2011-2012 Expectant parent (cyclists) club!

Comments

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    BigMat wrote:
    Let's not overlook the massive fall in infant / maternal mortality due to medical advances, eh?

I'm not, hence my phrase "when the time is right" :D

Now for some it might be a case that due to personal choice, a breach position, previous medical history etc that medical intervention is required, it might be for us I don't know.

I'm not saying Hypnobirthing is the only way forward and any woman who doesn't have it is too-posh-to-push. Personally I think it's more "relaxation birthing" and the hypno bit is a bit too swinging watches and walking around being a chicken for my liking, but that's it's name :?

The body is equipped with of it's own chemical tools to handle pain, and whether the developing countries (or the generations of humans thousands of years previous) have choice of additional pain relief is irrelevant, they still manage to give birth without it (and the hypno bit), so it is possible without medical intervention.

Our midwives told us they have been amazed by other mothers who they have seen who have been on the HB courses, and their intervention during the birth has been minimal, and we hope it will be for us too.

@rjsterry, didn't come across as being ranty :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • It is quite amusing reading men's comments on pain relief during childbirth (as amusing as it is me commenting on it before I have ever experienced it, admittedly :lol: )! I believe that it comes down to the fact that yes, women all over the world give birth without any pain relief at all (and many of these are in hospitals where the options are there if wanted, I might add, as well as those in the developing world etc). But how much pain and discomfort you are willing to be in as an individual if you do have the option of pain relief is another matter.

It can of course be the case that the pain is causing the woman so much distress that medical intervention is preferable to allowing the child to suffer the consequences of that stress, but also it is clear that for example when an injured footballer is removed from the field on a stretcher he is often given oxygen to help manage the pain - yes, he would survive without that help and people did for many years, but if you don't have to suffer so much pain - why should you? Especially when, for first time mothers, you have no idea how much worse it's going to get! I can tell you it's a darned scary thing to be a woman facing the prospect of childbirth for the first time with no-one able to tell you how much it will hurt, how you will cope and how to do everything for the best! :shock: I am quite a chilled out person normally, and I like to think that I will be able to make myself relax as much as possible at the time but who knows? :?

Re birth plan, mine is 'have a healthy baby as safely for that baby as possible'. What that means in practice can be a lot of things, but I am certainly not going to prescribe them when it may have to be dictated by circumstances anyway! I have heard of a lot of people becoming more distressed because things haven't gone exactly as they planned, and it seems daft to me to add extra demands and pressure into things.

Sorry if this seems a bit ranty, it just seemed like people were suggesting women should be able to cope without pain relief cos many do but that's like saying why not have all your teeth pulled out without anaesthetic on the kitchen table because that's how it was done years ago and people coped. Sounds a bit brutal to me!
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    (Snooks)

Ah to be so young and idealistic about the birth... lol. I was like that in the early to mid and early late stages. "No pain relief, what did our Mothers and Grandmothers do". All logic me. But the end-game is nearer now and I look into her eyes and think and feel thoughts I'm too scared to type. Logic be damned. Necessity and humanity kicks in.

Anyway, 8 - 9 days to go.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    When it comes to it and I have kids, I will be demanding all the pain killing drugs possible. I have no shame in admitting I have the lowest pain threshold known to mankind and even the though of pain is painful in itself. :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • DonDaddyD
    Has Cmdr Jake agreed yet?

go one Jake "Get in!!!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Has Cmdr Jake agreed yet?

go one Jake "Get in!!!"

Just planning the right time. Have to get the maths right otherwise it could be embarrassing going into labour in the middle of an engineering exam, not only that I don't want the poor begger being born in Plymouth :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    "Sometimes you can over plan or plan the possibility away... " "There's never the right time..." I'm sure you've heard these all before...

Just get on with it, it will be fun... trust me!
    Food Chain number = 4

• NGale
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    "Sometimes you can over plan or plan the possibility away... " "There's never the right time..." I'm sure you've heard these all before...

Just get on with it, it will be fun... trust me!

Not a case of not the right time. just a case of timing things right (if that makes sense)....if I got pregnant now I would be due during revision and exam time at Uni. Somehow me going into labour in the exam hall might distrupt things a bit :lol:

a couple months time and it would all be about the right time.

That said I do have to be double checked that all is fine for me as I had a couple female health issues a couple years back.
  • DonDaddyD
    Right oh, well ahem, yeah um... mmmm. OK then.

