The big LIGHTS thread 2011-2014

Comments

• nil1121
    nil1121 Posts: 71
    there must be a couple of dozen people on this forum waiting for stuff :!: me included. cant wait to get out in the dark.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Is there any where else other than DX sell the 502b xml t6 in the 1.4 mA version ?
    manafont list the 2.8mA , Both lightmalls and kaidomain listing a 1k lm version and best offerbuy showing the 501b at 900 lm
  • souljacker wrote:
    souljacker wrote:
    I ordered a light form DX at the end of september, today i received the extension ccable for it in one small package, having looked on the website the light was shipped in two seperate packages, this lead was shipped on 6/10/2001 yet the light was supposedly shipped on 29/09/2011.

Does this look like the light is lost or will it turn up? anyone had any simlilar experiences with DX?

I reckon your light is sat next to mine; where ever that may be :roll:

Have you been waiting a while then?

Ordered on 19/9 shipped on 27/09... still waiting; the tracking site is useless as it keeps going down although its up to day and the status hasn't changed since 05/10 which has it in Guangzhou

in the meantime I've had 3 torches from LightMalls.
  • Oh dear, these long DX waits are worrying me. Placed my order a couple of days ago..... probably be light before it comes!
  • Another question, I'm going to probably go the ebay route and get a package from HK now (especially with so many people saying they have waited ages for their DX lights) but the lights have suffix's on the end like N7, N8, N5 , A1 etc etc. What does that mean? I can not find anything on it.

Also, a guy I was riding with the other day has just bout a Cree Q5 torch, one of these I think http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZOOM-7W-CREE- ... 4aafbaa90e he hasn't used it yet but he showed me it and it seemd ok (in daylight) Are they any good?
  • bamba
    If your going to order one of ebay, at least make it from a UK seller, if its being shipped from HK you'l be waiting about the same time as going direct to dx, admittedly dx do take a week or so before your order it shipped,some other firms are allegedly a bit quicker, manafont, lightmalls to name a few,If you want something cheap from the other side of the planet, it takes a while,
    Diy did mention in the old thread a few months back to order now before the dark nights draw in.
    Its a shame the dx UK warehouse ran out of stock pretty quick and seams to taking a while to restock,
    No idea about to suffix's you mention, ultrafire wf 501b or 502b with a xml led if your going down the torch route.
  • i ordered on the 10/10/11 and order is still waiting to be shipped (DX) i dont need the lights for another week or so but still dont know why it takes that long, im sure they would get more custom with faster delivery times. ive had stuff from hong kong delivered in 4days beore!
  • bamba
    I think part of the delay is that dx may not hold stock of the ordered item and may wait until they have sufficient numbers to get a bulk order from the manufacturer, again the manufacturer may cause a delay to get the required quantity , and then dx may only have shipments say once a fortnight.
    I ordered on the 28/9, was shipped on the 5/10 and arrived on the 14/10.
    Hopefully when they get the Uk warehouse back up to speed, with some revised stock levels these problems will be in the past.
  • They all look the same as this, which doesn't state if it is 501/2 just LT6?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000-CREE-T6- ... 20bbe55948
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    This is why I posted back in august that now was the time to order ;)
  • bamba
    It looks like a 502b, but there description is vague so you could get sent anything an it wouldnt be wong, think the A2 is to help them with the package identifaction,
  • just bought a Blackburn Mars 3.0 and i got to say am very impressed with it so far

i been told by people "it blinds " and "get it away from my face" :lol:

Also the light is good quality and with a lifetime guarantee its a great little light on the rear.

just in case people wondering the 4.0 is a lot worse so the 3.0 is the one to try get if you can.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • bamba wrote:
    I think part of the delay is that dx may not hold stock of the ordered item and may wait until they have sufficient numbers to get a bulk order from the manufacturer, again the manufacturer may cause a delay to get the required quantity , and then dx may only have shipments say once a fortnight.
    I ordered on the 28/9, was shipped on the 5/10 and arrived on the 14/10.
    Hopefully when they get the Uk warehouse back up to speed, with some revised stock levels these problems will be in the past.

I'm still waiting for some XML-T6 drop in's :(
    Ordered 28/9, shipped 11/10 (13 days to process order !!) and still no sign yet.
    Fingers crossed they turn up this week !!
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    edited October 2011
    Is it worth getting one of these for the bars then?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3x-CREE-2400-Lumens-XM-L-T6-LED-2x-XPE-R2-LED-Bike-Bicycle-Light-6400mAh-/300604034468?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item45fd658da4

Im looking for something fairly low maintenance-I dont want to be faffing around re-soldering joints etc-what is it like in terms of quality?

