Contador Ruling

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Must admit I wouldn't feel any satisfaction in being handed a retrospective win.

I would provided that:
    (i) I hadn't doped
    (ii) I believed the other person had doped, gained an advantage and defeated me because it.

Can't think either apply here.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Must admit I wouldn't feel any satisfaction in being handed a retrospective win.

I would provided that:
    (i) I hadn't doped
    (ii) I believed the other person had doped, gained an advantage and defeated me because it.

Can't think either apply here.

Yes, but are you sure though? :wink:
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    How can Pereiro argue that Valverde's case wasn't proven? How much more proof do you want than a DNA match on a bag of blood recovered from a crooked doctor's fridge?

Simple, you avoid all evidence and facts and judge the whole matter on nationality and who your mates are.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Roll on the 2013 then - Will be dull as dishwater watching evans,schleks,& wiggins if he can stay upright.

"well am not attacking i will ride on your wheel...nah can i sit behind you...wait a min till i ask my brother if i can attack.....he says NO were to ride together :D
  • So is there anyone who is happy apart from a handful on this forum? All those people who count back Contador.

giro201114P07.jpg

I'm sorry there aren't many GT contenders that have the class, racing purity and grit that Contador has.
    x610-2-4.jpg

tdf09st15-look.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    So is there anyone who is happy apart from a handful on this forum? All those people who count back Contador.

giro201114P07.jpg

I'm sorry there aren't many GT contenders that have the class, racing purity and grit that Contador has.
    x610-2-4.jpg

tdf09st15-look.jpg

Like i said FF - Roll on 2013
  • Must admit Frenchie, although I new this day was coming, still a bit gutted if i'm honest, obviously I cannot argue the outcome, but as you say, many of the GT riders are pretty damn boring to watch, although i'd love them to prove me wrong of course! Can honestly say i'm now looking forward to the Tour a lot less. But, what will be will be....
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Roll on the 2013 then - Will be dull as dishwater watching evans,schleks,& wiggins if he can stay upright.

I'm sorry, I must've missed an *exciting* GT that Contador won?

Unless of course exciting means the same guy riding away uphill over and over and over again.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gazzetta67
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Unless of course exciting means the same guy riding away uphill over and over and over again.

Well if it`s ANY of the above riders i mentioned you will be waiting a long time before any of these wheelsuckers try and attack as they all ride with "Rearview mirror`s" on their handlebars.

• I'm sorry there aren't many GT contenders that have the class, racing purity and grit that Contador has.

Surely class and racing purity would include
    (a) not doping
    (b) if you can't quite bring yourself to manage (a) not whining like a [female dog]* when caught?

*Changed for the benefit of the forum's swearbot
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Well if it`s ANY of the above riders i mentioned you will be waiting a long time before any of these wheelsuckers try and attack as they all ride with "Rearview mirror`s" on their handlebars.

I'm sorry you seem to have missed the 2010 Giro and the2011 Tour De France in their entirity.

What if banning people who cheat results in other GT contenders not being half dead from hanging onto the wheels of doped riders so that they can animate the race a bit more?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dougzz
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Galibier last year. Great ride by Schleck, 60K solo, and watching Evans pull it back enough without any help at all as the field sucked his wheel..... no, don't remember that one?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

I'm sorry you seem to have missed the 2010 Giro and the2011 Tour De France in their entirity.

What if banning people who cheat results in other GT contenders not being half dead from hanging onto the wheels of doped riders so that they can animate the race a bit more?
    :o I dread to think.
  • Sonny73 wrote:

Is there any way it can be refused? I don't know if i'd like to be branded the Tour winner who came second TBH.

I'll have it if nobody else wants it!

:D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

It's as if I imagined Stage 18 of the 2011 Tour, you know - the one where Schleck attacked from miles out (or did I dream that?)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    dougzz wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Galibier last year. Great ride by Schleck, 60K solo, and watching Evans pull it back enough without any help at all as the field sucked his wheel..... no, don't remember that one?

I was just thinking the same thing regarding the TDF in particular. Last year was a good tour really to watch, and not a lot of that was down to Contador.

