2011-2012 Expectant parent (cyclists) club!

Comments

• We are going through names at the moment and I did not realise that you can have Cadence as a name. I cannot pretend to know what cadence is but I know some of you like that sort of thing. Anyone going to go for it and call their little one Cadence!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    We are going through names at the moment and I did not realise that you can have Cadence as a name. I cannot pretend to know what cadence is but I know some of you like that sort of thing. Anyone going to go for it and call their little one Cadence!

We're still thinking of a middle name but, erm, no.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    By chance, our littl'un does share a name with one of the Alpine Cols.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bigmat
    We are going through names at the moment and I did not realise that you can have Cadence as a name. I cannot pretend to know what cadence is but I know some of you like that sort of thing. Anyone going to go for it and call their little one Cadence!

We're still thinking of a middle name but, erm, no!
  • bigmat
    rjsterry wrote:

Madeleine?
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    We found out yesterday we're going to have a little girl :D

Proud father (to be) was an understatement 8)

We'd already arranged to blag all the clothes off friends who are having a boy 3 months ahead of us, and we'd already picked a boys name, so finding out "it" was a "she" was something we were half expecting thanks to Sod's Law :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • BigMat wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Madeleine?

Was thinking the exact same thing :)
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • snooks wrote:

We'd already arranged to blag all the clothes off friends who are having a boy 3 months ahead of us, and we'd already picked a boys name, so finding out "it" was a "she" was something we were half expecting thanks to Sod's Law :D

Congratulations, we also found out recently that it was a girl (though i was convinced until i saw the ultrasound that I had a little boy on the way).

We also inherited all of the clothes from brother / sister in law who had a boy 2 years ago. About 90% of the clothes from 0 to 8 months are fine for a box or girl but we noticed that after around 8 months the clothes started to get very boyish - i guess we will have to buy some clothes within the first two years afterall.
    2012 Brompton S6L
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC 9.0
    2001 Specialized Allez
    1998 Specialized Rockhopper FS - still going strong!
  • snooks wrote:

heh heh. we've done the reverse - been offered a whole load of lovely clothes from friends who have had two little girls, pretty much decided on a name for a little girl, and are, of course, having a little boy!

and congrats, btw!
  • We're currently lusting after a Volvo XC90

The Grand Scenic just aint big enough for our family.

If you do get an XC90 make sure it is not a petrol one. The old man snapped one up on the cheap last year, reckons it's just about the thirstiest vehicle he's ever owned. The MPG is utterly appalling.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    We're currently lusting after a Volvo XC90

The Grand Scenic just aint big enough for our family.

If you do get an XC90 make sure it is not a petrol one. The old man snapped one up on the cheap last year, reckons it's just about the thirstiest vehicle he's ever owned. The MPG is utterly appalling.

Seconded. However, the D5 variant is excellent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • snooks
    snooks wrote:

heh heh. we've done the reverse - been offered a whole load of lovely clothes from friends who have had two little girls, pretty much decided on a name for a little girl, and are, of course, having a little boy!

and congrats, btw!

Rather than swap children, we could swap clothes :wink:

Clothes parcel swapsies?? :D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • very entertaining thread, got some funny looks in the office as I laughed out loud at more than a few posts! as a fairly new dad (#1 son now 20 months) and now expecting baby #2 in Jan it all felt very familiar.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Update:

Push chair, carry cot, car, car seat, Moses basket, new born nappies, toiletries have all been bought. New born nappies being the single coolest thing we've bought, makes visualising it seem so real.

Not sure how but the baby has already accumulated sleep suits, vests, booties, scratch mitts and those all in one body suits babies wear. We need a chest of draws for its stuff.

Ms DDD has order me to wash everything with Fairy Non-Biological and Fabric Conditioner. (I may wash they again with just the Fairy Non-Bio as I'm not too sure Fabric Conditioner/Softner is good for baby's skin).

We've had one scare. Antenatal class are 4 hrs long slightly boring but informative. Baby is currently breached (head up) it was previously head down. "Come on somersault for Daddy!"

Baby is due 19 Nov, 5 weeks to go. Fingers, heart and soul crossed. I feel gooey inside.

I'm gonna cry.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Update:

Push chair, carry cot, car, car seat, Moses basket, new born nappies, toiletries have all been bought. New born nappies being the single coolest thing we've bought, makes visualising it seem so real.

Not sure how but the baby has already accumulated sleep suits, vests, booties, scratch mitts and those all in one body suits babies wear. We need a chest of draws for its stuff.

Ms DDD has order me to wash everything with Fairy Non-Biological and Fabric Conditioner. (I may wash they again with just the Fairy Non-Bio as I'm not too sure Fabric Conditioner/Softner is good for baby's skin).

We've had one scare. Antenatal class are 4 hrs long slightly boring but informative. Baby is currently breached (head up) it was previously head down. "Come on somersault for Daddy!"

Baby is due 19 Nov, 5 weeks to go. Fingers, heart and soul crossed. I feel gooey inside.

I'm gonna cry.

