Who hit this place with the Ugly Stick?

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    DDD, if you are talking about http://www.bikeradar.com/forums, you've lost me. It looks fine (font-wise) to me.

Re: the stupid amounts of ads, the Subaru ad shows a bike on the roof of the car...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    All I would like to happen is the typeface/font on the main forum page (the one that lists the threads) and the page before that (the one that lists the forums) changed to something like Arial or something that is generally regarded by industries using English text as easy to read.
    The links are Arial. The headings are Trebuchet MS.

I think it just needs is a bit more spacing or rearranged a bit better.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Links in new tabs is my preference for this site. It's like CiB said, we talk rubbish, look out the window, then back to talking rubbish. Mind you that doesn't help me at work, tabs are something you drop to take a trip in that time zone.
    The Gregs just had me laughing out loud, my kids think I've gone completely mad.
  • snooks wrote:
    OK, now at work, using FF6.0.2 and it's still blue! But now I have all the annoying flash ads, here there and everywhere

I'm also in the I-want-a-link-to-take-me-to-a-tab camp, I set FF to do that instead of opening a window, yet apparently, I'm mistaken and that that isn't what I want to do, and the developer chappy knows my wishes better then I do....Who'd have thunk it? :roll:

Agree, I have set mine for tabs because I prefer tabs, silly me :oops:

Incidentally I mentioned on page 8 or so that the 'do you know someone else has posted since' pointless irritation is still active in Chrome. has it been fixed yet?
  • suzyb wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    All I would like to happen is the typeface/font on the main forum page (the one that lists the threads) and the page before that (the one that lists the forums) changed to something like Arial or something that is generally regarded by industries using English text as easy to read.

I wonder if simply removing the borders around each thread would make it easier on the eye - and it could match the way the individual posts hang together in the threads.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    At the office (on IE[8?]) - I can no longer log in, but I don't get the ads in the middle of the posts

At home (on Safari or Firefox) - I can log in but I do get the ads (which I agree are really annoying)

Ian
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    if you use a mouse (three button/scroll wheel) and click the link with
    that it opens the link in a new window
  • Another vote for links displaying in new windows. Makes perfect sense to me and the extensive research sounds like absolute balls.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    It's not about if opening links in new windows / tabs is preferable, it's about the user the making the choice not the developer. Personally I would want links to open in new tabs for the way I use my browser. A simple click of mouse wheel, or right click > open in new tab if fine with me. Problem is if you make this the default behaviour then a user that wants to open in the same window cannot do this. Likewise one that doesn't know how to use tabbed browsing, or doesn't realise it's a new window so looks at greyed out back button, wonders why it isn't working. Personally I find websites that try to control the way I browse, or try to keep me on their site very annoying, for example sites that when you hit the back button catch it and re-load themselves are a nightmare. I wish all website designers would stop trying to control my user experience and let me do it myself.......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Ah dammit - I thought the blue screen thing was sorted. IE8 at work and isn't there if i just view the forum, but appears when I log in. hey ho, another lunchtime distraction temporarily gone.

on the upside, no ad's. something to thank my employers for.

& will just have to rememner to right click and select the open in tab option.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Sketchley wrote:
    I wish all website designers would stop trying to control my user experience and let me do it myself.......

But web-designers are to be worshipped, for they live in their own little techie world, fuelled on caffeine and code. They communicate with each other via keyboards, they have reached a state of being where verbal communication is no longer necessary. They are gods, they rule our world.

How can you possibly believe you know what you want to do?

You only know what you want, when they have given it to you. Silly :roll:

Take this lovely blue surrounding that everyone on here loves and adores, they have kindly created for us "users". We should thank them, I for one was never aware that blue came in so many tones, and I spend a lot of time photographing the sea!

It matters not what you want, just because you come here (lots) and contribute to the amount of clicks that ad sales sell adverts on, it doesn't mean you:

a) You know what you're talking about
    b) You know what you want
    c) You're opinion about how you use this site is valid
    d) You may question the WD gods

It is quite possible what I'm saying here is a load of bull :D

(except the bit about photographing the sea a lot)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    Jeff/ Techies

You do know that if the layout was better you could fit in more ads?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Never mind the aesthetics - I'd settle for getting rid of the blue squares which mean I can't read
    the posts
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    suzyb wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

the Trebuchet MS is a stupid choice of font.

Needs changing and more spacing.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Oh come on! Make links open up in a new tab, it's like a worldwide forum standard. Why would you want to divert traffic away from the site?

I've only just realised this!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

the Trebuchet MS is a stupid choice of font.

Needs changing and more spacing.
    Trebuchet MS is a good font imho but only at larger font sizes.

Anyhoo hopefully it wont take long to iron out the bugs from the upgrade and they'll start working on a new skin. And all the complaints about this design will be moot.
  • DonDaddyD
    Ur IT aren't ya!?

All that blue sky thinking... making me feel bad for having a moan... Ur the reason Star Trek Online is dead to me... all that positive mental attitude. It's all ruined!

grumble grumble grumble
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Never mind the aesthetics - I'd settle for getting rid of the blue squares which mean I can't read
    the posts
    Should be fixed now, let us know (along with your browser, operating system, screen res, add-ons if any) if it isn't: viewtopic.php?f=40033&t=12809746&view=unread#unread

You should also be able to nest quotes to your heart's content and subscribe to per forum RSS feeds. Any other bugs, let us know.

Design changes/options and functional tweaks will be worked on next
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • DonDaddyD
    Why do you or the other 'Powers That Be' never respond to my suggestions about the blue on blue on blue on white colour scheme.

Or the Trebuchet font?

Or the links into new tabs?
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why do you or the other 'Powers That Be' never respond to my suggestions about the blue on blue on blue on white colour scheme.

Or the Trebuchet font?

No one has told you about the Friend and Foe functions then??
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Or the Trebuchet font?

No one has told you about the Friend and Foe functions then??

Did someone say something? :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    OK - so what happened - everything I mouse onto leaps to the right
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Nah, you're thinking left. It steps to the right #timewarp
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    No blue squares of doom but it is all of set by one page width. Res is 1440x900
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Or the Trebuchet font?

Because it's time consuming to individually respond to everyone who has similar questions. That time could be used more productively (fixing the IE7 bug and doing some work on the changes, for example)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Or the Trebuchet font?

Because it's time consuming to individually respond to everyone who has similar questions. That time could be used more productively (fixing the IE7 bug and doing some work on the changes, for example)

DDD is a civil servant; if someone wants something doing they hire someone to do it. Value is an alien concept.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I don't like it, I don't like it, I don't like it. BR please change it back to its old format. I've not been on here for a few weeks I come back and its like the the former residents of 'Dale farm' have moved and messed up the place. :cry:
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Nah, you're thinking left. It steps to the right #timewarp

You are a bad bad man
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • To save me reading all 15 pages, is there a way to look at Commuting posts since you last looked (like you could on the old forum)? At the mo, I have to go into each subforum and, since Commuting Chat and Commuting General seem to be randomly interchangeable for most topics, it means quite some hopping around.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DonDaddyD
    Asprilla wrote:
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Or the Trebuchet font?

DDD is a civil servant; if someone wants something doing they hire someone to do it. Value is an alien concept.
    Sigh.....
    Food Chain number = 4