favourite boxsets

12346»

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Killing is very good but The Bridge is excellent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Walking Dead started again. Thoughts, etc?
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    notsoblue wrote:
    Walking Dead started again. Thoughts, etc?

I Sky+'ed it (all of S3), but I'm having trouble motivating myself to sit down and watch it. S1 was superb, but S2 kinda dragged on a bit. S3 looks good from the trailers, but I suspect I've got to trawl through some junk to get to the good bits.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is Justified. A bit of a cliche, but very good. Easy to watch, great characters, nice to watch a few back-to-back.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    after overdosing on the Killing a few months back we are BACK IN THE GROOVE.

season 1 of Californication - done. Chortlesome.

and now getting stuck into s.5 of Breaking Bad. Tense.

Getting Lilyhammer for Father's Day.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    More of a miniseries than a box set, but John Adams is *very* good.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Mrs EKE is now hooked on Breaking Bad. I'm up to date on it (awaiting the second half of series 5) but I've watched it all again with her. We've just been given a code to watch the first half of series 5 and she can't wait.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    vermin wrote:
    How on earth do you people find time to watch boxsets?

Don't spend as much time masturbating / counting the number of hairs left on your head.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sex and the City was a x-mas present to Ms DDD, we ended up watching the series together as our 'thing' when the baby is asleep.

do you actually own any balls?
    Ms DDD keeps them on the mantlepiece. :lol:

I know this is very late, like 4 months, but SATC is f*cking brilliant.
  • EKE_38BPM
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sex and the City was a x-mas present to Ms DDD, we ended up watching the series together as our 'thing' when the baby is asleep.

do you actually own any balls?
    Ms DDD keeps them on the mantlepiece. :lol:

I know this is very late, like 4 months, but SATC is f*cking brilliant.
    And my suspicions have been confirmed.

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Dexter: Series 7 for Father's Day.

Get in.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Since we got our boy so stopping us going out to the pub, we've gotten into watching boxsets. It beats channel surfing to find something good on, which usually ends up with me watching an old edition of QI on Dave.

We caught up on the last series of True Blood and have just started on Game of Thrones series 1 (we don't have FX or Sky Atlantic). Decided on GoT after all the hype and so far it's mostly living up to it, if a little slow at the moment.

We've also got series 1 of Madmen waiting to be seen as well.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Since we got our boy so stopping us going out to the pub, we've gotten into watching boxsets. It beats channel surfing to find something good on, which usually ends up with me watching an old edition of QI on Dave.

We caught up on the last series of True Blood and have just started on Game of Thrones series 1 (we don't have FX or Sky Atlantic). Decided on GoT after all the hype and so far it's mostly living up to it, if a little slow at the moment.

We've also got series 1 of Madmen waiting to be seen as well.

Take your time, S3 has just finished and S4 doesnt start til April 14.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    So finished season 5.1 of Breaking Bad last night.

God I love this show. It is the best boxset without doubt. As slick and entertaining as Dexter and as clever as Sopranos. The character arc of Walter is fascinating.
  • EKE_38BPM
    The Wire - done 10/10
    Breaking Bad - done 9.5/10
    Dexter - done 8.5/10
    Game of Thrones - done 9/10
    Orange is the new black - done 8/10

I may have to revisit The Wire as Mrs EKE hasn't watched it all and neither of us has watched all of The Sopranos. We've just started House of Cards but have already started looking for the next programme as we don't watch much TV during summer. Mrs EKE doesn't like subtitles (philistine) so The Killing etc are out (I'd watch them though).

What is the hip new programme that all the cool kidz are watching?
    Any recommendations from Netflix, Freeview, iPlayer, moody streaming sites?

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    True Detective with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey is shaping up to be a good series (i'm six episodes in). Got 17 nominations at the Emmy's apparently (only beaten by Game of Thrones 19). It's non episodic (no crimes of the week to be solved before the credits roll), following a single investigation across the whole of the first season as a lot of these modern HBO dramas do (i grew up in the 70's and 80's when the idea that viewers couldn't and wouldn't be interested in genre shows that had story arcs longer than 40 minutes).

Harrelson and McConaughey executive produce the show together so give themselves leeway to push their acting chops which wouldn't be the case if they were just employees and the result is slow but always interesting (McConaughey being nominated for best actor). The whole thing is told in flashback by Harrelson and McConaughey's characters as they both recount events in a case that they both worked on together in the 90's to a committee. A lot of the interest comes from McConaughey's obvious transition from uptight, suit and tie wearing super detective (90's) to the long haired waster who's recounting the tale to the committee (present day). What's happened to him? Where has he been the last decade? And how's it connected to the case? etc.

Good stuff but you have to pay attention.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Modern Family is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The West Wing stands out for me alone as the best TV ever made.

I'll avoid mentioning any of the other obvious and superb US dramas which have filled our screens in recent years.

How about comedy? For that you need to go British:

Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister
    Porridge
    The Office
    Extras
    Peep Show
    Faulty Towers
    Blackadder
    Brass Eye/The Day Today
    A Bit Of Fry & Laurie
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_%28TV_series%29 is tremendous however maybe not one to watch with the missus if she is squeamish. Mads Mikkelsen's portrayal of Lecter is incredible.

Currently watching the new series of Ray Donovan and some new series (the 100?) which has some of the worst acting I've seen since I was forced to watch Hollyoaks with the missus donkeys years ago.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross