Doesn't help the Tri-athlete cause

Comments

• dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    cougie wrote:
    Is that about 6 powerbars ? I've never taken on that many calories - maybe thats where i'm going wrong.

I have seen people just pressing the bars or flapjack whatever onto the flat base bar. Mmm appetising.

I climbed in Alaska in the late eighties with some guys from the USA and that was my first and only taste of powerbars as they didn't (to my knowledge) exist in the UK at that point. I tried one and I can tell you in -50 celsius it's like eating frozen cardboard but I suspect that despite the protestations of flavour on the wrappers that even in ambient temperatures it's not substantially a very different taste to the one I experienced

The same guys did however have peanut brittle with some serious chillis baked in it and that was worth the time and effort (they were from New Mexico and chilli seemed to be part of almost every meal from what I could gather)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    :roll:

BmZr5dEIEAAQgBn.jpg:large

Oh look they've made their bike into a dinosaur.

baby-cartoon-dinosaur-06.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ^Dont tell Frenchie - its an Albertosaurus

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life ... aurus.html

:)
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905

Spending thousands on an aero frameset, then doing that with it is pure genius.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Especially with that stem stack!
  • DiscoBoy
    nic_77 wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Especially with that stem stack!

That's forgiveable though. Comfortable is fast, especially if it's an ironman.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The powerbars create an area of turbulent air over the top tube. Or something like that.

There's probably about £15 quids worth of powerbar there. I just don't get insulation tape on frames, I've seen it with gels too. Animals I tell you, animals!
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Saw some bloke with about 4 gels taped up like this recently, first time I've seen it in real life. Particularly ridiculous as it was on an Audax with a max of 75km between stops.
  • Paul 8v
    If you aren't an idiot you can just get a gel out of your jersey pocket. Or if you like long socks and Lycra tank tops, your Bento bag...
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    dsoutar wrote:
    [I can tell you in -50 celsius it's like eating frozen cardboard but I suspect that despite the protestations of flavour on the wrappers that even in ambient temperatures it's not substantially a very different taste to the one I experienced

not to mention that any ironman worth their compression socks is not going to stop to relieve themselves, but pi55 whilst riding, all over their powerbars...
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Paul 8v wrote:
    If you aren't an idiot you can just get a gel out of your jersey pocket. Or if you like long socks and Lycra tank tops, your Bento bag...
    They're usually compression calf guards not long socks (can help with calf fatigue in long races) and tri suits only have very small pockets. Big ones are a problem in the water, as are sleeves - thus the sleeveless tops. Unlike cycling triathlon doesn't really do fashion. Athletes wear whatever works. The two part shorts and tank top approach is common in long races so they can take quick toilet stops. Most use tri-suits in shorter events. It's not a fashion thing!

I think most people in this thread are just having a good natured dig which is fine but I get the feeling others actually think triathletes are idiots who don't know what they're doing and deserve to be ridiculed. It's always a danger with these sorts of topics that the dimmer participants don't get the irony. The reality is most triathletes with any experience know exactly what they're doing and why. More so than cyclists I'd say. The perceived silliness is almost universally the product of ignorance. It's like motorists thinking cyclists who don't use an urban cycle lane are assholes because they don't realise it's lethal to use them when you're riding at 35km/h.

Ever noticed that serious cyclists who switch to triathlon also tend to adopt triathlon techniques instead of sticking with what they did as cyclists? Different sport, different requirements, different rules, different priorities.... different solutions
  • Paul 8v
    I know quite a few triathletes who are decent testers, it's nice to have some mutual mickey taking going on though.

I'm aware of the benefits of tri specific clothing, but it is easy to mock though because it looks awful!

