Doesn't help the Tri-athlete cause

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    feltkuota wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Wow, these pictures have confirmed my thoughts about triathletes :)

Scared to ask but, what are those thoughts?
    That some, (Not all) aren't the brightest bulbs in the box :mrgreen: Everyone knows about the bike handling skills thing, I've seen it first hand, some lad on the chain gang rode in to a hedge, I instantly thought triathlete, turns out he was!

You can spot em a mile off, silly tank tops and always with the scuffed bar tape :mrgreen:
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    The Brownlee bros and Javier Gomez are pretty awesome athletes
    Their times in isolation are incredible... let alone when the three disciplines are combined together.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I've signed up to do a half-ironman in August. Sensibly though, I'm doing it as a relay with two others so I don't have to bother with the splashing about and jogging.

Then it's fair to say you're doing a bike ride and not a half-ironman. All the best though.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Sorry, you did ask...

I did indeed. Was going to get all up in your keyboard about it but honestly speaking some stereotypes will never change...

I'm a bit worried that I'm mellowing...
  • feltkuota wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I've signed up to do a half-ironman in August. Sensibly though, I'm doing it as a relay with two others so I don't have to bother with the splashing about and jogging.

Then it's fair to say you're doing a bike ride and not a half-ironman. All the best though.

Is there drafting allowed in an Ironman? I imagine there can be a fair distance between them but at that Gomez/Brownlee level it's killing the sport. It should still be a TT element. when they had that one on telly from London a couple of month's ago there were so many wheel suckers not sharing the work it was ridiculous
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • feltkuota wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Is there drafting allowed in an Ironman? I imagine there can be a fair distance between them but at that Gomez/Brownlee level it's killing the sport. It should still be a TT element. when they had that one on telly from London a couple of month's ago there were so many wheel suckers not sharing the work it was ridiculous

Nope. Drafting is only allowed for pro's in the Olympic distance. Everything else is non drafting.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Me mate says she did a draft legal one and she's just a normo...

Mind you that was probably in Belgium...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    feltkuota wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Sorry, you did ask...

I did indeed. Was going to get all up in your keyboard about it but honestly speaking some stereotypes will never change...

I see it more akin to taking the pi$$ out of a sibling, I'm sure Triathletes do the same to cyclists :mrgreen:
  • Cycling fans and cyclists on the Twatters during the Olympic Mens Tri last year was quite the study for psychologists
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    feltkuota wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Sorry, you did ask...

I see it more akin to taking the pi$$ out of a sibling, I'm sure Triathletes do the same to cyclists :mrgreen:

Nah, they're too obsessed in their own OCD culture. Besides cyclists are all juiced up! :wink:
  • ^ooooh....reaches for the list of triantelopes who've tested positive including Virginia Berasategui....

:wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    nic_77 wrote:
    Now, now people...

How do you know when you are talking to an Ironman?
    He's telling you all about it.

Nothing and I mean nothing could be more true. The bragging and boasting that these people do is beyond words.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    I've done an Ironman, two in fact.

Sorry, just living up to the stereotype :wink:
  • ^ooooh....reaches for the list of triantelopes who've tested positive including Virginia Berasategui....

Jeez, can't we just play nice for a while?
  • feltkuota wrote:
    ^ooooh....reaches for the list of triantelopes who've tested positive including Virginia Berasategui....

Jeez, can't we just play nice for a while?

I was being cheeky - honest!
  • feltkuota wrote:
    feltkuota wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Nope. Drafting is only allowed for pro's in the Olympic distance. Everything else is non drafting.

You agree that drafting in triathlon is cr@p though, right?
    @JaunePeril

• nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    It should never be necessary :wink:
  • feltkuota wrote:
    feltkuota wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

No arguements from me. With drafting allowed it basically just turns into a foot race.
  • feltkuota wrote:
    feltkuota wrote:
    feltkuota wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

No arguements from me. With drafting allowed it basically just turns into a foot race.

