Contador Ruling

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    dougzz wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    But the Vicks inhaler had the banned substance listed on the ingredients.

But in fairness, wasn't it because the UK and US Inhalers had different ingredients, and he'd have been fine with a UK one, he really did fall fail of some very bad luck.

That was my recollection yes.

I'm not saying it wasn't bad luck, but at least the ingredient was there on the ingredients.

Banning riders for 2 years on the basis of contaminated supplements is different though, as far as I can see, there is no practical way for a rider to be sure he is avoiding contaminated foods in everyday life
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Perhaps he can go on holiday to Puerto Ricco and have a nice relaxing summer now :)
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The Panel concluded that both the meat contamination scenario and the blood transfusion
    scenario were, in theory, possible explanations for the adverse analytica
    however equally unlikely. In the Panel’s opinion
    presence of clenbuterol was more likely caused by the ingestion of a contaminated food
    supplement.

Interesting

So if they think it came from ingested meat then why is he banned.

CAS thinks it came from contaminated food supplements -> strict liability -> ban.

It is quite a harsh punishment when you consider the amount involved, and that CAS thinks it was not deliberate, but CAS are just following the rules.

I don't think that CAS believe it was accidental - there was something announced that CAS or WADA wanted to introduce evidence about the plasticisers in his blood (evidence of a blood transfusion) - however as the case was drawn up around the Clen amounts, it was ruled inadmissable. Also there isn't a LEGALLY acceptable test to prove transfusion so the case was argued based on Strict Liability. I guess they have had to accept Contador's reason of why it was there, hence the legal nod towards it, but essentially are saying by its very presence then you are banned.

There is a bigger argument about transfusing off-season blood which had been doped with Clen (which subsequently decayed) or transfusing blood to mask the Clen - but CAS decided this was impossible to prove given present legal standings.
  • I don't follow the Cnews forum but has anything interesting been posted there?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    mr_poll wrote:

I don't think that CAS believe it was accidental

There is a bigger argument about transfusing off-season blood which had been doped with Clen (which subsequently decayed) or transfusing blood to mask the Clen - but CAS decided this was impossible to prove given present legal standings.

+ 1
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I don't follow the Cnews forum but has anything interesting been posted there?

Thay have raised (but not answered) the issue of whether the removal of all Contador's results means that Saxo no longer have sufficient points to be considered a PT team. If thats the case, they'd have to rely on a wild-card entry to allow Bertie ride the 2012 Vuelta.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • I don't think they've done this very well at all.
    Andy Schleck didn't get to stand in the yellow jersey in Paris.
    Michele Scarponi didn't get the pink in Milan.
    Levi and/or some South American guys have missed out on a couple of San Luis Stages
    etc...

He'd already been out for a while on his provisional ban (6 months??) so that leaves him with 18 months left.
    I reckon it should have been Tour 2010 to Schleck, as he tested positive there, but the rest of his results up to now should have remained, as he didn't test positive in anything else, plus we know he was the best at the Giro. Then it should be his 18 months left over now, taking him up to August 2013, without racing i.e. actually banned.

Glad he didn't win Alpe D'Huez last year. Would have been bad for Pierre Rollland as that was his breakthrough.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If his ban expired a few days earlier the Spanish could've selected him for the Olympic TT and he could've come and dumped all over cycling in my back yard.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Iain,

Don't athletes have to be available from the start of the games, for precisely that reason?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LangerDan
    iainf72 wrote:
    If his ban expired a few days earlier the Spanish could've selected him for the Olympic TT and he could've come and dumped all over cycling in my back yard.

What's that phrase you use? "Prison talk?"
  • I'm pleased; I think he doped, then lied.

Hopefully it will put other riders off doping. Just a shame for the sport that another cyclist has been doping.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Iain,

Don't athletes have to be available from the start of the games, for precisely that reason?

So they can dump in Iain's back yard? Is that what passes for an opening ceremony these days?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Iain,

So they can dump in Iain's back yard? Is that what passes for an opening ceremony these days?

There's no ruling on that. Which is precisely why I've been saying for years that all those people around the world who want to dump in Iains back garden need to come together and sort this out.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    RichN95 wrote:
    Iain,

Well seeing as Danny Boyle is in charge of the opening ceremony, you never know. He does have previous!

slum460.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Something tells me Iain secretly wants a grandstand view of Contador squatting over some grass and curling out a big bum cigar.

Maybe not.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    There's no ruling on that. Which is precisely why I've been saying for years that all those people around the world who want to dump in Iains back garden need to come together and sort this out.

It would certainly be more interesting than the track "cycling"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I don't follow the Cnews forum but has anything interesting been posted there?

There is some poor girl who's absoloutley distraught whos taking all the attention last time I looked. Sounds like you might have a potential Mrs FF?! :wink:

Other than that, they re covering pretty much the ame ground we are, with a few Armstrong conspiracies thrown in as is usual for that place...It's hardly a place for reasoned thought.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LangerDan
    slum460.jpg
    Thanks CB - I had been looking forward to having a caramel quare and a cup of coffee, but I seem to have lost my appetite
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    edited February 2012
    LangerDan wrote:
    Thanks CB - I had been looking forward to having a caramel quare and a cup of coffee, but I seem to have lost my appetite

Oops. I'm sure it's only something like caramel squares they used. Hope that helps!
  • The big riders line the douche bag UCI and co's coffers and then they cast them out.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pereiro ... rs-cas-ban
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2012
    Any tweets on this from his peers? Haven't seen any yet. None from Pinotti who is normally quick on this sort of thing - obvious why here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    So. What now for Saxo Bank?

Do they sack Contador?
    Do they hire him back?
    Will they have the points to be World Tour next year?

If I was Riis, I'd get rid of him completely (and his cronies once they're out of contract) and start buying up points for 2013 with the money saved.
  • RichN95.
    Any tweets on this from his peers? Haven't seen any yet. None from Pinotti who is normally quick on this sort of thing - obvious why here.

There's an exceptionally bland statement from the 2011 Giro winner:

http://www.teamlampre.it/en/2012/02/giro-ditalia-2011/
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Strange how we get the Armstrong news on Friday and now this today ....mmmm funny that UCI/CAS whatever seem to have telepathic PR :roll:
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    josame wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:

and for those with an unsimpathetic employer...
    I assume your boss is a non cycling fan then? Know the feeling well, with my uncle and a couple of mates that will sadly see this as proof to their pro cycling is full of cheats mindsets.
  • RichN95.
    Any comment from Mr Shleck yet?

Yes. It's like a Contador fan wrote it for him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-sc ... doping-ban
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Must admit I wouldn't feel any satisfaction in being handed a retrospective win.
  • How can Pereiro argue that Valverde's case wasn't proven? How much more proof do you want than a DNA match on a bag of blood recovered from a crooked doctor's fridge?

@gietvangent
  • Sonny73 wrote:
    Must admit I wouldn't feel any satisfaction in being handed a retrospective win.

Is there any way it can be refused? I don't know if i'd like to be branded the Tour winner who came second TBH.