Who hit this place with the Ugly Stick?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Join me @ the Morpeth and i'll explain all

1 beer per question :lol: mmmm beerZ
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Hey Jeff/ webdevs:

I mildly prefer the new layout, but some people don't.

In the "User control panel" there's an option under "Board Preferences" that says "Board style". Presumably this allows one to change the site's CSS and therefore design/layout. Any chance of a couple of additional styles? I suspect even I'm capable of tweaking the fonts (just for DDD) and I'm a CSS idiot.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    No handbrake in my 740 just stop and it takes care of all that stuff - tiz the way it should be

I thought you got rid of the 740 in favour of a Kia? [shudder]
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    davis wrote:
    Hey Jeff/ webdevs:

I mildly prefer the new layout, but some people don't.

In the "User control panel" there's an option under "Board Preferences" that says "Board style". Presumably this allows one to change the site's CSS and therefore design/layout. Any chance of a couple of additional styles? I suspect even I'm capable of tweaking the fonts (just for DDD) and I'm a CSS idiot.
    Yes. See my previous couple of posts.

The reason behind the upgrade was because the old forum was going to fall over, as it already had done earlier this year. It couldn't handle the traffic volume - this one can. We had to use an out of the box design to minimise the disruption (it still took a week and there are still a couple of functional bugs). Doing design changes at the same time as an upgrade would have magnified the potential for error due to the way the forum is integrated into the main site.

In simpler terms, we went for 'make it work then make it pretty' (cue a form vs function, designer vs developer war)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Jeff, can I suggest you post your previous few posts in the announcement thread as well.

This thread is massive and not everyone is going to read it fully.
  • Jeff Jones
    suzyb wrote:
    Jeff, can I suggest you post your previous few posts in the announcement thread as well.

This thread is massive and not everyone is going to read it fully.
    I will, either today or tomorrow (am busy for the rest of the day)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    somethings wrong . . .

Nothings jumped off to the right yet . . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, it seems to be working!

Well done! :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    bails87 wrote:
    Yep, it seems to be working!

Well done! :D

I miss the old new site that didn't work right and had big blue boxes all over it - why did it have to change WHY????

Damn you Wiggle.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Oh FFS it's been so long since I've been able to post on here I've forgotten what I wanted to say

Am sure it was something heart-warmingly nice about LiT, and absolutely nothing designed to ignite the highly-combustible DDD

BTW - isn't Morpeth in the North?? So is the Morpeth arms oop North or am I missing something?

Sorry if I'm on RANDOM mode, am answering questions in response to a tender request...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I like the little arrows at the bottom right of each post that sends the page back to the top. Nice touch.

OK at work on firefox I get no adverts whatsoever and no boxes with witty text where the adverts should be. When the site is like that I actually really like it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373
    SecretSam wrote:
    Oh FFS it's been so long since I've been able to post on here I've forgotten what I wanted to say

Am sure it was something heart-warmingly nice about LiT, and absolutely nothing designed to ignite the highly-combustible DDD

BTW - isn't Morpeth in the North?? So is the Morpeth arms oop North or am I missing something?

Sorry if I'm on RANDOM mode, am answering questions in response to a tender request...

It's at the north end of Vauxhall Bridge, so north, but not oop. DDD seems quite chilled atm - bigger things to worry about.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    rjsterry wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

It's at the north end of Vauxhall Bridge, so north, but not oop. DDD seems quite chilled atm - bigger things to worry about.

From Wikipedia: Morpeth is the county town of Northumberland, England.

So I was right, but wrong.

DDD's asked about the 50p tax rate, red rag + bull...I simply don't have the cojones to start something so inflammatory.

What's the big thing he's worried about (have been away for a while... :roll: )

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mini-DDD?

Or ddd?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    So where's the edit button gone then? How do I add the keyword to my hastily dashed-off post that loses its meaning due to me missing a word out and therefore rendered as gibberish?

Even The Telegraph comments allow edits.

EDIT. Aah. It's there now I've gone away from that thread (and this) and come back to it. Wasn't though - the edit button isn't rendered when the post is first displayed.

Firefox 7.0.1, XP SP3.
  • SecretSam wrote:

Yay!

ETA: it's messages like these that got me to the 10,000 club...
  • Can we please have the spellchecker/red underliner in the reply boxes? My inability to type accurately at speed is being shown up.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Can we please have the spellchecker/red underliner in the reply boxes? My inability to type accurately at speed is being shown up.

Firefox add on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ictionary/
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    SecretSam wrote:
    From Wikipedia: Morpeth is the county town of Northumberland, England.

It's a nice place, I'll be there next weekend. Lived there for 20 years.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Jeff Jones
    You can now choose whether you want to open links in a new window: to enable it, go to 'User Control Panel' > 'Board Preferences' tab and it's the bottom option ('Open external links in a new window')
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    This thread seems to have quietened down a little... looks like people have just gotten used to the change and the sky wasn't falling after all :P
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    You can now choose whether you want to open links in a new window: to enable it, go to 'User Control Panel' > 'Board Preferences' tab and it's the bottom option ('Open external links in a new window')
    Cheers, Jeff. Done
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Im trying to teach myself to click the mouse wheel, feels odd. Might change the settings.
    Even better, for me, it now looks normal in ie6. I'm probably the only one left so thank you.
  • It's still pig-ugly, still makes my eyes ache, and still annoys me with the stupid little animations on the main page, but at least I've somehow managed to block the ads (rhymes with.... erm..... pad flocker?) and the links can open properly.

Oh and the private message notification thingy is good.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    JonGinge wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Cheers, Jeff. Done
    +1

Now, about those ads in the middle of the threads...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Cheers, Jeff. Done
    +1

Now, about those ads in the middle of the threads...
    Schmire schmox schmad schmocker
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Jeff Jones wrote:

Thanks Jeff, nice to know we're being listened to :)....but now the clickable smilies don't work for me...the ones over there >>>>>>> on the right of reply box

Yes I can type them in :twisted: :lol: :shock: etc, but I can't click on them and have them appear
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Jeff Jones
    I know - just noticed that myself. I've passed it onto our developer
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    :):(:o :shock: :cry: :evil: :twisted:

They work here!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Phew... at least isn't laggier than a laggy beast from the slopes of upper laggdonia now.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]