I don't know what to say. In real life I'd just mumble my way out of it...
    Food Chain number = 4

• NGale
    DonDaddyD wrote:

ahhhh see mention 'women's problem's' and men just get all embarssed :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    NGale wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Would you prefer us to look you in the eye and say: "Women problems you say? Tell me more."
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • snooks
    NGale wrote:

No embarrassment here, just older and wiser. :D

I did enquire once, and got such a graphic answer involving pus, smells and pain etc that I never made the mistake again. It's not embarrassment, it's a desire to retain my lunch.

If little snooks looked like he'd been splatted with a rat catcher's mallet :shock: I'm sure you wouldn't want to know about it either (he doesn't btw)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • DonDaddyD
    Please! "Feminine mystique" must be upheld at all times.

Tis why I'm not going down the business end and I sure hope she doesn't ask!
    Food Chain number = 4

• snooks
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You're not married yet...are you? :roll:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • DonDaddyD
    Don't see how it changes anything.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude, if at the critical moment, Ms DDD asks if you can see the head yet or something like that, I strongly advise against repeating the above. Rule #1 of being a Dad at the birth is Do What The F*** You Are Told.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Dude, if at the critical moment, Ms DDD asks if you can see the head yet or something like that, I strongly advise against repeating the above. Rule #1 of being a Dad at the birth is Do What The F*** You Are Told.

Oh I know and I will. We've discussed the birth and early on I decided that there are (loosely) two types of Dads.

The 1970s Dad who was all cigars, waiting outside only to wet the babies head a few hours later.

Or a Metrosexual hands on Dad who is gonna be there and have the baby with mother.

I'll do what's required of me to help and support. There's probably going to be a lot I won't like doing. But if she needs me, I'm Everest.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Oh I know and I will. We've discussed the birth and early on I decided that there are (loosely) two types of Dads.

The 1970s Dad who was all cigars, waiting outside only to wet the babies head a few hours later.

Or a Metrosexual hands on Dad who is gonna be there and have the baby with mother.

I'll do what's required of me to help and support. There's probably going to be a lot I won't like doing. But if she needs me, I'm Everest.

I'd also hate you to miss out on account of worrying about it being a bit icky. Without wanting to get too gushy, it's one of the most awesome* things you'll ever see.
    *In the true, non-SCR sense of the word.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    I dunno man, I just do not know.

I'll, hopefully, let you know how I get on some time between now and the next 2 weeks.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    But if she needs me, I'm Everest.

By that I do hope you don't mean advising how she might keep her entrance "smart, stylish and secure"

Seriously though I'm with rjsterry on this one.....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    But if she needs me, I'm Everest.

By that I do hope you don't mean advising how she might keep her entrance "smart, stylish and secure"

I too went with doors and windows... well you weren't expecting DDD to do that today were you!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    No you spanners.

Mount Everest.

As in I'll be her rock. I think going down the business end is a personal decision between man and woman.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Oh that's alright then. Otherwise I might have mentioned that you look at safe style uk 'cause the man on the telly says, that if you pay for the front they will do the back too for free :shock:
  • DonDaddyD
    LMAO!
    Food Chain number = 4

• jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    Argg - 10 days past EDD here

mum ringing/ texting seemingly every half hour :x

Weighing up wait and see approach vs induction....
  • DonDaddyD
    Curry, sex, pineapple, raspberry leaf tea/tablets, fresh parsley... (we're doing 3 of the 5).

Stretch and sweep? (Sounds so wrong, I don't know what it is I'm just told it's something they do).

They usually allow you to go 2 weeks overdue and then induce...
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Curry, sex, pineapple, raspberry leaf tea/tablets, fresh parsley... (we're doing 3 of the 5).

Stretch and sweep? (Sounds so wrong, I don't know what it is I'm just told it's something they do).

They usually allow you to go 2 weeks overdue and then induce...

I'm not sure here is the right place to explain what a sweep is, but I'm surprised if jfw is term +10 and they haven't already at least booked her in for induction. Take a couple of good books if you are induced (jfw, not DDD obv)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited November 2011
    Not sure you want to stick a pineapple up there mate. And if you do, I'm not sure you'd want it on your gammon after.....

Yes, 2 weeks after due date is common before any action is taken. They generally don't like to induce over the weekend though.
  • DonDaddyD
    I've actively avoided anyone trying to describe what a sweep is.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Isn't a sweep one of sooty's mates?