Spring Fling 2012 **Friday Update**

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Hmmm. I think this ride may have outgrown itself!

Feed stop at Longnor.

I'd be prepared for there being nowhere near enough food/drink to go round as I have no idea how many people are turning up. We normally get 15-20 as its done as a ride for forum members and thats what I'd planned for. Worried that there's going to be more like 50 now!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    My mates are all through Cyclestore, so may already be in your estimate;-)

PP
  • Ax
    Ax Posts: 36
    All my mates will be outside a pub drinking and smoking as per usual so don't worry too much about numbers - I'll be on my own!
    2005 Dawes Galaxy
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Focus Variado Expert
  • napoleond
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    My mates are all through Cyclestore, so may already be in your estimate;-)

PP

Roger!! Heh heh!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Hmmm. I think this ride may have outgrown itself!

Feed stop at Longnor.

I'd be prepared for there being nowhere near enough food/drink to go round as I have no idea how many people are turning up. We normally get 15-20 as its done as a ride for forum members and thats what I'd planned for. Worried that there's going to be more like 50 now!

Since I already plan to be one of the last to reach said feed stop I will intend to be pretty self sufficient. I would expect most folks will be, so anything extra will be a bonus, no worries.
  • napoleond
    Don't worry! Been told there's freaking loads of food! Including home made sausage rolls...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Absolutely gutted I am missing this ride tomorrow, have loved the last couple of rides
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Another 30 minutes and I'll be heading out the door. Must remember to put the bike on the car first :oops:
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    C'mon then, how was it?

Or did you all end up squished/arrested and that's why there's no news?
  • napoleond
    Only 3 turned up and it poured down the whole lousy route.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    Just kidding! It were grand.

Many thanks to www.cyclestore.co.uk for the accelerade drinks/gels/bars at the start.

www.Polocini.com pulled a blinder with the feed station! I just wish I'd picked a better spot for it. Riding up Crowdecote hairpins full of cake and stuff wasn't my smartest move!

90c43c82.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Well done for organising it Nap.

I've had 4 months off sport so couldn't make it. I did a 5 mile run yesterday as the comeback start and am as stiff as a board today. Shows just how much I've lost. Need a couple of months of base fitness before a decent paced ride now.

How's your injuries / fitness coming along?
    Peter
  • napoleond
    Slowly! Been back on the bike 4 weeks and it showed today! Im trying to just get some miles in to get my body used to riding again as my back/core is very weak.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I can imagine that. It'll come back faster and faster though, once your over the initial training.

Exactly what I'm going to do.

Some people do a bit of base work but then add tempo in too early, pointless if you don't have the base aerobic to work with first.

Herman Maier (best all round skier in the world until a car T boned him on his motorbike a couple of years ago leaving a terrible leg injury) started his come back training with 3 months of 3 to 5 hours a day on a turbo trainer to achieve the base fitness.
    It's essential.

Glad you all had a great day.
    Cheers
    Peter
    Peter
  • Gizmodo
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Just kidding! It were grand.
    Many thanks to http://www.cyclestore.co.uk for the accelerade drinks/gels/bars at the start.

http://www.Polocini.com pulled a blinder with the feed station! I just wish I'd picked a better spot for it. Riding up Crowdecote hairpins full of cake and stuff wasn't my smartest move!
    Your right NapD, it were grand - boy I'm knackered! Thank you for organising it.

I dropped my glasses and had to go back for them which split the pack, Polocini and I got to try and keep the wheel of a World Champ whilst we tried to catch the peloton - unfortunately we did 5 miles in the wrong direction and had to turn round and come back :oops:

Thanks to everyone for waiting for me and not getting too pi55ed off with me for being slow on them there hills - 5 cat 4 climbs in 1 ride FFS! :shock:

Thank you especially to Mrs Polocini for a great feed station :D

I ended up going a slightly easier route for the last bit as I was reaching my limit, thank you to Dave for showing me the way down to the meeting point from the Cat and Fiddle.

Here's my Strava ride data if you're interested in the route we took (although I recommend you don't do the obvious detour) http://app.strava.com/activities/5380039

My first group ride and my first 50 miler! Well knackered but well happy.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Nice one Nap! Very enjoyable....avoiding the Mother in Law for a number of hours...... :P

PP
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    WTF!? I posted all my comments and they have been deleted. :evil:
  • Routier
    Routier Posts: 94
    I enjoyed that, it was a nice ride. Thanks for organising it Nap and thanks to the guys who provided the food and drink :mrgreen:
  • Gizmodo
    Same again Sept 10th? I promise to get fitter (either that or buy a motorbike) :D
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Grand day out folks. Big thanks to Nap for the route and the organising, not forgetting the suppliers of the much apprecated cake and drink.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Same again Sept 10th? I promise to get fitter (either that or buy a motorbike) :D

Sept. 10 is a Monday. Sept. 9 - the Sunday might be good (but not for me - I'll still be in London for the Paralympics!)

But I'll be busy for most weekends in Sept. Hopefully you guys can work out a date that suits you all.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Brilliant day!! Really enjoyed it and the company. But I especially enjoyed the Sausage Rolls. mmmm...

I compared riding time with Colin when we got back and was very pleased to have done the route in 30 minutes less than him... However, a quick check on distance and he had done an extra ten miles!! Well played.

So thanks again to NapD for organising it, Pokerface for chaperoning us round and the Polocini's for the best spread in sportive history.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Great work by all involved. Nice one. Really enjoyed the ride.

Probably a bad idea carrying that milk the whole time, but it gave me a decent workout. Had no idea that people would be going out of the way to provide some awesome treats.

SRM Data here > http://a537.netii.net/BB18032012.srm

Had the idea of doing it as easy as possible, but I must admit that the A54 and A537 descents got me all fired up. They get me every time.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    Sounds like you had a great time. I promise I will make it next year! Or the autumn one if there is one.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • napoleond
    Wow! The return of Bhima to bikeradar :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    oh man i've gotta get sorted and do one of these - and bhima too, its sounds like a cracking ride -
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Cheers to all involved today. Had a great ride, had to make a sharp exit at the feed stop due to getting back to take the wife and kids out for mothers day, although I picked the hilliest route back and got caught in a sharp hail shower which left me with red dimples! :( miles in the legs as they say.
  • Great ride guys, good extra training for my LEJOG trip in the summer. First time out with you all apart from Alex, Colin & John. Hope to do more with you all.

Thanks for the feed station refuel

Gordon
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Looks like a good day had by all - will be booking my leave at work so I can join you all on the next one!!!!
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I'd like to say a huge thank you to NapD for organising the ride. The route was excellent and so was the company.

All of the thanks regarding the feed station have to go to my Mrs as it was all down to her!! Top bird!

AL