April 1st

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    blim wrote:
    "Dream scenario" finishes rarely happen (Flanders 2010 for instance: 2 national champions, the 2 best cobbled classics riders head to head until almost the top of the Muur; we're not going to be that lucky again so soon)

Absolutely. What makes a classic major is partly the list of previous winners.

It never feels like a proper race untill the big guns are slugging it out. That's why Roubaix was a disappointment last year (for me anyway).

My concern is the new route will intimidate a lot of people into riding conservatively. The possibility of someone doing a Devolder in '08 always meant the racing kicked off from quite a way into the finish.
  • blim wrote:
    It's between Cancellara and Boonen, unless Gilbert has been bluffing recently. But Spartacus will need to attack on the Paterberg or earlier if he isn't to get mugged. I hope Boonen wins.

Think he needs to attack on the Kwaremont on the 3rd lap, think it would suit him down to the ground. There is so little time to sort out a chase between the Kwaremont and the Paterberg, he could then gain a bit more time on the Paterberg, maybe enough to hold off any chasers on the flat run in.

I think to leave it to the Paterberg on the final lap would not give enough of a lead and a chasing group might catch him.
  • rick_chasey
    blim wrote:
    It's between Cancellara and Boonen, unless Gilbert has been bluffing recently. But Spartacus will need to attack on the Paterberg or earlier if he isn't to get mugged. I hope Boonen wins.

Think he needs to attack on the Kwaremont on the 3rd lap, think it would suit him down to the ground. There is so little time to sort out a chase between the Kwaremont and the Paterberg, he could then gain a bit more time on the Paterberg, maybe enough to hold off any chasers on the flat run in.

I think to leave it to the Paterberg on the final lap would not give enough of a lead and a chasing group might catch him.

D'ya not think it's just a little too hilly for that?

Canc is a big guy. He can power up one or two very quickly, but the last laps are SO up and down....
  • D'ya not think it's just a little too hilly for that?

Canc is a big guy. He can power up one or two very quickly, but the last laps are SO up and down....

Yeah, that's why I suggested the Kwaremont rather than the Paterberg. I don't remember it being particulaly steep, just long. Think it would suit him better.

But if you think the whole end phase of the new route is too hilly for him, what should he do, attack with 50km to go, build up a big lead and then hang on until the finish. Will that work again?
  • rick_chasey

Yeah, that's why I suggested the Kwaremont rather than the Paterberg. I don't remember it being particulaly steep, just long. Think it would suit him better.

But if you think the whole end phase of the new route is too hilly for him, what should he do, attack with 50km to go, build up a big lead and then hang on until the finish. Will that work again?

Hang on for dear life untill he's within striking distance - final climb.

Like he did on the Muur when he won, but then closer to the finish.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662

Weeellll.....he makes time on people on the flat really does nt he so I reckon he has got do distance himself from any climbers/sprinters at some point where he has enough energy to drill it along the "flats"*. Does it drop straight off the final climb into the finish or is it like last year, where there is a bit of "flat" before it where he could drop a climber?

*I don't think any of it is properly flat, just less cobbled and less steep.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Does it drop straight off the final climb into the finish or is it like last year, where there is a bit of "flat" before it where he could drop a climber?

It's flat from Kerkhove to Oudenaarde. Very flat!

No, wait, I'm thinking of the road from Berchem to Oudenaarde, that's not the route they take. Don't know the road from Kerkhove. :oops:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,194
    Will Geraint be riding RVV and PR this year? He's possibly in the group of outsiders who could snatch either if the favourites start watching each other.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    He'd struggle given he'll be in Australia for the track worlds.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,194
    andyp wrote:
    He'd struggle given he'll be in Australia for the track worlds.

Fair enough (hence the first few words of my previous post ;) )
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Was it the Kwaremont where Cancellara blew up the E3 last year?

is it safe to predict Boonen stretching his legs on the Taaienberg?
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • rick_chasey
    Yes and yes.

the Boonenberg to you and me ;).
  • blim wrote:
    Was it the Kwaremont where Cancellara blew up the E3 last year?

Yes!
    The Swiss rider bounced back from several tyres and a bike change before blowing the peloton apart on the Oude Kwaremont climb. He then surged away and crossed to the front of the race and then quickly left the lead group behind in the crosswinds before the final climb.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/e3-pri ... hc/results
  • blim
    edited March 2012
    :) Thanks

I. Can't. Wait.

But having both DDV and E3 this week will help.

Does anyone else get a post-Classics dip in May? I can never get as enthusiastic about the Giro as I probably should, because I've peaked in April.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • rick_chasey
    blim wrote:
    :)

I. Can't. Wait.

But having both DDV and E3 this week will help.

Does anyone else get a post-Classics dip in May? I can never get as enthusiastic about the Giro as I probably should, because I've peaked in April.

I get it after Roubaix...
  • blim
    Truth be told, so do I. I enjoy the Fleche Wallonne and Liege, but don't get excited about them.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • rick_chasey
    Seems Levefre's seen something we haven't in Gilbert.

Said for the first time in the season Gilbert looked pretty fit in MS-R and will be a force come April 1st.
  • Seems Levefre's seen something we haven't in Gilbert.

Speak for yourself!
    And from what I saw yesterday, I would pick Gilbert for Flanders...

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12814725&start=80
  • rick_chasey
    Seems Levefre's seen something we haven't in Gilbert.

Speak for yourself!
    And from what I saw yesterday, I would pick Gilbert for Flanders...

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12814725&start=80

Alright, alright! Touche ;).
  • Think I've changed my mind on Gilbert. :(
  • May be bluffing perhaps. These this last weekend were training races compared with the next couple of weeks.
  • rick_chasey
    May be bluffing perhaps. These this last weekend were training races compared with the next couple of weeks.

I think he's more or less written himself out.

Consider him a useful domesitque for Ballan and van Avermaet - with Ballan probably as #1.
  • rick_chasey
    C'mon guys.

From twitter:

@RickChasey
    Comments on form,previous 2012 Flandrian performances, age, 'remembering' it's 260km, not 200, teams, tactics, the new route, all compulsory
  • rick_chasey
    Both Chavanel and Terpstra are riding the driedaagse.
  • rick_chasey
    The mind games have started:

Cancellara puts Boonen as the 5 star favourite.

Gilbert on the other hand, has confirmed what we all knew - that he's nowhere near fit enough.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail ... =GEV3NUL8L
  • rick_chasey
    Both Chavanel and Terpstra are riding the driedaagse.

As is Sagan.
  • rick_chasey
    Boonen seems to be of the opinion that the route is so tough we won't get any swashbuckling rides at all, and that anyone who isn't intimidated by the route is foolish.

I'm beginning to think the route change might turn into a disaster.
  • I'm beginning to think the route change might turn into a disaster.

But to be fair, it doesn't really matter as it's just a warm up race for Roubaix! :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    I'm beginning to think the route change might turn into a disaster.

But to be fair, it really really matters as Roubaix is just a consolation prize at best :wink:

Couldn't agree more ;)