favourite boxsets

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    just go straight into season 4 of BB. It is frikkin awesome.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699

We was gunna liek but decided having gone through the first three since Xmas we should back off a little... need to spread out the awesome.

We tried the Sopranos which I've seen before but the missus didn't really get into it. Sometimes I wonder why I married her.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • clarkey cat
    Yea my missus didnt like The Wire. She'd just fall asleep. I've had my regrets about the marriage too - mainly stemming from this.
  • MrSweary
    Tbh the fact that mine loved The Wire was just about the only thing that saved her. Otherwise she'd be out on her arse.

She still thinks the West Wing is better so obviously marriage counselling is on the horizon if we stay together but tbh I'll probably keep her around until we've finished Breaking Bad then review my options.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • clarkey cat
    Fortunately mine liked Sopranos.

Perhaps a temporary wife-swap is in order while we re-watch The Wire and Sopranos respectively....?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

Don't listen to him. Start from the beginning. The evolution of walt is one of the best things about the show.
  • clarkey cat
    NSB, he has seen up to the end of s.3. He was going to hold out on starting s.4 until watching Boardwalk Empire.

Naughty naughty not reading threads properly.
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    dhope wrote:
    The Wire
    Sopranos
    West Wing
    Generation Kill
    Band of Brothers
    24 (first few seasons, then it gets silly)
    Homeland (season 1 just finished)
    The Shield
    Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    Dexter (gets a bit tired after a few seasons but still good)
    Deadwood
    Battlestar
    Rome
    Forbrydelsen (The Killing, Danish)
    Game of Thrones
    John Adams

Oh dear, for someone that doesn't watch TV I've seen an awful lot.
    Also seen the usual Lost, Heroes, House etc which are pretty disposable but entertaining

I can't bring myself to care about Boardwalk; characters don't have any depth for me, unlike The Wire, Sopranos, West Wing, Mad Men. And every time they show someone miserable or dying juxtaposed with 1920's music to reinforce the "and this is the American dream is it?" theme it makes me squirm. We got it, it's not subtle anymore. Sorry, I got lost on the way to the rants thread :D

Deadwood now there was a series!
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • Battlestar. Though got a bit over-political halfway through but worth persevering with. Nice to see Richard Hatch making an appearance.

Game of Thrones.

Not a big fan of box sets otherwise....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • notsoblue
    NSB, he has seen up to the end of s.3. He was going to hold out on starting s.4 until watching Boardwalk Empire.

Naughty naughty not reading threads properly.
    Anyone could have read your post, even someone entirely new to the series. It was damage limitation. What if someone had taken it out of context?!
  • clarkey cat
    you're right... in the wrong hands my post could have been... catastrophic.
  • MrSweary
    Perhaps a temporary wife-swap is in order while we re-watch The Wire and Sopranos respectively....?

I hope you have deep pockets...
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Battlestar. Though got a bit over-political halfway through but worth persevering with. Nice to see Richard Hatch making an appearance.

Game of Thrones.

Not a big fan of box sets otherwise....

I am awaiting with great anticipation season 3! Not too long to go now!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • notsoblue
    Koncordski wrote:
    Season 2 can be slow going, there's lots of character development which isn't to everyone's taste but you can't have a full on gore fest every episode, it would be ruinously expensive.
    My problem with Season two wasn't that there was character development, it was that the character development was incredibly dull. Plus they fell into the trap every zombie/horror b-movie does which is to have people just wander off on their own for no reason and have the inevitable happen to them.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The only boxed sets I've watched are:

Sex and the City series 7
    Boondocks series 1, 2 and 3
    Robotech - The Macros Saga (85 episodes over 3 series)
    Afro Samurai
    Guyver: Bio-boosted armor

I enjoyed them all. Boondocks is my absolute favourite, I loved series 1 and 2 so much that I bought series 3 as a DVD from the US and a multi-region DVD player to watch it specifically.

Robotech series 1 gets a special mention. Absolutely brilliant. I need to get my hands on Dragon Ball Z.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Afro Samurai

I'm never quite sure if you're joking or not!
    exercise.png
  • DonDaddyD
    100% serious.

Sex and the City was a x-mas present to Ms DDD, we ended up watching the series together as our 'thing' when the baby is asleep.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    TheStone wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Afro Samurai

I'm never quite sure if you're joking or not!
    Generally this means he's not
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sex and the City was a x-mas present to Ms DDD, we ended up watching the series together as our 'thing' when the baby is asleep.

do you actually own any balls?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Ms DDD keeps them on the mantlepiece. :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • clarkey cat
    Finished season 1 of The Killing (Danish version) last night. Very good but jeez it went on and on. 20 episodes. I really feel like I've pigged out on Boxsets for a while.
  • DonDaddyD
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Ms DDD keeps them on the mantlepiece. :lol:

To be fair my list included Boondocks: 1 , 2 and 3.
    I love Boondocks so much - and they won't show it in the UK for obvious reasons - that I bought the Region 1 version and then a DVD to play it on (soon after my son was born as a present to myself actually).

Afro samurai
    Robotech
    Guyver - I can't be bothered to find a link.

I do also watch Vampire Diaries, True Blood and Rome. All of which, including the above, Ms DDD cannot stand.
    Food Chain number = 4

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    How on earth do you people find time to watch boxsets?
  • DonDaddyD
    vermin wrote:
    The hour between 12.59am and 1.00am when the heating is off, the house is cold, the lights are and everyone is asleep.
    Food Chain number = 4

• clarkey cat
    vermin wrote:

easy. when others are watching Eastenders or Corrie, you watch an hour of a boxset instead.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Clean shaven, reportedly :lol:
  • vermin
    vermin wrote:

easy. when others are watching Eastenders or Corrie, you watch an hour of a boxset instead.

I see. But how do I know when others are watching Eastenders or Corrie? Radio Times?
  • clarkey cat
    well, it doesnt have to be Eastenders or Corrie. It can be any leisure time. Like fannying around on BR.
  • vermin
    well, it doesnt have to be Eastenders or Corrie. It can be any leisure time. Like fannying around on BR.

Oh no, that's work time. It wouldn't do to be watching Vampire Chicks From Mars S3E16 in the office.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Finished season 1 of The Killing (Danish version) last night. Very good but jeez it went on and on. 20 episodes. I really feel like I've pigged out on Boxsets for a while.

Would you recommend it? Currently back-tracking to S1 of Borgen having enjoyed S2, but will need to queue up another series.