New bike - online retailer, chain snapped, advice please

Thebigbee
Thebigbee Posts: 570
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I got an insurance replacement bike from an online retailer. It was a brand new Scott with an RRP of £580 and the date on the invoice is the 22 December 2011 - so not even a month old. Added to that I have done less than 20 miles on it what with Christmas, the holidays and also because it has been fairly dry so have been out on my Spesh and on the turbo when wet.

Anyway was out on it earlier, not even riding it hard or thank God not going downhill, out the saddle or on a main or busy road - and the chain just snapped on me when I was shifting up.

I couldn't believe it as I felt no tension and actually had the nous to realise what had happened and watched the chain slide off and then watched it get caught on the chainring whilst comprehending what had happened.

I have informed the online company I got the bike from and their attitude seems to be that the chain isn't covered by the warranty. They have offered to send me a new chain and have offered to reimburse me when I take it to a bike shop to fit - cheers!

I feel that they are completely missing the point of quite how serious this is and how something like this could have been potentially lethal. I am not exagerating as anyone who has had an off due to a snapped chain will realise. It just shouldn't happen on a new bike with under 20 miles on the clock.

I am not after making a claim against them or anything like that, luckily I wasn't injured. I would just appreciate some advice as to handle the situation.

Unfortunately I struggle to find it a "one off" as I had another insurance bike off them that was riddled with problems whilst all the other bikes I have ever owned, all second hand, haven't been. Sods law? I'm not convinced.

Any advice or suggestions greatfully received,

Cheers

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    <Bites bottom lip>
    <sits back with popcorn and waits>
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    Nope, I can't resist it.........

So:

Your chain snapped.
    Chain isn't covered under warranty but online retailer offered to swap chain and reimburse for work at LBS.
    You weren't hurt, but aren't happy with this.
    You're not going to make a claim, but want to know how to handle the situation.

What exactly do you want ?
    You're not Speed_King are you ?

Somebody say it for me..............
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Why not be the envy of your friends by using your old chain to make some very fashionable and desirable jewellery.

8135_mar_bicycle_full.jpg
  • Thebigbee
    MattC59 wrote:

So:

Your chain snapped.
    Chain isn't covered under warranty but online retailer offered to swap chain and reimburse for work at LBS.

So you have proved that you can't read then....congratulations!

You'd be perfectly happy if your brand new bike chain snapped after under 20 miles.

I suggest you get your head out your ass and learn to read... or continue making incredibly helpful posts just because you are a sad case with nothing better to do.

How do I know that the chainrings, derailleurs, cassette hasn't been damaged Sherlock?

What about the hassle that I have to go through to resolve this?

Would you have the same backwards attitude if this had happened at speed going downhill on a main road?

How about if the bike wasn't for me but one of my kids cycling to school?

You're completely missing the point, but I expect that is why you are a "confirmed bachelor".

Idiot
  • MattC59
    Thebigbee wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

So:

Your chain snapped.

You'd be perfectly happy if your brand new bike chain snapped after under 20 miles.

I suggest you get your head out your ass and learn to read... or continue making incredibly helpful posts just because you are a sad case with nothing better to do.

How do I know that the chainrings, derailleurs, cassette hasn't been damaged Sherlock?

Would you have the same backwards attitude if this had happened at speed going downhill on a main road?

You're completely missing the point, but I expect that is why you are a "confirmed bachelor".

Idiot

hahahaahaha ahaha haahaha ahaahahahahaahaha a

Brilliant !!
    I honestly don't know what to say to that, other than my wife, yep, I'm not a confirmed batchelor, has just asked why I'm laughing my ass off !!!!
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Thebigbee
    Jealousy - such an ugly trait.

Used to be some helpful people on this site....

Oh well - enjoy your humour guys - no 1 - 1st - touche....lol
  • Thebigbee
    MattC59 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

So:

Your chain snapped.

Idiot

Brilliant !!
    I honestly don't know what to say to that, other than my wife, yep, I'm not a confirmed batchelor, has just asked why I'm laughing my ass off !!!!

Such a rational response to an internet forum.

1st you have the time to post a sarky comment - and that secondly you are actually reacting in the way that you say you are.

Sad case...

I don't feel the need to post sh1te if I can't help someone - but my life obviously isn't as complete as yours....
  • MattC59
    I'm sorry, I do apologise.
    I'm just at a complete loss as to what you want them to do, or what you expect anyone on here to say.

May I ask though, what do you think I'm jealous of, having a broken chain ?

(still trying not to laugh though, so I'll just suggest that you blame Wiggle)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Can I suggest that you keep calm and carry on? Or will that advice generate more personal abuse?

