2011-2012 Expectant parent (cyclists) club!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Having just found out that Snooks is expecting and with Mr Sterry and myself also expecting and Spacebadger actually duffed I figured we may as well make a club to discuss the trial and tribulations of parenthood/becoming parents, share and ask advice/buying advice and or just have a place where we can rant.

So, first port of call are you or were you expecting (as in the baby has been born) in 2011? How did or are you finding the pregnancy?

Give Bassjunkie a moment alone with her and he'll join our club too! :P
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Will you promise to keep it all in one thread then? Thanks.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    What is this, the thread police? Sheesh!

Not to put the frighteners on you too much DDD, but last Thursday, I had my first opportunity to go for a ride in a non-commuting capacity in about 9 months. Lovely little run out to Box Hill - there and back in a couple of hours, so back in plenty of time to shift all the furniture around for the carpet fitters.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    make the most of cycling opportunities during early pregnancy, later stages will be taken up with mothercare trips etc... once baby is there chances for non commuting rides do get rather rare.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Eeeeh gods! Admins - can you put this somewhere where the rest of us don't have to look at it!

What next - who can wait for the "DDD I'm a new daddy" thread. The "DDD how to I clean up baby puke thread", the "DDD where are the best schools" thread, the "DDD why is my child turning into a git" thread, the "DDD my 14 year old daughter just got into trouble" thread, the "DDD my child goes to Uni next year and I haven't saved any money so what do I do now" thread, the "DDD damn kid won't move out of the bloody house" thread, the "DDD my child has just married someone totally innappropriate", the "DDD my kid has just put me in a home" thread.

Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Robstar24 wrote:
    once baby is there chances for non commuting rides do get rather rare.

They're like hen's teeth.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    EDD is Jan 15th, 19 weeks, bump is kicking, next week is the 20 week scan!
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Mila Laura Namiki Oliver born 12/8/11. Bit of a whopper at 9lbs, but lovely nonetheless. Came in a rush and almost was born in Richmond Park...

Not done lots of riding tbh, but have got the turbo set up in the garden...!
  • rjsterry
    Congratulations mroli!

@Rolf F: I'm sure he's worrying about those topics already.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    2011 Expectant parent (ex-cyclists) club!
    FTFY
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mroli wrote:
    Mila Laura Namiki Oliver born 12/8/11. Bit of a whopper at 9lbs, but lovely nonetheless. Came in a rush and almost was born in Richmond Park...

Congratulations.
    Mila and I share a birthdate and every year we get a present from the heavens in the form of the Perseid meteor shower.
    So every year on her birthday, go somewhere dark with her, face north & look up and when you see a shooting star (about every 45 seconds some years) tell her just how special she is.

The twelfth of August is also known as the Glorious Twelfth.

She was born on a good day.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    The twelfth of August is also known as the Glorious Twelfth.

She was born on a good day.

No a great day if you are a grouse :wink:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Robstar24 wrote:
    make the most of cycling opportunities during early pregnancy, later stages will be taken up with mothercare trips etc... once baby is there chances for non commuting rides do get rather rare.

:lol: you need to get your house in order!

My little one is now 6 weeks and apart from broken sleep slowing me a little I'm doing as much riding as ever.

Mummy's maternity leave is for the Mothercare trips etc.
  • rjsterry
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Robstar24 wrote:

My little one is now 6 weeks and apart from broken sleep slowing me a little I'm doing as much riding as ever.

6 weeks? Wait until you've had 18 months of sleep deprivation. To be fair, it's actually fixing up the house we moved into just before our first was born, which has taken up most of my spare time and money over the last two years.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Robstar24 wrote:

i'm afraid you're still in the early stages then, mine is 14 months old and once they get past the stage of sleeping most of the day kiss bye bye to lots of cycling, as time is taken up with lots of family activities (which are fun in their own way too), and you can't just leave mummy the way you can with a sleeping tot.

congrats tho, hope you're enjoying it. Mrs Robstar and I think that perhaps we didn't enjoy the very first part enough as we were too busy running around.
  • rjsterry
    It is scary quite how quickly they move on to the next stage at that early age. Just as you think you've got a handle on them - when to feed them, how to best get them off to sleep, etc. - they change their behaviour and your back to square one.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    mroli wrote:

How's the N+1 with you now, 8 or 9 or have you hit double figures? :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Ahhh I had sensed there may be a thread like this heading in the direction of the forum :D

Congrats mroli and to all others expecting.

Due date 12th Feb 2012 here, am 4 months and starting to feel the squeeze in normal clothes. I am also starting to realise that the nursery we will have to use is near my place of work and not Mr SB's, so there goes the bike commute for a while - pah!

This little critter had better be worth it :lol:
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Second one due on 16 November.

Riding opportunities (in both senses of the world) have become quite limited after Captain Chaos arrived. Suspect more of the same after number 2 is born...

....it's worth it though! :)
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    Mrs M had our first on 31 July. So far so good but it is relentless.

