favourite boxsets

Comments

• mitb
    mitb Posts: 78
    Absolute favourite is Monk, the most beautiful balance of pathos and comedy I ever saw. Arguably getting a little played out after 7 series but still enjoyable and takes nothing from the older episodes. Must also salute Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased), very funny, and so cool to look at, The Professionals is just brilliant and I was completely obsessed with Buffy. We have all the Buffy boxed set on vhs, had to build an extension to accommodate them, but they were so expensive we could never justify replacing them on dvd! Don’t actually have a video any more so a little bit pointless...still cracking tv.

Must also mention My So Called Life, it’s flawed alright (especially if you’re not keen on American teenagers who say ‘like’ a lot) but takes me right back to being that age, feeling that way in 1995. Plus I had a massive thing about Claire Danes. And still do.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    mitb wrote:
    A I had a massive thing about Claire Danes. And still do.

Then you really should watch Homeland.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    see what you mean

clair-danes-reading-2.jpg
  • mitb
    I've only seen clips of Homeland, but she's still got it. Will have to get the set at some point.

Same not very good reason for watching The Hour, which was actually really good but if Romola Garai was reading the phone book for 8 hours it would still be unmissable...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Someone get that lass a pie!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    edited January 2012
    davis wrote:
    +1 (cake)
    Sadly enough, then thought "wonder what her body fat percentage is - must be 10-15%!"

Homeland, in addition to being a great show, has Morena Baccarin.

Edited due to sloppy typing.
  • clarkey cat
    finished season 3 of Sons of Anarchy last night.

Bonkers.
  • davis
    DrLex wrote:
    davis wrote:
    +1 (cake)
    Sadly enough, then thought "wonder what her body fat percentage is - must be 10-15%!"

I think you and I might be of similar tastes :-)
  • mitb
    That's a fairly extreme photo, not a fan of super-skinny either but she's cute as a button so it's all good.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DrLex wrote:

AMEN
  • clarkey cat
    finished S.3 of Breaking Bad today... goodness me that show is top notch.
  • Sopranos - recently finished :(
    Sharpe
    Band Of Brothers
    The Pacific
    Game of Thrones

Just about to start Boardwalk Empire
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    andyparker wrote:
    Game of Thrones

Halfway through the first book. I imagine that the series is quite, erm, saucy?
  • davis
    Gussio wrote:
    andyparker wrote:
    Game of Thrones

Halfway through the first book. I imagine that the series is quite, erm, saucy?

Erm, yes. Boobs aplenty.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    The Wire
    Band of Brothers
    Sopranos
    Lost
    FCN 2 to 8
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    I'm not really a box set fan, but I have Sons of Anarchy 1-3 on DVD (I just found out series 4 is on 5USA at the moment) and am chewing over whether to buy Burn Notice, as they weigh in at about £15 a set. I hear so many good things about other shows (The Wire, Mad Men), but if I don't get into a show at the start I find it difficult to catch up. Plus, it gets complicated when a show (Burn Botice for example) is being shown on two different channels ie FX and 5USA, one is showing S3 and the other S4 and they both say it's the new series!
    Looking forward to the restart of The Walking Dead on the 17th though!
  • mitb wrote:
    A I had a massive thing about Claire Danes. And still do.

Then you really should watch Homeland.

And Stardust.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • And just arrived on my desk this morning is "Life on Mars", series 1 & 2. Completely missed this on the telly, but got hooked by "Ashes to Ashes", so thought I ought to watch the original.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    And just arrived on my desk this morning is "Life on Mars", series 1 & 2. Completely missed this on the telly, but got hooked by "Ashes to Ashes", so thought I ought to watch the original.
    There is a scene in that, can't remember which point, that my parents phone number is clearly visible on a piece of paper the lass is trying to phone. Being the 1980's it's an '01' number. They got no end of phone calls that night and had to take the phone off the hook. When they rang the BBC they were told it would be removed from repeats and DVD's. I wonder if they did. If they get a phone call from a chap from north of the Border I'll know they didn't.
    2 of my childhood friends saw it and told ne they'd seen the number on telly as well.
    Edited for stupidity: All complete nonsense, it was Ashes to Ashes their number was in. Should have read the post properly.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Just finished watching Burn Notice. Good series, but it should have ended at season 5. I'll watch some of seaon 6 (if there is one) but they are now looking for ways to extend the story rather than wrapping up the loose ends.
    Someone should tell the writers that you can have too much of a good thing.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Just finished watching Burn Notice. Good series, but it should have ended at season 5. I'll watch some of seaon 6 (if there is one) but they are now looking for ways to extend the story rather than wrapping up the loose ends.
    Someone should tell the writers that you can have too much of a good thing.
    oh man, really? I found the main guy in that such an insufferable douche that I couldn't get past the third episode. :S
  • clarkey cat
    I'm struggling to get into season 1 of Dexter... its okay but a bit silly. I don't get really get the point of it. Anyhow, its a good looking and moderately entertaining show so I'll see out season 1 but not go any further.

Watching season 3 of the Wire again at the moment. I LOVE the Avon & Stringer storyline. Probably my favourite across the whole 5 seasons.

Finished season 3 of Sons of Anarchy recently and it seemed to end tied up quite nicely but apparently there are 2 more seasons out there... its too exhausting and violent. Think I'll quit while ahead.

Season 3 of Breaking Bad had me and the missus sqealing and hollering with delight. Poor Jesse...
  • I'm struggling to get into season 1 of Dexter... its okay but a bit silly. I don't get really get the point of it. Anyhow, its a good looking and moderately entertaining show so I'll see out season 1 but not go any further.

I made the mistake of reading the book first, and the character of Dexter in the series was so far removed from what I'd imagined that I couldn't watch more than one episode. Really quite annoyed me in the series.
  • clarkey cat
    its just a bit cartoonish. no real character analysis. and the 'mentoring' sessions from his foster-Dad are crap
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Dexter has some good moments, but usually provided by the supporting characters/guest "villains". Happily watch a Debra Morgan spin-off, in preference to the anodyne acting skills of the eponymous lead character.
    Oh - worth watching season 2 for Jaime Murray.

Still can't decide whether Homeland or Breaking Bad has been the best drama series in the last 12 months.
  • veronese68
    I think it was season 3 or 4 of Dexter had John Lithgow in it. He makes a really good mass murderer. Watched it on FX, wouldn't pay money for a set.
  • clarkey cat
    is Homeland coming on to normal telly soon?

Can't decide what boxset to get next.

looking at either: Justified or The Shield. The Shield should see me good until next Autumn so tempted by that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    is Homeland coming on to normal telly soon?
    I believe I saw a trailer for it somewhere recently. (on UK TV)
  • veronese68
    There was something about Homeland in one of the Sunday papers. Described it as the new 24. I think it said it was starting on C4 this month.
  • clarkey cat
    I should have been more specific:

Please tell me when and on what channel, Homeland will be showing.