The part of your O P that intrigues me is ..... you have had an unhappy experience with this retailer before and you dealt with them again.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I would say take the new chain and enjoy the bike. If you are determined to take it further, email the manufacturer of the chain (the online retailer didn't make it, they just supplied it) and ask if you can send them the chain for investigation. You are right, a chain should last for more than 20 miles, but the retailer have made a generous offer.
  • MattC59
    Thebigbee wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Thebigbee wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

So:

Your chain snapped.

Idiot

Brilliant !!

Such a rational response to an internet forum.

1st you have the time to post a sarky comment - and that secondly you are actually reacting in the way that you say you are.

Sad case...

I don't feel the need to post sh1te if I can't help someone - but my life obviously isn't as complete as yours....

It just gets better !
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    warranty is irrelevant, the bike has to be fit for purpose

if they built it wrong, in law it's their fault, i.e. didn't fit the chain correctly - did it break at the joining pin (usually the pins are riveted, but the pin it's joined with is just press fit), if so then chances are they cocked up the installation

but *proving* that is going to be tough, you might as well just take the money, you can report them to trading standards as endangering you through their poor installation, but without proof the ts can't do much more than log it (if there've been multiple reports, then they can take action)

fwiw i've never had a new bike that was built exactly right, every single one needed tweaking. a couple of years ago on holiday i had loan of two brand new bikes, i snapped both chains, one lasted an hour, then next about 5 seconds, refitted the pins *correctly* myself, fine for the next three weeks. sometimes i hire a bike on hols, i check it *very* carefully before riding it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I reckon the online retailer are probably putting dodgy chains on their bikes in an attempt the kill off all their customers. :roll:

In all seriousness mate

Chains break, sh1t happens,

The online retailer offered you a new chain and any labour costs that maybe incurred. Sounds more than reasonable to me. If you can't fit a new chain yourself then learn, it's not that hard. Maybe ask the online retailer for a chain tool instead of the labour costs.
  • Thebigbee
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I would say take the new chain and enjoy the bike. If you are determined to take it further, email the manufacturer of the chain (the online retailer didn't make it, they just supplied it) and ask if you can send them the chain for investigation. You are right, a chain should last for more than 20 miles, but the retailer have made a generous offer.

Thanks for some sense. My issue is with the company that I have been FORCED to use a second time through my insurance. It isn't Wiggle - wish it was as I am sure I would have got a better CS.

My issue is that it shouldn't of happened on a new bike with under 20 miles on it and the fact that I don't know if any more damage has been caused. Also because of the hassle that I now have to go through and am bikeless and potless and have to wait around for at the least a new chain to be delivered, book a fitting, take it there, wait for a refund of labour costs - and still there may be more problems.

It's a bit like buying a new car and the clutch not being covered by warranty but it packs up after 200 miles. You wouldn't be pleased as the transport is useless untill fixed.

That was the point I was making. And I have mentioned to the supplier - who does this problem lie with? Shimano for making the chain, Scott for distributing the new bike or themselves for supplying something that was not fit for purpose?
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Thebigbee wrote:
    My issue is that it shouldn't of happened on a new bike with under 20 miles on it and the fact that I don't know if any more damage has been caused. Also because of the hassle that I now have to go through and am bikeless and potless and have to wait around for at the least a new chain to be delivered, book a fitting, take it there, wait for a refund of labour costs - and still there may be more problems.

Send the bloody thing back then..

You're making a serious mountain out of a little tiny molehill.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Yes, it shouldn't have happened and yes it's inconvenient. But what's the other option? Write to the company and tell them you want a replacement bike or a refund. Wait weeks for a reply saying no. Write to them again telling them you will take them to court if they don't. Wait weeks for a reply saying "send the bike back well investigate". Wait weeks for the investigation which concludes it was a simple chain failure and they send you the bike back with a new chain fitted.

As someone else said, sh1t happens. They should be able to send you a chain for next day delivery, you can fit it in 5 minutes, your on the road again, put it behind you and change the insurance company who are forcing you to use that company.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Gizmodo wrote:
    They should be able to send you a chain for next day delivery, you can fit it in 5 minutes, your on the road again, put it behind you

+loads

Fit the chain . . . . move on
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Maybe the OP would be better off with inanimate objects, perhaps soft toys, cos he's good at chucking his teddy? ;-)
    The incident didn't cause any injury or damage, just a minor inconvenience and therefore any additional claim is unwarranted.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Step aside, Speed_King!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    MattC59 wrote:
    I'm sorry, I do apologise.
    I'm just at a complete loss as to what you want them to do, or what you expect anyone on here to say.

May I ask though, what do you think I'm jealous of, having a broken chain ?

(still trying not to laugh though, so I'll just suggest that you blame Wiggle)

Come on Matt be fair - the online retailer should be getting in their Delorean Time Machine and going back in time to ensure the chain doesnt break for reasons unknown. They should also know a chain may break after 20 miles just by looking at it!!