Learnt a lot v quickly but settling down now and feel like I am bonding well with the lad. In fairness we were pretty well set up for it in terms of appropriate house, car and all the gubbins required well in advance which helps. And Mrs M is brilliant ofc.

Only rides so far have been the commute but I am in no doubt that 6 hour jaunts on the road bike are a thing of the past for some time while (and tbh I have lost my mojo for that after the marmotte anyway - going to be mtbing instead) and so are boozy evenings/weekends away with the lads.

The Mrs dossing off on maternity leave seems to be having an amazing social life with daily coffees/lunches/walks in the park with the local mum's mafia. NCT ftw.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • DonDaddyD
    As a gesture to show willing, I've promised Ms DDD that once the baby is born I will give up my X-box* and reduce the number of comics I get a month from 20+ to something in the teens ("Bye bye Marvel you shouldn't have dicked with the Ultimates and bye bye DC you SUCK!"). This I hope will convince her that I'm willing to spend as much time as I possibly can doing family stuff.

At the same time I'm still going to need 'me' time, Ms DDD understands this, that time I'm hoping to spend cycling**, after all it's not like I'm playing computer games and reading (as many) comics anymore.... :wink:

*Part of the X-box deal is that I plan to take a week off work to play and complete Elder Scrolls Skyrim and Gears of War 3. The next Call of Duty comes out too close to the due date, so no chance of playing that. :x

**I've wanted to reduce my other activities so I can do my cycling AND I reckon if the kid sees me cycling then they'll want to too.

There's a plan....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Medders wrote:
    Mrs M had our first on 31 July. So far so good but it is relentless.

Learnt a lot v quickly but settling down now and feel like I am bonding well with the lad.

Good to hear - I found it really hard to bond with my son for the first couple of months. There wasn't any particular reason (resentment of attention, lack of sleep etc) and having a family was really important to me, but I still found it really difficult to make that connection. It probably came when I stopped worrying about it.

It can be a bit odd, as there is, rightly, a lot of support provided to the Mums but not so many places for the Dads to turn for advide. You soon get the hang of it though, particularly now my son's favourite phrase is 'Daddy, bike, gone!' if I don't greet him when he wakes up!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    I'm done.

Had 2, went for a 3rd and got twins.

When they start coming 2 at a time it's time to stop.

I'll pop in now and again to mock you newbies though.

Calpol is your friend.......
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    Oh yes congrats everyone!

Riding opportunities (in both senses of the world) have become quite limited after Captain Chaos arrived. Suspect more of the same after number 2 is born...

....it's worth it though! :)

Guess you've never been more thankful for your right hand as you are now! :wink:
    Food Chain number = 4

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    .. every year we get a present from the heavens in the form of the Perseid meteor shower.
    So every year on her birthday, go somewhere dark with her, face north & look up and when you see a shooting star (about every 45 seconds some years) tell her just how special she is.

Thank you everyone - and thank you EKE for this - I knew about the glorious 12th, but this is an amazing thing.

Do kids bikes count in n+1?!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Due date 12th Feb 2012 here, am 4 months and starting to feel the squeeze in normal clothes.

We're less than a month ahead of you and Mrs snooks has been bursting out of her jeans for ages. It started slowly, then within what felt like a few days, the bump grew and grew.... :shock:

I don't know if it's the same with where you are but Top Shop on Oxford Street have their own maternity section. Mrs snooks spent some time around there with their own dedicated maternity sales assistant, once finished she gathered all her new purchased together to head to the tills, and the assistant asked her where she was going? "To pay" she replied "it's alright I'll take the clothes and if you'd like to follow me you can pay here" at a secret maternity only till 8)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • txom
    txom Posts: 31
    Don't forget that as well as having less time for the bikes, you'll also have less space for them as your house gradually gets filled up with brightly coloured plastic tat.

Prepare for n-1
  • rjsterry
    I'm done.

Had 2, went for a 3rd and got twins.

When they start coming 2 at a time it's time to stop.

I'll pop in now and again to mock you newbies though.

Calpol is your friend.......

Had one more go and rolled a double-six. :)

+1 on the Calpol. Also, every now and then the littl'un will throw an absolute screaming fit for no discernible reason: take it in turns or you will go a bit mental trying to calm him/her down. There is a reason the sound of a baby crying is used as a form of torture.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Congrats newbies :lol: Take it from an old hand, make the most of the first few years, they go far to quickly, suddenly you'll find yourself remonstrating with a surly teenager whilst wondering WHEN THE F*** DID THAT HAPPEN :shock:

The one thing having kids will do is make you value any 'me time' enormously.

I'm at the 'DDD - how do I make the little f***ers leave home' stage, if mine are still arround when that thread is posted I'm in deep shit.

I'll pop in from time to time just to laugh, if only because I know whats coming next
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Congrats (and to everyone else, too). In my case, the two weeks after the second came were more rushed than those involving the first born.

@Medders - congrats, also! How was the Marmotte?

@TWH - we used to be able to use Medised for the first - much more effective than Calpol. But was then told they raised the minimum user age to five.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."