Spring Fling 2012 **Friday Update**

Comments

• I haven`t been out on the road at all this year so far.I`ve only been on the turbo.Will I be ok on this ride?.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I haven't a clue! If you have been spinning a light gear for half an hour or so, no. If you've been doing some decent interval sessions and long rides then yes...
    My second ride out on the road this year was doing this route. Bearing in mind I'm recovering from a serious accident, I was just doing interval work on the turbo. I'm VERY slow, but fine.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Recovery from OP and having no winter bike has prevented me getting out on the road.
    I have been doing an hour on the turbo 4-5 times a week.I`m hoping to get out this week some time to test my legs.
    All being well I hope to be turn up.
  • napoleond
    I don't have a winter bike... I just have a bike. You should have seen the state of me and it yesterday after the Policini winter sprinter!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I'm unfit after only a week's training after 4 months off, but am still coming. I managed the Polocini 60 miles yesterday so another month should see me loads fitter.

See you all there. :D
  • Well done Paul and Nap on yesterdays ride.It snowed a little here yesterday how was it on the ride?.
  • napoleond
    Freezing, muddy, wet and muddy. It was muddy too. And very cold and wet.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I`m going to enter the rivington100 (Policini) When they release the details are you up for it Nap?
  • Wirral_paul
    NapoleonD wrote:

You forgot to say it was wet.......and windy...........and wet and muddy :?

Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.
  • NapoleonD wrote:

You forgot to say it was wet.......and windy...........and wet and muddy :?

Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

Now Paul where did i read that earlier in the week? :lol:
  • Wirral_paul

Now Paul where did i read that earlier in the week? :lol:

Here ya go - the full "rules"

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I was thinking about rule #9 as I walked out to the garage yesterday morning, got out my bike and....
    proceeded to spend my time giving it a little bit of maintenance. :oops:

There was no way I was going out yesterday morning, so lots of respect to those who did. It looked horrible, what with the wind and the sleet and everything.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Routier
    Routier Posts: 94
    I love the way that people are getting in their excuses already :P
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    alanp23 wrote:
    I was thinking about rule #9 as I walked out to the garage yesterday morning, got out my bike and....
    proceeded to spend my time giving it a little bit of maintenance. :oops:

There was no way I was going out yesterday morning, so lots of respect to those who did. It looked horrible, what with the wind and the sleet and everything.

After the interval session I did yesterday morning in the garage I wish I had gone out in the wind & rain instead! Still, pain and gain & all that.
  • Wirral_paul
    Routier wrote:

Where? Who? :shock:
  • Routier
    Routier wrote:

Where? Who? :shock:

This stuff about a lack of riding. I'm only messing really!
  • alanp23
    Given the fact, my post was directly before, I think he was having a sideways swipe at me. :|

To be fair, I had been reading the definitive articles elsewhere on degreasing and lubing and was eager to try them out.
  • Routier
    alanp23 wrote:
    Given the fact, my post was directly before, I think he was having a sideways swipe at me. :|

It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it was meant to be a bit of banter hence the smiley.
  • Routier wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:

It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it was meant to be a bit of banter hence the smiley.

NO it was aimed at me :lol:
  • alanp23
    Routier wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:

I totally got that. Hence the straight face. Just trying to play it cool.
  • Routier
    Like I didn't know that :cough:

:wink:
  • Wirral_paul
    Routier wrote:
    alanp23 wrote:

NO it was aimed at me :lol:

Thats fair - seeing as you're clearly a slacker!! MTFU and ride when its cold / wet / windy ya big wuss :lol::lol:
  • :D:D :oops: Well erm what can i say to that.7AM started the day laughing cheers Wirral Paul or should that be Warrior Paul :lol:
  • Wirral_paul
    :D:D :oops: Well erm what can i say to that.7AM started the day laughing cheers Wirral Paul or should that be Warrior Paul :lol:

:twisted: :twisted: :lol::lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Long range forecast for next Sunday calls for 'snow showers'? :twisted:

Hopefully, as weather forecasts often do, this will change and we'll have sun (like the rest of the week) on the weekend! But if wet, I'm definitely riding, but with proper clothing this time!
  • Ax
    Ax Posts: 36
    Pokerface wrote:
    Long range forecast for next Sunday calls for 'snow showers'? :twisted:

It wouldn't be the same without snow!
    2005 Dawes Galaxy
    2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Focus Variado Expert
  • napoleond
    Due to the possibility of crap weather I have a revised possible route, combines much of what we have done before really for people who have been out with us before. The main thing being that the descents in the original route will be quite hairy in bad weather. The descents in this revised one are, to put it bluntly, ace.

Have a look (same cafe stop at Blaze farm before climbing Wildboarclough then descending the C+F) We could even miss out a cafe stop if people wish (I'd prefer that tbh), still room for tinkering...

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=362312
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Due to the possibility of crap weather I have a revised possible route, combines much of what we have done before really for people who have been out with us before. The main thing being that the descents in the original route will be quite hairy in bad weather. The descents in this revised one are, to put it bluntly, ace.

Have a look (same cafe stop at Blaze farm before climbing Wildboarclough then descending the C+F) We could even miss out a cafe stop if people wish (I'd prefer that tbh), still room for tinkering...

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=362312

well as the vicar said to the choirboy that looks like a beautiful route.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • napoleond
    Apologies, one slight tweak to give us a section of 10k descent, avoiding a gnarly bit where the road steepens then has a hairpin into junction... Sort of wrecked the flow...

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=362403
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • alanp23
    How many you got coming?