So to the OP - what do you really expect the retailer to do?? Personally i think they could argue that a broken chain could just as easily be down to user error as a faulty part or faulty installation. I've cringed at a mate changing gear with very low cadence and was just waiting for the bang of a snapped chain!! Maybe a government enquiry is needed into the broken chain? Maybe take them to court.............. or get a life and accept that sometimes, things break for no apparent reason and accept the chain asap and get on with enjoying your bike. As you can tell - i'm with Matt - the retailer has provided a logical solution and within their obligation to repair even if the chain does qualify for coverage under a warranty, which it probably doesnt.

PS fit it yourself. Its a 5 minute job
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    First ride is when you will find any problems, after this it will run perfectly for mile after mile hopefully.
    Fit the new chain and go riding.
    There must have been a defect in the chain, not the retailers fault.
    Buy online and get the cheap price v LBS and local help.
    Retailer has been very good here and I would have been happy with their response.
    Who was it.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Thebigbee wrote:
    I am not after making a claim against them or anything like that, luckily I wasn't injured. I would just appreciate some advice as to handle the situation.

Any advice or suggestions greatfully received,

Cheers

Quit yo Jibber-jabber! You ain't hurt, yo pathetic. Fix it, be a man!

mr-t-on-bike-with-goal-chain-wheels.jpg
  • Thebigbee wrote:
    and still there may be more problems.

I bet your the kind of guy that'll spot them too. :roll:

Early contender for 2012 thread of the year?
  • Thebigbee
    gmacz wrote:
    First ride is when you will find any problems, after this it will run perfectly for mile after mile hopefully.
    Fit the new chain and go riding.
    There must have been a defect in the chain, not the retailers fault.
    Buy online and get the cheap price v LBS and local help.
    Retailer has been very good here and I would have been happy with their response.
    Who was it.

It would of been nice if any one of you ever so helpful fellow cyclists actually read the first post...

Asking a bit much I guess.

Should have put in even less detail and then would have, perhaps, got some helpful answers.

Carry on posting your snide comments by all means. Read the OP.

I assume all of you posting these unhelpful comments would be just as chuffed if your new bike's chain snapped with under 20 miles on the clock?

I will just pull this thread that I started cos it has obviously annoyed quite a few people.

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to pull the thread I started at the top of this board, sorry guys - will see if BR want to though....
  • MattC59
    ahahaahahaa ahahahahahahaha ahahahahahaaaa
  • Thebigbee
    MattC59 wrote:

It is ironic matty - the more you comment - the more my name stays at the top of this board - and I don't have to post over 2000 times to do it.

Keep it up pal - ahhahahhahhhahhahahahhahA
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Thebigbee wrote:
    I assume all of you posting these unhelpful comments would be just as chuffed if your new bike's chain snapped with under 20 miles on the clock?

No, they'd all be pretty pissed off but they'd put the replacement chain on and carry on riding. Sitting in the corner having a hissy fit isn't going to help. If you check the chain (as already mentioned) and determine if the failure was at the jointing pin you can at least find out if the manufacturer or the retailer is more likely at fault but, as also said, maybe it was your shifting.

As for if anything else is damaged - put another bloody chain on and spin it through the gears. No point in worrying about things that might be broken without testing them.

Hopefully you aren't having the same strop with the retailer as you are having here as that sort of approach never gets you what you want.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MattC59
    Thebigbee wrote:

I think we'd have complained, accepted the offer of a new chain and the cost to have it installed, installed it and gone out for a ride.
    Thebigbee wrote:
    I will just pull this thread that I started cos it has obviously ammused quite a few people.

Fixed that for you.
    Thebigbee wrote:
    Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to pull the thread I started at the top of this board, sorry guys - will see if BR want to though....

He is Speed_King !!!!
  • MattC59
    Thebigbee wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

It is ironic matty - the more you comment - the more my name stays at the top of this board - and I don't have to post over 2000 times to do it.

Keep it up pal - ahhahahhahhhahhahahahhahA

That's a good thing, this is quite something !
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    So let me get this straight:

1. Your chain snapped
    2. Even though it's not a warranty item, the retailer has offered to replace it and pay for it to be fitted (you should really learn how to do this yourself, BTW), free of charge
    3. Despite that being essentially the same outcome as if the chain was a warranty item, you still feel they are not providing you with an adequate service?

What more do you want, the MD of the company to turn up at your door bearing a new chain on a purple cushion, heralded by a choir of angels dancing upon the Firmament?

PS A breaking chain would have to be going some to cause a 'lethal', i.e. fatal, accident. Painful, maybe.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
This discussion has been closed.