I know that it wont be 2400 lumen, Im estimating 1200-1500?

Thanks
  • bamba
    was a torch and a xml drop I ordered,must have been one of the last ones, just to point out the drop has a different sequence to the torch , both xml t6 , 1.4mA one high ,med , low sos , strobe and the other start high, med , low
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hard to say what the actual output will be, but looks a good price whatever.

I'd guess about 1500 lumens on max.
  • bamba
    Good price +1, same unit at lightmalls £ 59

http://www.lightmalls.com/trustfire-tr- ... attery-set
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    bamba wrote:

Is the one at lightmalls identical? If it is, I will get that one from ebay! It looks the same in the pics, but appears to have a different mah battery pack??
  • Ordered my lights 3 days ago and got an email today saying they are now shipped and I should expect 7-10 days. I do hope so as that will be under 2 weeks.

I shall wait and see
  • bamba
    leaflite wrote:
    bamba wrote:

Is the one at lightmalls identical? If it is, I will get that one from ebay! It looks the same in the pics, but appears to have a different mah battery pack??

looking at the battery spec, i'd say the lightmalls one is using batteries with a real Ah rating,2 pairs each of 2200mA, (4400mA )where the ebay one is using 2 pairs of over rated batteries at 3200mA's (6400mA) which will probably equate to 4400 in the real world.
    the battery pack are probably assembled with what ever the have been supplied with at the time.
  • Bamba - have you got the link for the xml drop in which doesn't have the flashing modes?
  • bamba
    ash258369 wrote:
    Bamba - have you got the link for the xml drop in which doesn't have the flashing modes?

erm ,, no the other message i wrote explaining the differance in sequence, still had the sos and strobe mode, i just didnt get that far , sorry for any confussion.there is a driver board a did see some where, cant remember where, lightmalls or kaidomain that did only have 3 modes, low,med,high but it was a 2.8 amp version.
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    bamba wrote:
    ash258369 wrote:
    Bamba - have you got the link for the xml drop in which doesn't have the flashing modes?

erm ,, no the other message i wrote explaining the differance in sequence, still had the sos and strobe mode, i just didnt get that far , sorry for any confussion.there is a driver board a did see some where, cant remember where, lightmalls or kaidomain that did only have 3 modes, low,med,high but it was a 2.8 amp version.

3 mode (high/med/low) drop in here:

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.ph ... max-p-5178

Not the cheapest but I thought it was worth it to get rid of flashy modes. Both mine have a max draw of around 2.4A depending on cells. Some reviewers claim much higher draw though.

• I went for the Ay-Up Adventure 4 lights. They are amazing. Ordered them on a Monday evening (UK time) and they arrived on the Friday of the same week. All the way from Brisbane in Oz. Two sets of lights and three batteries plus all the bits you need - even down to a few ty-wraps. How much? £276.00.http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/images/s ... n_cool.gif
  • ^^^^^^They look very nice lights but they are a very "nice" price too. Although more professional looking and most likely better made, my recent order (if quoted power is to be believed) is well over twice as bright for a quarter of the price........
  • Don't know if they've been posted about, but I just noticed these two new models of CREE XM-L-T6 torch on dealextreme:

1200 Lumen, 3 Mode, Very Light (79g)
    1200 Lumen, 3 Mode, Stainless Steel (and glow in the dark button)

They seem to use different lenses / reflectors to others... not entirely sure what's good / bad / best in the world of lenses and reflectors though. :)
  • bamba
    Psychotext wrote:
    Don't know if they've been posted about, but I just noticed these two new models of CREE XM-L-T6 torch on dealextreme:

1200 Lumen, 3 Mode, Very Light (79g)
    1200 Lumen, 3 Mode, Stainless Steel (and glow in the dark button)

They seem to use different lenses / reflectors to others... not entirely sure what's good / bad / best in the world of lenses and reflectors though. :)

No there the same as pretty much every p60 based torch, coated glass ( god know's what with) and either a smooth or textured reflector,a smooth reflector with be slightly more spot than flood compaired to a textured one or as dx call them OP , opaque
  • Thanks for the info.
  • just noticed the new thread, wondered why the old one had not been updated