It's sad that this sport is fatally flawed at the highest level. Kudos to the every day Joe's that do the amateur none drafting ones though....hopefully they'll move on to proper TT's and chippers in due course :wink:
    @JaunePeril

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    ddraver wrote:
    I dont see why they cant just chamge it round while riding no hands. And it must take 1 sec to change it round in the transition if they pick it up back to front. I dont think there is any excuse!

Because the second they take it off - 2 min penalty (and you know what Triathletes are like with times. If you offered them a penalty or a punch in the face they'd happily ride the rest of the route with an ice pack)

Second point - same reason. Becasue they re charging around like blue arrised flies. plus, as soon as they remove the bike form the rack they can't take the helmet off.

I am a triathlete (sorry) one of my good friends is top triathlon official in UK. We've discussed this point before and no non pro triathlete would get a penalty if they were still in transition, not on their bike and corrected this error.

If they correct this whilst on the course they again would not get a penalty of they stopped and got off their bike.

Pro triathletes on the other hand would probably get DQ'd for being a fud.
  • Highest level of the sport is IM though and not the Olympic distances. IM is non drafting and there are some top quality athletes involved. Can't really see what can be done with the pro Olympic events really because spectators want a spectacle and seeing tt's don't do it for the general Jo public. I think that is why they evolved the way they have. The top guys in the Olympic distance would still be at the top of non drafting events and I suspect the gaps would probably be greater. Hope that doesn't sound like I'm arguing with you because I'm not.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    feltkuota wrote:
    Highest level of the sport is IM though and not the Olympic distances.
    Is it really? I'm surprised. ITU always seemed more high profile to me, even before the Brownlees came along
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    M Dots Iron Man World Championship at Kona is triathlon equivalent of Tour de France. Everyone wants to get there. All other M dot races are effectively qualifiers and sell out in hours - even though they cost £400 a pop.

Imagine the uproar if Etape du Tour was £400.

However imagine the intense competition if the top 6 in each age group then got to ride the full TdF in th e peleton the following year
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    The obvious solution for drafting triathlon is put the bike last. It doesn't make it a straight out time trial as the purists may want but it would mean it wasn't just a foot race and the it would be a spectacle whereas as it is the swim and bike are dull as ditchwater. For some reason most triathletes seem to be dead against changing the order though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • The obvious solution for drafting triathlon is put the bike last. It doesn't make it a straight out time trial as the purists may want but it would mean it wasn't just a foot race and the it would be a spectacle whereas as it is the swim and bike are dull as ditchwater. For some reason most triathletes seem to be dead against changing the order though.

I've heard this mooted before. Have any organisers ever experimented with this idea?
    @JaunePeril

• ddraver
    I think the problem is then that all the runners would bitch and moan about it. It suits us because we are cyclists, but actually then all you have is a bike race in silly clothes rather than a foot race wheras the spirit of Triathlon is combining 3 individual sports into 1 race.

The drafting law needs to be reversed is all, that's where the problem is.
    - @ddraver
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Triathlete20Steve.jpg

There is no end to the level of awesome in this photo.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    The obvious solution for drafting triathlon is put the bike last. It doesn't make it a straight out time trial as the purists may want but it would mean it wasn't just a foot race and the it would be a spectacle whereas as it is the swim and bike are dull as ditchwater. For some reason most triathletes seem to be dead against changing the order though.

I cannot see National Federations supporting that, nor a change to the drafting rule, as the nature of the sport was established a decade ago. Get in the lead swim group, sit in on the bike and save your legs for the run. Consequently recruitment and development programmes have focused on swimmer- runners at the expense of swimmer-bikers and biker-runners. Not sure about the current regime but a few years ago you could get on the British Tri Olympic Programme without ever having ridden a bike, because only swim and run were part of the entry test.
  • ddraver
    FYI Felt - that's why cyclists have a minor niggle with Triathletes...
    - @ddraver