For every dodgy triathlete photo there is probably an equal number or ropey cyclist photos to counter it.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Defending the indefensible.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I did a coaching course recently that had a couple of triathletes on it, they love talking about equipment above all else. That said, the one was very good and did keep saying he always advised people to spend money on getting fitter rather than buying fancy wheels but they both enjoyed talking technology!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I've got this pump at home. Its strong.
    tumblr_n76rcs9T6k1qz6ktho1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DiscoBoy
    She could pump me any day.
  • Paul 8v
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    They're usually compression calf guards not long socks (can help with calf fatigue in long races) and tri suits only have very small pockets. Big ones are a problem in the water, as are sleeves - thus the sleeveless tops. Unlike cycling triathlon doesn't really do fashion. Athletes wear whatever works. The two part shorts and tank top approach is common in long races so they can take quick toilet stops. Most use tri-suits in shorter events. It's not a fashion thing!

I think most people in this thread are just having a good natured dig which is fine but I get the feeling others actually think triathletes are idiots who don't know what they're doing and deserve to be ridiculed. It's always a danger with these sorts of topics that the dimmer participants don't get the irony. The reality is most triathletes with any experience know exactly what they're doing and why. More so than cyclists I'd say. The perceived silliness is almost universally the product of ignorance. It's like motorists thinking cyclists who don't use an urban cycle lane are assholes because they don't realise it's lethal to use them when you're riding at 35km/h.

Ever noticed that serious cyclists who switch to triathlon also tend to adopt triathlon techniques instead of sticking with what they did as cyclists? Different sport, different requirements, different rules, different priorities.... different solutions
    I was thinking about your post the other week when I saw Quintana's hideous looooong socks
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    D O G wrote:
    Saw some bloke with about 4 gels taped up like this recently, first time I've seen it in real life. Particularly ridiculous as it was on an Audax with a max of 75km between stops.

After the first hour I need a bar or some kind of food every 20-30 mins or so, else I really struggle - so I can empathise.

All those gels would destroy my guy though. Nasty last resort stuff.
  • Paul 8v
    I find on really long rides a soreen loaf works a treat, it's a real b!tch to tape to the top tube though...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've got this pump at home. Its strong.
    tumblr_n76rcs9T6k1qz6ktho1_500.jpg

She doesn't look like she's got enough "meat" on her to get a tire much over 60 PSI. No matter how good the pump.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    I've been doing Olympic Distance triathlons for nearly 4 years and often wonder why cyclists get so defensive. Triathletes don't scoff at a cyclists inability to swim fast over long distances or get straight off their bike after 90 or 180k and run either a half or full marathon.... so what's your excuse?

I would also point out that amongst other beautiful women triathletes, I have been fortunate to meet two literally stunning ladies both of whom stopped me in my tracks. :oops: Don't recall seeing the same calibre of cyclist I must admit.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bo Duke wrote:
    I've been doing Olympic Distance triathlons for nearly 4 years and often wonder why cyclists get so defensive. Triathletes don't scoff at a cyclists inability to swim fast over long distances or get straight off their bike after 90 or 180k and run either a half or full marathon.... so what's your excuse?

I would also point out that amongst other beautiful women triathletes, I have been fortunate to meet two literally stunning ladies both of whom stopped me in my tracks. :oops: Don't recall seeing the same calibre of cyclist I must admit.

My only two experiences with riding with triathletes has gone like this:

- turns up to club run boasting about iron man / average speeds and moans when they're told not to use tri bars in the group
    - spends majority of the run leaving gaps in the group before accelerating into them, overshoooting and therefore overlapping, before squeezing the brakes.
    - takes a turn on the front and immediately goes so quick he ends up on his own
    - crashes into the verge/normal t-junction

So that might be why. But I imagine that's just my bad luck, and it's a small sample size.

But basically my view is they're often very strong cyclists but usually with poor handling. Makes sense - they're usually fitter and train harder than most guys at the club but haven't been riding for all that long.
  • ai_1
    Bo Duke wrote:

My only two experiences with riding with triathletes has gone like this:

- turns up to club run boasting about iron man / average speeds and moans when they're told not to use tri bars in the group
    - spends majority of the run leaving gaps in the group before accelerating into them, overshoooting and therefore overlapping, before squeezing the brakes.
    - takes a turn on the front and immediately goes so quick he ends up on his own
    - crashes into the verge/normal t-junction

So that might be why. But I imagine that's just my bad luck, and it's a small sample size.

