Doesn't help the Tri-athlete cause

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    ddraver wrote:
    I think the problem is then that all the runners would ***** and moan about it. It suits us because we are cyclists, but actually then all you have is a bike race in silly clothes rather than a foot race wheras the spirit of Triathlon is combining 3 individual sports into 1 race.

The drafting law needs to be reversed is all, that's where the problem is.

A bike race in silly clothes would be better though, then just can the swim and run and the sport would be ready to roll.

Seriously though the run being non drafting would at least mean they had to decide whether to work together on the bike, solo on their own etc - it'd be extremely tactical because you'd have the classic collective action problem for the athletes but it'd be much better to watch and it wouldn't negate the run as much as the current format negates the bike. Getting rid of drafting would make it a puree sport but dull as ditchwater - I mean who enjoys watching a time trial?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Puree should be pure !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've been cycling for 30 years plus. Triathloning for 9 or so - and my bar tape is unscuffed.

Its true there are some crap bike handlers in tri, but there are in cycling too - we all have to start somewhere.

Tri is great for getting people out and competing. I've seen people of all ages and sizes taking on the Ironman challenge - its much more inclusive than bike racing.

the blokes with the helmets on backwards have clearly just gone through transition too quickly and put them on backwards - its understandable with the adrenaline. At my first tri I put on my trainers before realising it was the bike next !

Olympic tri is always a draft fest at pro level - but its never going to be anything else - the suggestion to end on the bike would be an interesting one - but just think of the chaos with triathlete bunch sprints ! Eeek !
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ddraver wrote:
    I think the problem is then that all the runners would ***** and moan about it. It suits us because we are cyclists, but actually then all you have is a bike race in silly clothes rather than a foot race wheras the spirit of Triathlon is combining 3 individual sports into 1 race.

The drafting law needs to be reversed is all, that's where the problem is.

A bike race in silly clothes would be better though, then just can the swim and run and the sport would be ready to roll.

Seriously though the run being non drafting would at least mean they had to decide whether to work together on the bike, solo on their own etc - it'd be extremely tactical because you'd have the classic collective action problem for the athletes but it'd be much better to watch and it wouldn't negate the run as much as the current format negates the bike. Getting rid of drafting would make it a puree sport but dull as ditchwater - I mean who enjoys watching a time trial?

Yeah, well i don't watch either mate ;) It's a classic keep the sport pure or change it so it gets more money...even though it's not the same sport any more dilemma.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ^ooooh....reaches for the list of triantelopes who've tested positive including Virginia Berasategui....

:wink:
    and wasn't there a former triathlete who subsequently did well with chemical assistance in some minor French cycle race ?
  • Wasn't Pooley a triathlete turned cyclist I've lots of time for her great climber/hilly TT'er and team rider.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Wasn't Pooley a triathlete turned cyclist I've lots of time for her great climber/hilly TT'er and team rider.
    She was. Richie Porte's another one.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Wasn't Pooley a triathlete turned cyclist I've lots of time for her great climber/hilly TT'er and team rider.
    She was. Richie Porte's another one.

Think Will Clarke's another ex-triathlete. Nathan Earle too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The cows don't approve:

kitzbuhel_triathlon1.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Someone should post that video of He Who Shall Not Be Named losing a tri cos he was too busy showboating down the finishing straight, and the guy behind shot past him at the finish.

Possibly my fave tri finish. Ever.
  • Someone should post that video of He Who Shall Not Be Named losing a tri cos he was too busy showboating down the finishing straight, and the guy behind shot past him at the finish.

Possibly, but the most poignant one is the one post retirement when he completely blanks his daughter as he crosses the line. I guess it was a matter of priorities for him on the day!
    @JaunePeril

• cougie wrote:
    I've been cycling for 30 years plus. Triathloning for 9 or so - and my bar tape is unscuffed.

Its true there are some crap bike handlers in tri, but there are in cycling too - we all have to start somewhere.

Tri is great for getting people out and competing. I've seen people of all ages and sizes taking on the Ironman challenge - its much more inclusive than bike racing.

the blokes with the helmets on backwards have clearly just gone through transition too quickly and put them on backwards - its understandable with the adrenaline. At my first tri I put on my trainers before realising it was the bike next !

Olympic tri is always a draft fest at pro level - but its never going to be anything else - the suggestion to end on the bike would be an interesting one - but just think of the chaos with triathlete bunch sprints ! Eeek !
    Stop speaking such sense on a tri-bashing forum!

I didnt think it was for the win? I thought it was for 5th or 6th place when I heard about it.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Someone should post that video of He Who Shall Not Be Named losing a tri cos he was too busy showboating down the finishing straight, and the guy behind shot past him at the finish.

Possibly, but the most poignant one is the one post retirement when he completely blanks his daughter as he crosses the line. I guess it was a matter of priorities for him on the day!

One and the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJo_aN4Eg2M
  • ddraver
    r0bh wrote:
    Someone should post that video of He Who Shall Not Be Named losing a tri cos he was too busy showboating down the finishing straight, and the guy behind shot past him at the finish.

Ha ha ha ha haaaa

loser!
    - @ddraver
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    ddraver wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Ha ha ha ha haaaa

loser!

in all fairness, they cross the line in 6th and 7th place...
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

She still is; she won the swissman extreme triathlon and came 5th at ironman Switzerland this year. All without drafting :wink:
  • Wasn't Pooley a triathlete turned cyclist I've lots of time for her great climber/hilly TT'er and team rider.

She still is; she won the swissman extreme triathlon and came 5th at ironman Switzerland this year. All without drafting :wink:

Now that's quality. If I ever win the Euro millions I'm going to set up a women's road race team and either get her to ride in it or certainly be part of the set up in some way.
    @JaunePeril

• RichN95 wrote:
    The cows don't approve:

kitzbuhel_triathlon1.jpg

It's true they don't.

I should confess to being the niece of a former veteran IM champion. If we are going to extrapolate about all triathletes from the characters of a few... They are all mad. Completely blooming bonkers. And the cows would agree. No really they would, my uncle has cows and they're and everything else in his life is always getting into trouble, its like an episode of Wile E Coyote.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Triathlete20Steve.jpg

There is no end to the level of awesome in this photo.

Yeow!!!! My eyes, my eyes.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited December 2013
    Two questions to never ask triathletes???

How are you doing?
    What have you been up to?

Even simple hi or hello will get you more boring info than you ever care to hear.
    Numbers will start coming out of their mouths at a rate that no mortal man can comprehend.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    The suggestion of putting the bike leg last wouldn't work too well. There's too much advantage to get from not drafting, but getting shelter when overtaking weaker cyclists. As a reformed triathlete who is a rubbish swimmer I know all about the benefits of this.

As for transition mistakes..... the worst I did was set off out of T2 for the run with my helmet still on. Soon realised and took it off though.
  • ok. this thread calls out for THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTEgLKhjIw
  • ddraver
    :lol::lol:
    - @ddraver
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    ok. this thread calls out for THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTEgLKhjIw

Some good tips there. Thanks for posting.
  • article-2211124-15496F6C000005DC-664_634x776.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Arrrgghhhh

God Frenchie you need to warn us first!!!!

;)
    - @ddraver
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    A bit of history; the first few triathlons occurred in various orders, however, when John & Judy Collins came up with the idea of incorporating the Waikiki rough water swim, the round Oahu bike ride and the Honolulu marathon they decided on the current order as it was important that the bike leg should be completed in daylight. Pretty much every tri' since has followed this lead.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    article-2211124-15496F6C000005DC-664_634x776.jpg

That live strong sticker on his side :lol:
    Red bikes are the fastest.