Classic

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    With regard to how'd you feel if your children were - I had this chat with my mum a while back (the what if chat that is...)

Her conclusion was - she'd naturally be supportive and it wouldn't change much. She did say however, she'd feel a little sad, since ultimately, it's a less easy life if you're gay, even if things have improved a lot. You want the best opportunities for your kids and for them to live as happy a life as possible.

Yeah, I suppose you're right... There's also the thing that you're may be less likely to give them grand kids which could be a disappointment.

But seriously Rick, I know you're straight and that you've got a girlfriend etc but you are a wasted gay opportunity! You're open minded about it, you've got gay friends and you've even had a chat to your mum about "what if" you were gay! I didn't actually have the guts to tell my parents til I was nearly 30 (although it had got pretty obvious by then) and I am actually gay! You had the conversation anyway!

Hah!

I suspect it's easier to have the conversation if you know it's hypothetical....And she's Dutch....

Yeah but.... Sure you don't want to borrow my SATC box set?!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    With regard to how'd you feel if your children were - I had this chat with my mum a while back (the what if chat that is...)

Her conclusion was - she'd naturally be supportive and it wouldn't change much. She did say however, she'd feel a little sad, since ultimately, it's a less easy life if you're gay, even if things have improved a lot. You want the best opportunities for your kids and for them to live as happy a life as possible.

Yeah, I suppose you're right... There's also the thing that you're may be less likely to give them grand kids which could be a disappointment.

But seriously Rick, I know you're straight and that you've got a girlfriend etc but you are a wasted gay opportunity! You're open minded about it, you've got gay friends and you've even had a chat to your mum about "what if" you were gay! I didn't actually have the guts to tell my parents til I was nearly 30 (although it had got pretty obvious by then) and I am actually gay! You had the conversation anyway!

Hah!

I suspect it's easier to have the conversation if you know it's hypothetical....And she's Dutch....

Erm.

I have it all on my sky box already.

Girlfriend insists obviously. That I have strong opinions on the 4, let alone Burger, Aiden (who's decidedly irritating), and am a big Harry & Miranda fan is all a total coincidence.
  • Headhuunter

Hah!

Erm.

I have it all on my sky box already.

Girlfriend insists obviously. That I have strong opinions on the 4, let alone Burger, Aiden (who's decidedly irritating), and am a big Harry & Miranda fan is all a total coincidence.

My god, you're gayer than me.... Have you seen the films? What did you think?
  • rick_chasey
    SATC 1 was fine.

2 was one of the worst films I've ever seen. I didn't have much expectation, but it was truly awful > objectively.

I think SATC's format (obviously) doesn't suit being transferred to a longer full length film.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Get a room!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Calling HeadHuunter to the thread!

Here I am and I must say this was an opportunity for you to say, "there's nothing wrong with that my lad and when you're older, if you turn up at home with another boy in a tight pink tank top, toned body and plucked eyebrows, then that's fine by me..." It's the 21st century goddamit!

Having met me and from my comments on here, I would have thought you realised that I don't care if you (or anyone else) play for Manchester United, Manchester City, or like Denis Law, both.

Or in cricketing terms, I don't care if you are a bowly or a batty.
    In rugby terms, I don't care if you are a hooker, a prop, leftwing or rightwing.

But Sex In The City?! FFS, man, suck a pair!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    edited October 2011
    I like the way my admissiom that I like Glee has been totally outgayed by the pair of them! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    I like the way my admissiom that I like Glee has been totally outgayed by the pair of them!

All I shall say is this:

Glee knowledge - c*ck-block.

SATC knowledge - like a moth to a flame.
  • Headhuunter
    SATC 1 was fine.

2 was one of the worst films I've ever seen. I didn't have much expectation, but it was truly awful > objectively.

I think SATC's format (obviously) doesn't suit being transferred to a longer full length film.

Yeah 2 wasn't up to much.... Sending them to Abu DhabI? What was that all about?! Part of the charm was that it was based in NY and that it was so spontaneous.... And it's depiction of Muslims and Muslim life was so US-centric. Cringeworthy!
  • Headhuunter
    ddraver wrote:
    I like the way my admissiom that I like Glee has been totally outgayed by the pair of them!

All I shall say is this:

Glee knowledge - c*ck-block.

SATC knowledge - like a moth to a flame.

