands of national federations. they are the real villains here.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited February 2012
    To lose one Grand Tour may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I don't know what Frenchie would do if Piti hadn't returned.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    This is a travesty. Exciting riders and gentleman dopers should not be banned. So says the clinic.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Inrng says 2 years: https://twitter.com/#!/inrng/status/166480918184345600
    CAS verdict on Contador: two year ban confirmed. Awaiting further details, eg whether to strip past results like Giro d'Italia etc
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    rozzer32 wrote:

Indeed.

I'm surprised it's gone up to a two year ban tbh.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Trending on UK twitter.

Hah.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    What a mess. Had to be 2 years in the end as it would be ridiculous for him to face a ban and not actually have to sit out any racing. Its not just about results, he has been able to maintain his presence in the peloton, maintain form, keep his team beerth, keep advertising his sponsors and generally suffer less than somebody being made to sit out for a year or two. Hopefully this will be the end of it, he can come back for the Vuelta and show what he's made of there (I really hope he'll be riding clean when he comes back).
  • Two years for Contador?!?! Thats a disgrace, if every athlete from every other sport was tested the way this cyclist are then more than 90% of them would have failed it easily.

Disgrace, now cycling is now officially gone to the dogs!
    ITS BY DOING WHAT EVER, THAT YOU BECOME WHOEVER!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Well spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska...I did not expect that at all!
    rozzer32 wrote:

Anyway, back to important matters, does this mean you re still PTP Champ Rozzer?! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    European Court of Something or Other here we come :(
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2012
    Total bullshit. Total politics.

Andy Schleck is a puny boy with no racing balls. Zero class, zero ability to inspire fans.

If he can bring himself to race ever again after this injustice, he will come back and tear the hell out of the Vuelta. August 6, 2012.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    Backdated bans are absurd. Can you imagine it happening in another sport?

Man U didn't win the league last year because one of their players has received a backdated ban and his goals have been removed; his assists and key contributions are considered ok though. He is elligible to play this weekend as he has now served his ban on full salary.
  • dougzz

Andy Schleck is a puny boy with no racing balls. Zero class, zero ability to inspire fans.

If he can bring himself to race ever again after this injustice, he will come back and tear the hell out of the Vuelta. August 6, 2012.

Calm down, you knew this day would come. For the 10,000th time, don't you see the correlation between doping and exciting riding?
  • Total bullshit. Total politics.

I seem to remember (a long time ago) you stating that if he was found guilty by CAS, you would accept it. So it was politics that got the clen into his system? should have used that as his defence.

I'm pleased he got what he deserved.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Perhaps if the RFEC had carried through with their one year ban back in February last year, things would not have been so drawn out. Now the RFEC has lost face as well.
  • dougzz
    Where does this leave Saxo?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    What a joke. I can't help but think he was expecting the ban, so thought he'd get some race miles in his legs before it was enforced (hence his racing in Argentina).

Part of the penalty of a ban is the time you lose in competition, meaning that you then need more time to get up to speed when you return. All this sort of ban does is encourage the guilty to keep on racing and doing whatever they can to delay proceedings as much as possible.

At least AS can now say he is capable of winning the Tour. Probably the only time he will ever win it.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Hmm - surprised. Ballsy decision.

Not a celebration, nor a mourning here - just hope that everybody else acknowledges that there is no excuse, no matter who you are for doping, that tests will catch you and that the only answer is to ride clean.
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    dougzz wrote:
    Where does this leave Saxo?

Stuffed!! :)
  • Morning all, I haven't posted on here in ages!

I'm genuinely surprised that the powers that be have had the guts to make that call. It's the right call and, whilst it makes cycling look very stupid, I hope that it gives pause for thought to riders who, when caught, squirm and use every trick in the book to try and dodge sanction as well as the teams who will still sign them on a nod.

Lastly, I hope he does the full two years, as he'd effectively had 18 months on borrowed time.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Schleck is a pretty good cyclist. He did win the 2010 Tour de France.

I agree Contador should clear up at the Vuelta, he should be fit for it seeing as he wont be riding the Giro or the Tour de France this year.