But basically my view is they're often very strong cyclists but usually with poor handling. Makes sense - they're usually fitter and train harder than most guys at the club but haven't been riding for all that long.
    How do you know these were your only 2 experiences riding with triathletes? You've probably ridden with plenty other triathletes but didn't realise it because they were competent cyclists. Triathletes won't usually wear tri gear when they're riding their road bike and not combining it with a swim or run. They'll just wear normal cycling gear. As for the two you mentioned. If they turned up for a group ride with tri bars then clearly they have little or no group riding experience. Any beginner to group riding with fitness from cycling or other sports is likely to make the pacing and positioning mistakes you mention on their first time out. It's not a triathlete thing.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Ai_1 wrote:
    How do you know these were your only 2 experiences riding with triathletes?

The same way you always know there's a triathlete around, they've told you.
  • ai_1
    tetm wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

I presume you already know where the glaring flaw in this logic is! :wink:

The only triathletes you're aware of are the ones who've told you they're triathletes so you think all triathletes tell you..... :roll:

If someone is riding a bike you know they're a cyclist and if they mention what rides they've done or plan to do it's just considered normal conversation. If someone is running you know they're a runner and the same applies, you don't consider it odd that they might tell you they do the occasional 5k or 10k race. Same for swimming or any other sport. However a triathlete does one sport at a time, usually, so it's not immediately obvious that they combine it with others in competition, however if they tell some cyclists about the events they might do it's a big deal for some reason. I regularly talk with other cyclists about the cycling holiday I just took or the sportive I plan to do next month. We all do and why wouldn't we. Why can't triathletes do the same without being ridiculed for it. The problem here is not the triathletes, or at least not the majority of triathletes. It's you assigning different rules to different groups to suit your own prejudices.

The tribalist nonsense that runs rampant in cycling is pretty sad and childish and it reflects badly on the sport. I hate to generalise but you really don't see runners doing it. While it gets dismissed as just a bit of fun, I don't think that's it really. I think there's far too much tradition, pride, preciousness and insecurity in sections of the road-cycling community. It makes for a less inclusive and less pleasant environment for everyone.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Why swim when you can sail,
    why run when you can ride ...

that's all ...

;)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Ai_1 wrote:
    tetm wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

I presume you already know where the glaring flaw in this logic is! :wink:

The only triathletes you're aware of are the ones who've told you they're triathletes ....

Do you have any idea how utterly boring it is to listen to triathletes ramble on and on and on about swim splits, bike splits, run splits, ironman qualifiers, placings in age groups, etc.
    And then there is always the licence plate holder with it's "swim-bike-run" logo. Makes these guys sound 10 years old. I have nothing against bragging, IF you can do, it but find that most triathletes are simply, what you might call, pack fill and nothing more yet they won't shut up about their accomplishments, if any.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    OnYourRight - the other thing is that cycling in the UK (and I mean no offence but people are going to take some) is full of and run by the nerdy kids at school who were never picked for any of the teams. There are many stories on here of people from other sports either turning up at a race/club or taking their kids to same and being obviousy shunned by the people there becasue they don't fit the look.

Triathletes (and I reserve the right to wind up my triathlete friends about this) tend not to have quite so many issues and also be just as good as the cyclists - which is somewhat irksome when youre whole value systems is based on arcane nonsense rules and suffering
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • It doesn’t look cool, and it doesn’t act cool. It has other merits, but coolness isn’t one of them.

That makes it vulnerable to mockery.

In some parts of London that would make it VERY cool!
  • It doesn’t look cool, and it doesn’t act cool. It has other merits, but coolness isn’t one of them.

That makes it vulnerable to mockery.

In some parts of London that would make it VERY cool!