Yeah, I don't watch Glee, X Factor and all that rubbish but SATC... Don't get me started!
  • rick_chasey
    What's your opinion on the SATC films HH?
  • Headhuunter
    What's your opinion on the SATC films HH?

My comment got lost on page 2
    "Yeah 2 wasn't up to much.... Sending them to Abu DhabI? What was that all about?! Part of the charm was that it was based in NY and that it was so spontaneous.... And it's depiction of Muslims and Muslim life was so US-centric. Cringeworthy!"

I thought number 1 was better but as you say, it doesn't translate that well to the big screen, the films lack the fast moving spontaneity of the programmes themselves. The films and the later programmes also started to revolve around the clothes and product placement I thought....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    OP,

I fully expect my child to find me embarrassing at some stage and I'm going to take great
    People are generally surprised when they find out I'm gay, apparently I don't look it.
    Well then, the least you could do is wear a telltale ear ring or something.

Nah, sometimes I quite like the shock and general discomfort it causes...!

Actually, I'd be interested, how would you lot feel if your kids did turn out to be gay? I'd just be interested to know how you would respond? Would you be angry? Feel like a failure? Would anyone actually not give a jot? Why? I'd be interested in your genuine thoughts and completely understand, don't spare us the truth!

Short, truthful answer? I don't know.

Would my reaction be different if my kid were male or female? I really don't know.

If they had a liking for skinny jeans? Not under my roof.

What I do know is that in my time I've met homosexuals where being gay is literally the only thing about them. It's a sexuality not a personality trait. That's what I like about you. You're gay and that means you fancy me. But fancying me isn't the only thing you're about... :lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OP,

I fully expect my child to find me embarrassing at some stage and I'm going to take great
    People are generally surprised when they find out I'm gay, apparently I don't look it.

Actually, I'd be interested, how would you lot feel if your kids did turn out to be gay? I'd just be interested to know how you would respond? Would you be angry? Feel like a failure? Would anyone actually not give a jot? Why? I'd be interested in your genuine thoughts and completely understand, don't spare us the truth!

Short, truthful answer? I don't know.

Would my reaction be different if my kid were male or female? I really don't know.

If they had a liking for skinny jeans? Not under my roof.

What I do know is that in my time I've met homosexuals where being gay is literally the only thing about them. It's a sexuality not a personality trait. That's what I like about you. You're gay and that means you fancy me. But fancying me isn't the only thing you're about... :lol:

You chatting me up? Fancy a tour of Vauxhall sometime? I think EKE is itiching to join... :wink:

Glad to hear that you wouldn't turf your kid(s) out for being gay! I knew that you wouldn't exactly welcome it!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    A colleague of mine was telling me how he was going to get married to a girl - until she caught him in bed with her brother! I love that story - really appeals to my sense of humour. His "Bi" status was hilarious though. I'd be totally relaxed if any of my kids turned out gay.

TBH the only time I've felt uncomfortable was working with a post-op transexual (he to she). She looked hardly anything like a woman and sweated like a bloke. It messed far more with my subconscious than my conscious. Very odd (my reaction).

I threaten to embarrass my kids with my lycra - but never do. Teenagers hate that more than just about anything.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

I'm kind of expecting it. My dad is quite camp. I'm a bit camper. If it's not one of mine surely it'll be one of theirs.

Although my son did demand to watch the Barbie film on Nick Jr this weekend, for the second time :roll:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I wondered how I'd react if it were the case. I think that they're happiness is obviously the most important thing. Sorry to say but I think I would feel a bit strange about it. Not angry, uncomfortable.
    At work a while back a colleague and I were looking over at the building opposite as there were lots of lovely young ladies in and out of there. A bloke was unloading a Suzuki Vitara. I said "what self respecting bloke would drive one of them?" the chap I was with told me both of his sons owned one. I tried to extract my foot from my mouth. He told me not to worry one was the wife's car, but the other was gay. I back pedalled furiously and told him I didn't mean anything by it. He told me not to worry as he had done far worse. His son came out in the middle of an argument just after he had uttered the words "what's the matter with you? Are you gay or something?" he wasn't expecting the answer he got and was utterly mortified. He said it was a long time before his son would talk to him again. He obviously loves his son wants him to be happy more than anything else. He said it is no longer an issue but that moment took a long time to recover from.
  • Headhuunter
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I wondered how I'd react if it were the case. I think that they're happiness is obviously the most important thing. Sorry to say but I think I would feel a bit strange about it. Not angry, uncomfortable.
    At work a while back a colleague and I were looking over at the building opposite as there were lots of lovely young ladies in and out of there. A bloke was unloading a Suzuki Vitara. I said "what self respecting bloke would drive one of them?" the chap I was with told me both of his sons owned one. I tried to extract my foot from my mouth. He told me not to worry one was the wife's car, but the other was gay. I back pedalled furiously and told him I didn't mean anything by it. He told me not to worry as he had done far worse. His son came out in the middle of an argument just after he had uttered the words "what's the matter with you? Are you gay or something?" he wasn't expecting the answer he got and was utterly mortified. He said it was a long time before his son would talk to him again. He obviously loves his son wants him to be happy more than anything else. He said it is no longer an issue but that moment took a long time to recover from.