Nappies - you do know you need to buy more? - expect to go through 6 a day, don't add it up it's too scary

Fabric Conditioner - buy the baby specific stuff it's usually the white bottle

Make the most of the next 5 weeks and good luck

Have you booked paternity?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    My little man is 11 months now and he is a real handful. Crawls faster than I can run and can down a bottle of toilet duck, put his fingers in a plug and phone 999 faster than I can turn my head around.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My little man is 11 months now and he is a real handful. Crawls faster than I can run and can down a bottle of toilet duck, put his fingers in a plug and phone 999 faster than I can turn my head around.

Just wait until he learns how to open the front door and go exploring..........
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    Have you booked paternity?

Thanks, yes I've requested it. Think I need to fill a form out though. But I've made it clear that when (the date) the baby is born (and not labor) is the day I start my two weeks paternity.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snooks
    Form should be filled in around 15 weeks before EDD...well mine was :P

I keep getting threatened with trips to mamas and papas and mothercare to look at prams, but it's starting to melt my mind, prams, travel systems, push chairs, big wheels small wheels, car seats etc.
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • DonDaddyD
    snooks wrote:
    Form should be filled in around 15 weeks before EDD...well mine was :P

I keep getting threatened with trips to mamas and papas and mothercare to look at prams, but it's starting to melt my mind, prams, travel systems, push chairs, big wheels small wheels, car seats etc.

You've come to the right place!

The what!? How much for a buggy thread

You'll probably get a Bugaboo, Quinny, Silvercross or Mamas and Papas travel system as you'll want the best and money will have little relevance at this stage.

We (she) went for the Maclaren XLR £264 Carry cot and Pushchair. It's is more Pushchair than pram. The matching Recaro car seat that goes with it is £119 - £130. We have that too. (I wanted the Mamas and Papas Glide or Urbo).

Our (her) logic was that we didn't want to spend £600 on a travel system that was likely to last 6 months tops before needing to replace it with something lighter and easier to use.

It's also winter as well so it was debatable as to how much she would be actually taking the kid out in the pram months before a pushchair is needed. Travel systems are bulky so getting them on trains, buses etc is said to be difficult (as if Ms DDD ever does that :roll: ).

Ms DDD is also getting a Bjorn baby carrier. It's basically a baby carrying rucksack.
    Food Chain number = 4

• snooks
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You'll probably get a Bugaboo, Quinny, Silvercross or Mamas and Papas travel system as you'll want the best and money will have little relevance at this stage.

See, languages that I don't understand....

And reading that thread I'd be right so we need one of these, only to find out we don't want one of those, we want one of these.

I think we need to test drive, so I can't avoid "those" shops any more :(
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    so if i am 36 weeks pregnant

and weigh 3 stone extra :shock:

Have a cross bike with road tyres and pannier for my commute

What is my score in the silly commuting racing game?

Finish the whole commute thing end of next week! Yipes!

Have managed to get given nearly everything due to nephews neices and friends sprogs.

Do need to paint baby room though think it will be in with us to start.

Considering one of those alongside cots for early days / constant feeding preiod.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEDSIDE-COT-2 ... 2568598927
  • DonDaddyD
    You are 36 weeks and still riding a bike.

Are you She-ra

:shock:

shera1.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    snooks wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

And reading that thread I'd be right so we need one of these, only to find out we don't want one of those, we want one of these.

If you want to buy and spend sensibly you cannot avoid the shops.

I freaked out big time the first time I went to Mamas and Papas and looked at the baby clothes, like properly freaked out. Needed air and water.

Good luck!
    Food Chain number = 4

• jfw
    jfw Posts: 41
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You are 36 weeks and still riding a bike.

Are you She-ra

:shock:

i definitely wouldn't fit in that little white dress right now :oops:

only a couple of miles to station

My commute shef side
    and another mile or so in Derby

Have granny ring!
  • DonDaddyD
    "Pregnancy is simply the vagina's transformation from teenage boy fantasy to purposeful organ. Damn." ~ DonDaddyD

I came to this conclusion at Antenatal class yesterday.

Part of my childhood, sexuality and libido died that day.

Sex unless it's for procreation is wrong. That's my conclusion.

:x
    Food Chain number = 4

• bigmat
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    snooks wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

If you want to buy and spend sensibly you cannot avoid the shops.

I freaked out big time the first time I went to Mamas and Papas and looked at the baby clothes, like properly freaked out. Needed air and water.

Good luck!

A tip. The likes of Mamas and Papas are for gifts, for other people's children.

Sedate cycling, sex as a means of procreation only - deary me, you'll be missed round here....
  • jfw wrote:
    so if i am 36 weeks pregnant

and weigh 3 stone extra :shock:

Have a cross bike with road tyres and pannier for my commute

What is my score in the silly commuting racing game?

Hmmm.... Cross bike (with drops) counts as a road bike, so we'll start you off at 4, +1 for the pannier makes you a 5. I think a reasonable modifier for 8 months pregnant should be about a +20. I make you a 25.

Any objections?

Chapeau, madam. Must look ace in lycra. :)
  • Hi All

We had a little girl. Two weeks old now. Not been on bike since birth as mainly use it to commute on. Going for a little trip tomorrow to see how the legs are. Will combine it with a trip to a nice French Deli in Greenwich to get Mrs SDP some lunch goodies.

Buggywise - we went with the bugaboo bee. We made a "wedding list" type appoinment with the kids dept at John Lewis in Bluewater and a very nice lady went through all the stuff we need. They even gave us some vouchers to get a bit of tea and cake.