Doesn't help the Tri-athlete cause

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    We have the technology to make frames like this. Are cyclists luddites?

This design is more 'authentic' than mocking the classic tubed profile with carbon planks.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    That Falco bike looks a bit overly "stylised" like it's trying to be as sci-fi as possible - I'd question the aero/structural benefits of some of those angles but the basic format is legitimate.
    The bikes used for road riding are heavily constrained by the very prescriptive UCI regs. This seatpost-less format makes a lot of sense especially in terms of aerodynamics and comfort - you'd probably see similar designs in the TdF if it was allowed.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    It looks hideous, like some oversized plastic superhero toy, I'd rather lose than win on something like that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ai_1
    It looks hideous, like some oversized plastic superhero toy, I'd rather lose than win on something like that.
    ...because it's appearances that matter
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Ai_1 wrote:

Hell yes. Ask Frenchie, appearance is everything. Its no good winning if you don't look right. :D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    edited January 2014
    Can't help wonder where bike design would be today if there were no constraints, bit like F1 really.

110-1.jpg

Note the Mavic electronic gears long before Di2
  • ai_1
    mike6 wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:

Hell yes. Ask Frenchie, appearance is everything. Its no good winning if you don't look right. :D
    See I think triathletes usually care first and foremost about performance and aren't too bothered how they look. Maybe this is the root of the animosity?
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Can't help wonder where bike design would be today if there were no constraints...

Like this?
    Graeme-Obree-Machine.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Can't help wonder where bike design would be today if there were no constraints...

Like this?
    Graeme-Obree-Machine.jpg
    I'd love to have a go in one of those things, possibly would die though after the first Essex pothole! :mrgreen:
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    That ^ reminds me of this: :D
    Burqa%2Bcar.jpg
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Ai_1 wrote:

Er, abso-bloody-lutely.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    2013_09_Falco_V_Bike_First_Look_11.jpg

:shock:

That's a straight derivative of the Zipp 3001 from 20 years ago! It was ugly then and it's ugly now. I remember being at a triathlon one weekend in 1994 and some guy arrived with two of the Zipps on the racks of his car, all Dura Ace drivetrain, the lot. Saw him out on a training tide later and had to laugh. The frame was too small, and he was having serious trouble keeping the thing in a straight line with just a faint cross-breeze. He was slow, too. Can't imagine how much of a hazard he'd have been in the race - there was a downhill section which was dead straight, quite steep and long enough that even on my old steel roadie you could tuck in and hit more than 50 mph just coasting.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ai_1
    2013_09_Falco_V_Bike_First_Look_11.jpg

:shock:

That's a straight derivative of the Zipp 3001 from 20 years ago! It was ugly then and it's ugly now. I remember being at a triathlon one weekend in 1994 and some guy arrived with two of the Zipps on the racks of his car, all Dura Ace drivetrain, the lot. Saw him out on a training tide later and had to laugh. The frame was too small, and he was having serious trouble keeping the thing in a straight line with just a faint cross-breeze. He was slow, too. Can't imagine how much of a hazard he'd have been in the race - there was a downhill section which was dead straight, quite steep and long enough that even on my old steel roadie you could tuck in and hit more than 50 mph just coasting.
    That's the perpetual danger of having expensive or unusual gear. You need to be able to use it well or you come off looking like a plonker. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the gear though!
  • Paul 8v
    I reckon those Zipp 3001's are probably worth a bit of money now.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Can't help wonder where bike design would be today if there were no constraints
    We'd have HPV racing. Road racing as we know it would no longer exist. Obree's beastie shown earlier above is not far off but given more resource you end up with much nicer stuff like this:

1379418487341-1c1kpx1p181ha-670-80.jpg

That one has managed to get up to 83mph. :shock:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    In fairness to the UCI, I think they've got the regs about right.

But then again, if I had my way, the pros would all be on steel frames, with shorts having to be black, socks having to be white and helmets opitonal :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ai_1
    edited January 2014
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    In fairness to the UCI, I think they've got the regs about right.

But then again, if I had my way, the pros would all be on steel frames, with shorts having to be black, socks having to be white and helmets opitonal :lol:
    Yeah, when I said road bike design was constrained by UCI regs it wasn't necessarily a criticism. There have to be regulations so that it's an athletic competition not an equipment competition. The UCI regs being very prescriptive is ideal for keeping the playing field flat (except for what seem to me like silly saddle rules) but they're not ideal for stimulating bike innovation which would be beneficial for the general public.

Edit:
    Just for the sake of dicussion: If the regs were laid down earlier in the history of bike development the pro tour could still be riding penny farthings. In my opinion there should always be room for innovation.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    ...the pros would all be on steel frames...

What, like this?

viks-steel-tube-urban-bicycle-designboom03.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Daz555 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Can't help wonder where bike design would be today if there were no constraints
    We'd have HPV racing. Road racing as we know it would no longer exist. Obree's beastie shown earlier above is not far off but given more resource you end up with much nicer stuff like this:

1379418487341-1c1kpx1p181ha-670-80.jpg

That one has managed to get up to 83mph. :shock:
    OK, if they were allowed to go as far as possible with a traditional upright position, I.e. they carried on the development of the monocoque, took away the aero rules and weight but still had a traditional upright bike? Could have been very interesting, especially with TT bikes
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Paul 8v wrote:

Like this?
    Graeme-Obree-Machine.jpg

This just looks like someone's forgotten to take the bike out of the box after flying ?
  • cougie wrote:
    This just looks like someone's forgotten to take the bike out of the box after flying ?

:D
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Do you think the duck tape is critical to the design?
  • Yes, the access hatch would fly off otherwise. :D
  • You'd definitely need radios if you were to race as teams in/on/with these.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    You'd definitely need radios if you were to race as teams in/on/with these.

They join together like transformers so no need for radios.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    :roll:

BmZr5dEIEAAQgBn.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    :roll:

BmZr5dEIEAAQgBn.jpg:large

Christ alive that's a lot of Powerbars! Some people stick them to their bikes like that the night before, leaving them open to fester overnight. As if they're not revolting to eat at the best of times. And available for free at the regular feed stations on the course....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is that about 6 powerbars ? I've never taken on that many calories - maybe thats where i'm going wrong.

I have seen people just pressing the bars or flapjack whatever onto the flat base bar. Mmm appetising.
  • ai_1
    cougie wrote:
    Is that about 6 powerbars ? I've never taken on that many calories - maybe thats where i'm going wrong....
    Well if this is for an ironman distance race then chances are the rider intends to cover ~180km without stopping for food along the way and will be running a marathon straight after so it doesn't seem like overkill to me!