Classic

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited October 2011 in Commuting chat
Went on a long ride with my 13 year old son today. From Cobham to Richmond Gate an back again.

About half way back, given we had been out for over 2 hours, we stopped at the Dynasty chippy in Surbiton.

Whilst eating, he came out with the classic line...

(I was wearing Gore tights, Rapha long sleeved polo, Catlike helmet)

'Daddy, you look a bit gay'

Comments

• As I said to my daughter as I left to ride home earlier this week, ''I'll show you who wears the tights around here!''
  • That's it - the age of innocence is over. You are now an embarrassment to your kid.
    Happens to all of us. Reckon I still have another 7-8 years before my kid tells me I shouldnt be wearing baggies at my age.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Calling HeadHuunter to the thread!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I'm quite proficient at embarassing my kids. I use it as a threat now.
  • Veronese68 wrote:

One of the blokes from my Royal Mail days found the best way to get his teen daughter to be on time when picking her up from parties, was to if he had to wait go and dance with her mates for at least 10mins with his best dad dance.

She was unsurprisingly very much on time!
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

One of the blokes from my Royal Mail days found the best way to get his teen daughter to be on time when picking her up from parties, was to if he had to wait go and dance with her mates for at least 10mins with his best dad dance.

She was unsurprisingly very much on time!

Glad I wasn't drinking as I read that, would have been messy.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Funny thing was he wanted to wear my lycra shorts again today, and did wear my On-One merino zip neck.

So, it's obviously not that 'gay'.

The most worrying thing was he mentioned a 'race bike' as being a good thing for him to have, and I have no money at the moment.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,680
    Was chatting to my neighbour (relatively newbie cyclist) out in the street the other day, both just back from a ride somewhere. His 19 y/o daughter wanders out and suggests he may like to move inside and change, since one of her friends was arriving soon. Seeing him in lycra in the street was apparently more than her friends should suffer.

"Wait till he starts shaving his legs," I suggested.

Oh I wish I'd had a camera for the look on her face.. :lol:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    When my sister was about 15 she was the most easily embarrassed person in the world. My Dad would embarrass her, unlike me he is a man of few words and not embarrassing. She is now married to a man who is without doubt the most embarrassing man ever to walk this earth. How things change.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Calling HeadHuunter to the thread!

Here I am and I must say this was an opportunity for you to say, "there's nothing wrong with that my lad and when you're older, if you turn up at home with another boy in a tight pink tank top, toned body and plucked eyebrows, then that's fine by me..." It's the 21st century goddamit!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Joelsim wrote:
    Funny thing was he wanted to wear my lycra shorts again today, and did wear my On-One merino zip neck.

So, it's obviously not that 'gay'.

The most worrying thing was he mentioned a 'race bike' as being a good thing for him to have, and I have no money at the moment.

Or perhaps he's trying to tell you something... I struggled long and hard to tell parents, family, friends etc etc... People are generally surprised when they find out I'm gay, apparently I don't look it. No one has ever guessed, so I always have to tell them and it doesn't always slot right into conversation with the weather and what you did last weekend...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    it doesn't always slot right into conversation with the weather and what you did last weekend...

Not necessarily...

:wink:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,997
    People are generally surprised when they find out I'm gay, apparently I don't look it.
    Well then, the least you could do is wear a telltale ear ring or something.
  • Headhuunter
    it doesn't always slot right into conversation with the weather and what you did last weekend...

Not necessarily...

:wink:

That's WHO you did last weekend....
  • rick_chasey

"I just went to the most AMAAZING Kylie gig. Better than her last 4".

:P
  • Headhuunter
    People are generally surprised when they find out I'm gay, apparently I don't look it.

Nah, sometimes I quite like the shock and general discomfort it causes...!

Actually, I'd be interested, how would you lot feel if your kids did turn out to be gay? I'd just be interested to know how you would respond? Would you be angry? Feel like a failure? Would anyone actually not give a jot? Why? I'd be interested in your genuine thoughts and completely understand, don't spare us the truth!
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    edited October 2011
    There's something not quite right here with the original post. If you're accurate in your quoting of your son then............

"WTF is a 13 year old doing calling you daddy?"

Dad, yes, but daddy?
  • Headhuunter

Actually the 1 thing that does give me away is that I can quote chunks of Sex and the City and have all the seasons and the films on DVD, however I'm equally at home (attempting to) fettle my bikes and usually have bike oil under my finger nails...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683

Nah, sometimes I quite like the shock and general discomfort it causes...!

Actually, I'd be interested, how would you lot feel if your kids did turn out to be gay? I'd just be interested to know how you would respond? Would you be angry? Feel like a failure? Would anyone actually not give a jot? Why? I'd be interested in your genuine thoughts and completely understand, don't spare us the truth!