Uncomfortable is an unusual response! I perhaps get anger or disappointment but discomfort is a weird one!
  • Headhuunter
    prawny wrote:

I'm kind of expecting it. My dad is quite camp. I'm a bit camper. If it's not one of mine surely it'll be one of theirs.

Although my son did demand to watch the Barbie film on Nick Jr this weekend, for the second time :roll:

Definitely....
  • rick_chasey
    Sketchley wrote:
    Get a room!

Jealous?
  • veronese68
    Uncomfortable is the best word I could come up with. Trying to be honest with myself as well. I'm quite conservative in many ways, but I wouldn't be angry, maybe a little disappointed. It would just sit funny.
    Strange conversation with the boy after the summer holiday. He confided in me that he'd kissed a girl. I asked how it was and he said he thought it was alright but couldn't be sure as he had no point of reference. He was nearly 13, she was 14. He's doing better than I did at that age.
  • Headhuunter
    Sketchley wrote:
    Get a room!

Jealous?

We could get a triple?
  • Headhuunter
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Uncomfortable is the best word I could come up with. Trying to be honest with myself as well. I'm quite conservative in many ways, but I wouldn't be angry, maybe a little disappointed. It would just sit funny.
    Strange conversation with the boy after the summer holiday. He confided in me that he'd kissed a girl. I asked how it was and he said he thought it was alright but couldn't be sure as he had no point of reference. He was nearly 13, she was 14. He's doing better than I did at that age.

Well I'd kissed a girl and had a "girlfriend" at the age of 11, so don't count your chickens quite yet! Perhaps I peaked to early...
  • prawny
    My wife is always amazed at the number of gay friends I manage to pick up too. I think she's jealous.

I used to go to school with twins, girl and a boy both gay, bit weird that, like their sexuality got mixed up in the womb.

And as camp as I am, I can't stand SATC the OC on the other hand is mega.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • veronese68
    Minor discomfort setting in.
  • prawny
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Minor discomfort setting in.

A mate of mine was a bit of a charmer, got married had a kid, then came out. You never know...
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,374
    prawny wrote:
    My wife is always amazed at the number of gay friends I manage to pick up too. I think she's jealous.

I used to go to school with twins, girl and a boy both gay, bit weird that, like their sexuality got mixed up in the womb.

And as camp as I am, I can't stand SATC the OC on the other hand is mega.

One of my wife's friends is one of a pair of identical twins who are both gay. Never had much time for the idea that it is some sort of lifestyle choice.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

I'd probably thrash him to within an inch of his life, then send a note to the local skinheads/BNP to get over fast.

In reality, it wouldn't bother me at all. I know enough gay people for it not to be alarming or of any concern. You are either gay or straight and nothing you can ever do will change that.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,997
    Uncomfortable is an unusual response! I perhaps get anger or disappointment but discomfort is a weird one!
    I imagine that many of the anger/disapointment responses are just expressions of discomfort. Kind of like louder grunting or that screeching noise that chimps make when they are bothered about something.

In answer to your earlier question HH; I don't have kids, only cats. And if I found out I had a gay cat I'd send him on Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride, to the gay homosexual animal sanctuary.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    My Dad thought I was gay and then when my brother told him I'd popped my cherry (with a girl) he was so chuffed he took me to Matalan and bought me some new clothes.

[said in an Arthur Mullard accent]
    It's probably that pink Rapha bag fella