favourite boxsets

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Just ordered Dexter s.1 off Amazon as at a bit of a loss with TV-watching at the moment.

I'm going to rank my favourite boxsets.

1. Sopranos (far superior to all other television IMO)
2. Breaking Bad (only seen s.1&2)
3. Mad Men
4. The Wire
5. Sons of Anarchy (only seen s.1&2)

thats all I've seen.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    The killing.
  • Band of Brothers is highly regarded. I sometimes pop on an old episode of Cold Feet.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • clarkey cat
    Ah yes, Band of Brothers. Yes that is excellent.

RC - I want to watch it but its £24 at Amazon. I just get the £10 deals!
  • rick_chasey
    Ah yes, Band of Brothers. Yes that is excellent.

RC - I want to watch it but its £24 at Amazon. I just get the £10 deals!

Should have asked for it for Christmas :P

Best thing I've watched save for the Wire.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The West Wing
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    Best thing I've watched save for the Wire

You not seen Sopranos then?
  • rick_chasey
    Best thing I've watched save for the Wire

You not seen Sopranos then?

I have...?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Sopranos
    The Wire
    West Wing
    Band of Brothers
    Generation Kill
    House
    Spooks
    Battlestar Galactica (the new series)
  • clarkey cat
    you think the Wire is better than Sopranos?

I thought Sopranos was far superior. In fact I'm watching the Wire again at the moment as the missus missed it when I watched it last time. It is really good. Just had the episode when Avon gets out of jail and Stringer lays on the pad with the honeyz in it. Season 3.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Heroes (tho goes downhill after S1)
    BSG
    Peep Show
    Inbetweeners
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited January 2012
    The Might Boosh (1 was the best, 2 was pretty good an 3 was just weird, still good though)

Family guy (not the early ones)

The Inbetweeners

Rising Damp

Band Of Brothers

Pacific
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Gussio
    Found Pacific to be a bit of a let down. Couldn't warm to the characters in the same way that I could with Band of Brothers.
  • mudcow007
    thats true, a lot of it was about them "getting it on" with girls when they are on leave an stuff

but there is still a lot of action an horrible scenes
  • Gussio
    There were some *very* horrible scenes!
  • mudcow007
    the bit where they are using the young jap's skull as a candle holder was pretty gross
  • rick_chasey
    you think the Wire is better than Sopranos?

I thought Sopranos was far superior. In fact I'm watching the Wire again at the moment as the missus missed it when I watched it last time. It is really good. Just had the episode when Avon gets out of jail and Stringer lays on the pad with the honeyz in it. Season 3.

Yeah.

I never fully engaged with the Sopranos.

Maybe I'm too young.
  • Gussio
    Yeah.

I never fully engaged with the Sopranos.

Maybe I'm too young.

fuggedaboutit
  • clarkey cat
    when I remember the episode when Tony phones Adriana and tells her that Christopher has tried to kill himself and Sil goes to pick her up...

That's probably the best piece of television I've ever seen. It brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Boardwalk Empire, the first season should be out on DVD soon. Brilliant, and I think HBO has extended what they did with The Sopranos on that one.

You can't really compare The Wire to The Sopranos, they're both about the American Dream, they just approach it from different angles.
  • For me it's either Twin Peaks or the A-Team (Good old Santa bought it for Number 1 Son). :mrgreen:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Just for info - I saw Band of Brothers in Asda last night for 15 quid. That would be money well spent.

The only other set I have is 24 but I got bored in series 2. May start again given that TV is so shoite these days.

Never missed an episode of the Sopranos.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Boardwalk Empire (Season 2 is a blinder)
    Game of Thrones
    Dexter (up to season 4, rest is meh)
    The Wire
    Supernatural (unashamed guilty pleasure)
    American Horror Story
    The Shield
    24 (final season rocked)
    Breaking Bad

And

Sons of Anarchy - my favourite show at the moment.

I have no life :)
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    notsoblue wrote:
    You can't really compare The Wire to The Sopranos, they're both about the American Dream, they just approach it from different angles.

I loved The Wire and I loved The Sopranos but I can watch any random episode of the Sopranos and it will hook me in almost instantly. There are some flaws in the storytelling and perhaps it was getting a bit too clever for its own good towards the end but the strength of even the minor characters is such that it was always, for me, utterly compelling. Even episodes in which next to nothing happened were immensely enjoyable. The Wire had some great characters too but was more about the story and when I've happened across an episode by chance I've never watched it (unless I know there's a great bit coming up).
  • clarkey cat
    That was the idea of the Sopranos... each episode was like its own independent film noir and the 'soap opera' element of a driving plotline was secondary to making each episode quality.

Like the episode with the russian in the woods. It has nothing to do with the 'storyline'. Just a quality hour of TV.

Or when Tony goes college-visiting and spots an informant...

Brilliant.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Mixing it up a bit, some more (or less) obscure stuff (not all of which is easy to get hold of):

I, Claudius - high quality soap opera with some great acting and a great story
    Cops - now forgoten BBC show from the late 90s ; a very gritty version of the Bill; rediscovered my old VHS boxset and it was great; not sure how widely available it is
    Gangsters - a 70s series that I picked up cheaply on DVD; set in a seething, ethically diverse Birmingham it has the feel of Get Carter - cheap and sleazy but hard as nails
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Only 2 for me:

1. Soprano's (best series ever on telly)
    2. The Wire (second best series on telly ever)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I like Breaking Bad (All seasons to date), Dexter (All), 24 (Only Season 1 and 2 so far), and The Big Bang Theory (All)

However favourite box sets have to be the Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Box sets which I got from Mrs Sketchley for my 40th.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Paulie W wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I loved The Wire and I loved The Sopranos but I can watch any random episode of the Sopranos and it will hook me in almost instantly. There are some flaws in the storytelling and perhaps it was getting a bit too clever for its own good towards the end but the strength of even the minor characters is such that it was always, for me, utterly compelling. Even episodes in which next to nothing happened were immensely enjoyable. The Wire had some great characters too but was more about the story and when I've happened across an episode by chance I've never watched it (unless I know there's a great bit coming up).

The Wire was all about huge season spanning story arcs. Best consumed in multi-episode binges. Having said that though, the dialogue still has me coming back for the occasional episode. Its Shakespearean... (nsfw)
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    The Big Bang theory for some light relief.
    Lie to Me for something a bit different and interesting
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Shield

Best. Programme. Ever.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX