April 1st

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Merckx is doubting Boonen's motivation..

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/merckx- ... motivation

I'm not sure Merckx is being entirely fair there. Age is not kind to any of us, but that's not to say that Boonen should be written off. Perhaps his sprint is not what it was, but neither is Thor's and look at the season he had last year! Boonen just needs to realign his targets with his condition.

He's still a superb athlete IMHO.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    It must be great for Team Morale to have all your chances written off by a special advisor TO YOUR TEAM (!!!!!!!) before a pedal has even been turned this season - great cyclist, not such a good people person....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

I think Merckx is upset Boonen's not riding his bikes anymore...
  • Merckx is doubting Boonen's motivation..

"...although last year he won Gent-Wevelgem and then wasn’t so good in Flanders or Roubaix.”

Seems a bit harsh, he was 4th at Flanders, then had a mechanical and a crash at Roubaix.
  • rick_chasey

"...although last year he won Gent-Wevelgem and then wasn’t so good in Flanders or Roubaix.”

Seems a bit harsh, he was 4th at Flanders, then had a mechanical and a crash at Roubaix.

Chav & Cancellara were MUCH stronger though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,191
    andyp wrote:
    De Ronde Van Vlaanderen.

Put it in your diary :)

Only 122 days to go.

Tour of Flanders, that's the warm up race for Paris Rouabix, right?

:D

No, Roubaix gives riders a quick opportunity to redeem their season after failing to win the most important cobbled classic of the season. :wink:

What, Ghent-Wevelgem? :wink:
  • Pross wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    De Ronde Van Vlaanderen.

Put it in your diary :)

Only 122 days to go.

Tour of Flanders, that's the warm up race for Paris Rouabix, right?

No, Roubaix gives riders a quick opportunity to redeem their season after failing to win the most important cobbled classic of the season. :wink:

What, Ghent-Wevelgem? :wink:

OK, I'm confused now. Is the E3 Harelbeke the most important cobbled classic of the season?
  • rick_chasey
    It's a bigger deal than G-W as far as I am concerned.
  • It's a bigger deal than G-W as far as I am concerned.

Think it's a shame the moved it's date. Made for an excellent week, you could go and see Flanders, including riding the Sportive, then see Gent Wevelgem, GP Pino Cerami and then Paris Roubaix, riding a bit of pave in between! But maybe that's another thread...
  • rick_chasey
    Ah why not keep it here. Pro race is slow.

I said it last year, and I recon with the Muur it'll be the same this year. E3 is a bigger race in terms of excitement and the nature of the field.

The only thing that's stopping it is the UCI ranking.
  • The only thing that's stopping it is the UCI ranking.

And it's on a Friday. I won't be able to watch, I'll be at work! I'd put the E3 on the Sunday where GW is at the moment, move GW back to between Flanders and Roubaix and move the Scheldeprijs to the Friday where the E3 is now. Perfect, everyone's happy!
  • rick_chasey
    I dreamt I won Flanders last night.

Details on my stunning victory to follow.
  • Which team were you riding for? Sorry, that's a silly question, I think everyone on this forum knows the answer to that?

Was it like Roubaix in '96, but with Boonen, Chavanel and yourself?
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2012
    Which team were you riding for? Sorry, that's a silly question, I think everyone on this forum knows the answer to that?

Was it like Roubaix in '96, but with Boonen, Chavanel and yourself?

It wasn't clear. Y'know what dreams are like.

Went like this. Being small, I was using Flanders as training for the Ardenne races (apparently).

Lovely weather, I was more or less near the front. Suddenly we were at the Muur. Nautrally, I didn't have the power to keep up with the big guys, but managed to hang onto Cancellara's coat tails and caught up on the decent, so we were just the 2 at the bottom. We went together towards the Bosberg, I wasn't taking a turns on the front since he'd beat me in a sprint anyway. Eventually Cancellara turned around and got angry, at which point Boonen arrived, and started playing poker too. I attacked, and well, given Cancellara wouldn't tow Boonen and visa-versa, I won :)

Amazing how painless riding in your dreams can be.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

May I be the first to offer you congratulations. Good luck at Roubaix next weekend.
  • ...at which point Boonen arrived, and started playing poker too.

Yes, defo a dream!

• tell me he was actually playing poker, not just figuratively. i love dreams like that.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550

May I be the first to offer you congratulations. Good luck at Roubaix next weekend.

:lol:

Oh and late to the party, but surely Geranium would pass as a feminized Geraint? ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    What about Geronwy? I'm not sure about the spelling or even if it is a girl's name :? I am from Wales but that doesn't necessarily make me Welsh.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • rick_chasey
    Dekker rode the course today (last 150km anyway) and tweeted that it's a "halve kilmkoers", i.e. "half a climbers course".
  • Dekker rode the course today (last 150km anyway) and tweeted that it's a "halve kilmkoers", i.e. "half a climbers course".
    did it make sense in dutch? :wink:
  • So which Schleck is going to win then?
  • ... I didn't have the power to keep up with the big guys, but managed to hang onto Cancellara's coat tails and caught up on the decent...

Anything in your dream about mechanically doping on your part? Or when you say "holding onto Cancellara's coat tails..." did you mean literally?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Right, so who drew the short straw to go and get a urine test from Rick then?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Dekker rode the course today (last 150km anyway) and tweeted that it's a "halve kilmkoers", i.e. "half a climbers course".
    did it make sense in dutch? :wink:

Klimkoers* :P

You know what he means.
  • rick_chasey
    Nuyens is out of the Ronde with a hip fracture.

I know how he feels, (well, the hip fracture bit).

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/ ... ers_209039
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Looks like me and my Belgian colleague are riding some of the route the day before.....yay!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    Looks like me and my Belgian colleague are riding some of the route the day before.....yay!!

Gezellig.
  • Completely OT, but I dreamt I was playing at the Nou Camp the other day. It was 0-0 at half time, which is similar to winning De Ronde
  • rick_chasey
    Under 3 weeks to go people.