2011-2012 Expectant parent (cyclists) club!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    jfw wrote:
    Argg - 10 days past EDD here

mum ringing/ texting seemingly every half hour :x

Weighing up wait and see approach vs induction....

As if you would have had it and forgotten to tell them :roll:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    Got induction booked for Friday, but might ask for early next week just to give this lazy baby one last chance...
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I've actively avoided anyone trying to describe what a sweep is.

Are you really that screamish? Or it it a holy place that you don't want to think about?

How do you think the midwife determines how far dilated your partner is?
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It is a place of worship, yes.

I have sat in on an internal examination. Closest I'll get to a 3some. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snooks
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I think your church is about to get a redesign, and I'm not sure you'll be allowed in for a while :D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I think your church is about to get a redesign, and I'm not sure you'll be allowed in for a while :D

... and when you are it will be less church and more cathedral if you get my drift.

Think of all the fun you'll have in the whispering gallery :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DonDaddyD
    :mrgreen:

I feel like today is the first day of the rest of my life.

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    DonDaddyD wrote:

First day of the best days of your life, certainly.

Congrats!
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Congratulations to all 3 of you!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Congratulations!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • snooks
    Congratulations fella

Go on they tell us all about it, the baby? the birth?

Obviously when you get a chance, like, don't leave the little one wanting food cos you want o tell us what happened :)
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Excellent news. Congratulations!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Congratulations DDD - I raise my glass to you sir. Teach him well,
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Congratulations! I hope Mrs DDD and ddd are doing well.
    Future Cav or Vicki P (also known as boy or girl)?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Congratulations DDD and fam, however what's taking so long to list the important facts? :shock: :shock:

Don't leave it too long. You ain't the one who did the work :D
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Congrats DDD.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Yay!!! Congratulations!!!!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Congrats DDD!

Awaits Friday topics on colour of baby poo
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Congrats DDD

I'm assuming your post means you're now a father.....not that the lastest issue of a comic has arrived ;)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    Congratulations. Hope all went well and good luck with the next few days, weeks, years...
  • Congratulations DDD. I hope all went well and you're enjoying fatherhood.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Many congrats!

Not to you, obviously. You did sod all.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Congrats DDD, Ms DDD and ddd.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Many congrats!

Unless you know something we don't I'm assuming he at least did something...
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited November 2011
    BigMat wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Many congrats!

Unless you know something we don't I'm assuming he at least did something...

His job:
    IMG_0582.PNG

Her job:
    Aliens_09.JPG

And he didn't (I'm hoping) have someone behind him trying to blow him up from behind while he did his thing.

Comparatively he did nothing.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    Fooking rollercoaster.

OK the deatils in a breath: We have a boy, decent thighs. Born to a c-section. Mum and baby are doing fine. Dad is going through some emotional sh*t.

The DDD Details:

"Have a range of potential options be married to none."

Ms DDD has chosen the birthing pool room as water she believes will aid pain relief. She has the hypnobirth CD, you can play it in that room as well but I haven't figured how to do that yet. We have the option to be moved to a traditional delivery room and have available all the options in-between.

What type of birth you go for is a personal decision made between Mum and Dad. What type of birth you have is often dictated by the baby and circumstance.

I was absolutely right.

We wanted the 'Birth Centre'. It comes with mood lighting a pool for pain relief and an iPod dock so the soothing sounds of Moby can waft over you as you gracefully deliver a baby. Certainly no labour ward for us who are part of this 'new age hypnobirthed* parent' generation. It looked like we going to have it that way as well.

On Wednesday 23rd it begun! We timed the contractions down to 1 minute contractions every 3 minutes and were told to come in. Ms DDD had an examination and sweep - this would be the first of four she had that day. Four of the seven she had since Friday 20th. All of which I sat in on. I also got to see the 'show' that comes out afterwards, ewurgh - Greg's image above is fitting. Anyway, we went to the birthing centre, had the examination, found out that she was only 1cm dilated and was promptly sent home.

Birthing ball, walking, hot bath, wash, spin and repeat. 10 hours later - a total of 15 hours of ‘Early labour’** so far - Ms DDD phoned the midwife and was told to come in as she needed something for the pain and she was exhausted. At this point I should also point out that Ms DDD had vomited anything and everything she drank or ate, even water. So she had no food and could only sip water during labour.

We went to the hospital: Examination, feel for the intensity of the contractions, number 2&3 of the 4 sweeps, 2 cm dilated, Pethidine (peth) and we got admitted into the hospital's maternity ward so she could be monitored. That idealistic ‘Birth Centre’ was slipping away.