I ve not found a woman blind enough to have kids with yet but one of my friends came out last weekend (which was timely for this thread). I don't mind at all, I confess that my first feeling was more akin to "Damn, no chance there then!" (freind is a she), then when she showed me a pic of her new missus, my thoughts moved into the realms of unprintability :wink:

I don't care if she's gay or not, I'm happy for her that she has come to terms with it and flattered that she trusts me enough to tell me. But then I think I'm quite open. I lodged with a gay guy and his sister last year and had no problems with him and his bf getting smoochy and cuddley in the lounge - I admit that having to listen to the other lodger, also gay, having sex was uncomfortable but then I don't much like listening to straight couples doing that either. I ve also worked behind bars in gay nights and had a few work do's (trouble with working in a theatre) at gay clubs. It opened my eyes to other peoples more hidden feelings though when they asked "how can you live with him" I was surprised at the undercurrent of homophobia there still is

Now I find myself feeling insulted for the gay community for the horrible stereotype that Kurt from Glee is! Good God seriously?!?! It has also stopped me using "gay" as an insult/derrogatory term, which I realsised I was actually oing quite alot with out thinking about it!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I don't have kids. But why all the pressure to say what you are and "come out"? How many heterosexual kids feel the need to tell there parents they like the opposite sex? At the end of the day you are who you are telling people does not change that and neither does keeping it secret. If you want to tell someone do, if you don't that's fine also, but don't fell like you have to tell people or have to keep it a secret.

If I had kids and they wanted to tell me their sexual persuasion, that would be fine, if they wanted to keep it secret that's also fine as it's their business not mine. What I would hope is that they never ever felt they had to keep something secret from me as they were concerned about my reaction and more importantly they were happy being themselves.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Headhuunter
    Sketchley wrote:
    I don't have kids. But why all the pressure to say what you are and "come out"? How many heterosexual kids feel the need to tell there parents they like the opposite sex? At the end of the day you are who you are telling people does not change that and neither does keeping it secret. If you want to tell someone do, if you don't that's fine also, but don't fell like you have to tell people or have to keep it a secret.

If I had kids and they wanted to tell me their sexual persuasion, that would be fine, if they wanted to keep it secret that's also fine as it's their business not mine. What I would hope is that they never ever felt they had to keep something secret from me as they were concerned about my reaction and more importantly they were happy being themselves.

Yes, but when you get to that age and your parents start to expect you to start taking an interest in girls and you don't, they start to wonder, then you get your 20s and you still haven't had a long term girlfriend, they probably know anyway, but believe me, it still feels a bit weird to just leave it unsaid....
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Anyone seen the new 'Fiat Professional' van advert yet?
    Saw it just after the rugby, it's classic!
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425

As long as my two kids are happy, I couldnt care less. Treat others as you expect to be treated in return and you dont go too far wrong.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • rick_chasey
    With regard to how'd you feel if your children were - I had this chat with my mum a while back (the what if chat that is...)

Her conclusion was - she'd naturally be supportive and it wouldn't change much. She did say however, she'd feel a little sad, since ultimately, it's a less easy life if you're gay, even if things have improved a lot. You want the best opportunities for your kids and for them to live as happy a life as possible.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    My Dad thought I was gay and then when my brother told him I'd popped my cherry (with a girl) he was so chuffed he took me to Matalan and bought me some new clothes.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

I just read that as - Better than her last 4 inch.

Quotes can be dangerous :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Sketchley wrote:

Yes, but when you get to that age and your parents start to expect you to start taking an interest in girls and you don't, they start to wonder, then you get your 20s and you still haven't had a long term girlfriend, they probably know anyway, but believe me, it still feels a bit weird to just leave it unsaid....

I'm 27 and still have nt managed that :cry:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Headhuunter
    With regard to how'd you feel if your children were - I had this chat with my mum a while back (the what if chat that is...)

Her conclusion was - she'd naturally be supportive and it wouldn't change much. She did say however, she'd feel a little sad, since ultimately, it's a less easy life if you're gay, even if things have improved a lot. You want the best opportunities for your kids and for them to live as happy a life as possible.

Yeah, I suppose you're right... There's also the thing that you're may be less likely to give them grand kids which could be a disappointment.

But seriously Rick, I know you're straight and that you've got a girlfriend etc but you are a wasted gay opportunity! You're open minded about it, you've got gay friends and you've even had a chat to your mum about "what if" you were gay! I didn't actually have the guts to tell my parents til I was nearly 30 (although it had got pretty obvious by then) and I am actually gay! You had the conversation anyway!
  • rick_chasey

Yeah, I suppose you're right... There's also the thing that you're may be less likely to give them grand kids which could be a disappointment.

But seriously Rick, I know you're straight and that you've got a girlfriend etc but you are a wasted gay opportunity! You're open minded about it, you've got gay friends and you've even had a chat to your mum about "what if" you were gay! I didn't actually have the guts to tell my parents til I was nearly 30 (although it had got pretty obvious by then) and I am actually gay! You had the conversation anyway!

Hah!

I suspect it's easier to have the conversation if you know it's hypothetical....And she's Dutch....