Voeckler, Shleck, Evans, some brilliant racing I thought.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Apart from last year's Galibier stage, the most exciting Contador GT racing that springs to mind is the duel with the Chicken up the Peyresourde and, later on, the Aubisque – enough said, maybe. Mind you the Astana rivalry with Lance was also quite entertaining (was that the year after?...).
  • Gazzetta67
    dougzz wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Ok Doug - (new that would be mentioned) but none of them are generally known for their attacking eh. - Hey look am not wanting to stir up at hornets nest ....I was brought up watching Fignon who ALWAYS seemed to attack even if he was 10 mins ahead and could have easily sat in the bunch.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Oh c'mon - Berties 2011 descent breakaway (altho not successfull in the end) on stage 16 or 17 (?) was top notch and EBH won it so even better!
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • There is more to Pro Cycling than the Tour de France, but I know that many of you don't watch much else. Contador animates races he rides in all through the season, riding to win and is liked and praised by fans and fellow riders alike.

Trying to argue otherwise is silly.

And don't be even more silly and saying the best rider in the World dopes for 'small' races, where he also owns the field. In addition, many of Contador's wins are close with not such a large margin. He is not afraid of losing and doesn't sniff at a handful of seconds.

Finally, referring to the TdF 11 - he was whacked from tearing up the Giro (where he could of just sat in and been defnesive but no he rode aggressively even when in the lead) and yet he still rode well in the Tour (I'd like to see any other riders dominate a Giro then ride as he did in the Tour). And anyway, he lit up the Tour at many points - you want a hundred photos with videos to match? Without him it would have been pretty defensive.

tdf_stage8_2011_climbers.jpg

He was in superb form coming into this season and was going to try new races so very disappointed we wont see him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

Ok Doug - (new that would be mentioned) but none of them are generally known for their attacking eh. - Hey look am not wanting to stir up at hornets nest ....I was brought up watching Fignon who ALWAYS seemed to attack even if he was 10 mins ahead and could have easily sat in the bunch.

You mean you (like me) grew up watching heavily edited highlights when it looked like people attacked all the time?

Evans attacks. Andy Schlecks win in LBL was the result of a brilliant attack.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    There is more to Pro Cycling than the Tour de France, but I know that many of you don't watch much else.

Yeah, I love the way he rips it up at Flanders, Roubaix and San Remo. Oh, wait a minute..... :wink:
  • Gazzetta67
    Pross wrote:
    There is more to Pro Cycling than the Tour de France, but I know that many of you don't watch much else.

Yeah, I love the way he rips it up at Flanders, Roubaix and San Remo. Oh, wait a minute..... :wink:

Your Answer is EXACTLY why FF posted this... I think it`s you who needs educated on the difference between Stage races and certain 1 day classics
  • mfin wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

I was just thinking the same thing regarding the TDF in particular. Last year was a good tour really to watch, and not a lot of that was down to Contador.

Voeckler, Shleck, Evans, some brilliant racing I thought.

Huh?
    Gap, Pinerolo, Col du Telegraphe a black hole in your memory?

From purely a racing standpoint, I have to agree with Frenchie.
    Bertie is/was a bit of blue touchpaper.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Na. My opinion is that in 2011's Tour, he didnt do much for my personal enjoyment of the racing. Perhaps that was tainted by my perception that I was watching a doper who shouldnt have even been racing, but there you go. Glad he didnt wreck the result.
  • What I'm finding unsettling is people like Sastre complaining the result is unsound. There are a lot of big names saying it's not fair to catch and sanction a cheat.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • dougzz
    What I'm finding unsettling is people like Sastre complaining the result is unsound. There are a lot of big names saying it's not fair to catch and sanction a cheat.

Are you familiar with an expression about glass houses?
  • Frenchfighter, i'm genuinely confused by you. Do you think that he should be excused his transgression because he is an exciting rider? Or do you think he committed no transgression?

And if you think he committed no transgression, is the fact that he is an exciting rider part of your reasoning?
  • 30 days to appeal?

http://www.marca.com/2012/02/06/ciclism ... 25550.html

Spanish coverage.

Makes me wonder if the reported hub-bub was of about 2 weeks ago of some members of the WADA contingent walking out on the proceedings was even true, I guess so but the ruling went in their favour, this seems very hard on AC.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    What I'm finding unsettling is people like Sastre complaining the result is unsound. There are a lot of big names saying it's not fair to catch and sanction a cheat.

But the verdict doesn't actually label him a cheat, that's just your spin, it simply sanctions him under the rule of strict liability while accepting that the substance was most likely ingested accidentally.