4 hours more of Peth dazed contractions, another 'show' due to the sweep and the Midwives put the baby on a 'Trace' (this basically monitors heart rate and movement). Baby's heart rate was dropping a bit too low with each contraction. We were sent to the delivery room for further examination.

Back in the delivery room Ms DDD gets a further examination to find that she is 3cm dilated. Baby's heart was still dropping with the contractions so they check the water (i.e. amniotic fluid). They also check the oxygen going to the baby and whether the baby had poo'ed due to distress. Oxygen was fine but he did poo (the poo was suspected by confirmed during the delivery).

Discussions of c-section arose, my World starts spinning, Ms DDD goes on a drip (i) for the c-section. (ii) to keep her hydrated. You see when I was 12 my Mum had a C-section with my brother that tdidn't go all that well, she survived so did he. It changed my life and I'm only just now realisisng how much it did affect me. I never wanted to live through that again. This was my worst nightmare.

Finally the personal decisions about the birth were taken from us due to the baby and circumstance. For that I'm eternally thankful as it saved my baby’s life. C-section it was.

I sat in on the surgery, Ms DDD was awake and as we were talking I could feel and see the surgeon literally yanking, tugging and pulling open her stomach. I did look around the screen at her stomach. That stays with me that one, forever, I can't speak about it.

Anyway the cord was wrapped around the baby’s neck and he had done a poo in distress. It was the right decision. As they pulled him out there was a moment where he wasn't crying, Ms DDD panicked a little, then he cried, she cried, I felt emotional and then they handed him to me. I told Ms DDD the sex, it was amazing. Apparently she had asked the Midwife that I was to be the first person to tell her the sex as I wasn't able to cut the umbilical cord. I will love her forever for that.

So that was my child’s birth.

Next it was all about Ms DDD. I stayed with her as they “Put her back together” as the midwife put it. I’ve got good hearing so I could hear them saying put the bladder here and things like that. She’s on the mend in hospital with my son.

I’m now waiting in limbo, waiting for my family to come home.

It was an experience and every birth has its own story to tell.

*Hypnobirth
    I don’t understand it, I won’t pretend to understand and I don’t like it. Why? Nothing personal, but I’m old school. I hate anything even remotely related to ‘hemp smoking, sandal wearing, hippy bollox’. All should be shot.

But it does work. It works so well in fact that Ms DDD was managing and appeared to look like she was managing contractions for stronger than her facial expressions were giving away. It could simply have been that she’s a strong woman. Nope “It were the hippies that did it”.

**Early labour
    For the midwives/doctors this bit doesn't even count. They only consider labour from the active phase, which is 4 cm dilated. Early labour is the thinning/removal of the cervix. Once you are 4cm dilated you are then considered to be in active labour, it's the magic number. Doctors mostly only give you about 12 hours to have the baby once in this stage before they intervene due to fatigue on the mother and baby.

C-section
    There's talk about allowing women to opt to have a c-section, where there is no medical need, over a natural birth. Personally, having lived through the experience and aftermath twice, as a son and as a Dad, I wouldn't recommend it. Never. There is no gain or benefit to your family or to yourself except a possibly tighter vagina at the expense of a scar across your belly. But each to their own.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    My child is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Sometimes I think about him and just want to fall to the floor crying with tears of joy and happiness. But I won't because I probably couldn't stop crying as the thought of him makes me just that happy. I cannot wait to watch him grow, to nuture him around his nature.

I never realised... I never really knew how amazing this all really could be.

I may have to tell him thank you.
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    Blimey, that was quite a ride!
    Glad it's all worked out in the end. Hope Mrs DDD heals soon. I have no actual experience of c section but completely agree with your sentiment. It's not a minor procedure to be undertaken lightly. I despise the 'too posh to push' notion, medical reasons only seems to make more sense.
    Enjoy bonding with ddd and all the good times ahead.
    And congratulations again.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    My child is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Sometimes I think about him and just want to fall to the floor crying with tears of joy and happiness. But I won't because I probably couldn't stop crying as the thought of him makes me just that happy. I cannot wait to watch him grow, to nuture him around his nature.

I never realised... I never really knew how amazing this all really could be.

I may have to tell him thank you.

Keep the above and bring it out if/when the time(s) comes that you want to put him through the brick wall cos he's raised your blood pressure that much :twisted: :lol::wink:

I'm going to raise a (large) glass of wine to Mrs DDD and babby. I'll have a shot of rum for you :)