Marmotte 2012

Comments

• grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Number #7 is directly proportional to the amount of time spent on #6
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Just entered for my second.

Surprising what an immediate positive effect pressing that send button had on my training motivation.
  • three of us now signed in on Marmotte and Etape Acte 1...fantastic weekend in prospect, and one to really look forward to.

Logistics will be awful, but it's just a case of getting on with it. We're camping near to Bourg, and will register for Marmotte on Thursday evening...register for Etape in Albertville at 2pm on the friday, leave a car at the finish near to Toussuire...then drive back to campsite near Bourg...rest...Marmotte saturday...rest as much as possible in the evening, then early start on sunday in second car to Albertville.

Not ideal, but still worth it, even though the second day's cycling may be (insert adjective of your choice here)....any big vans going past Bourg on the way to Albertville on the sunday morning willing to pick up three cyclists and bikes would be welcome...stops us hiring that pesky second car.

Even this way with two cars, it will still cheaper than doing it via a tour...
  • Many thanks for the various advice, I am in. Yikes/yipee!
  • signed up on the sport comm website, just to check I entered marmotte, grand sportiff on the 07/07....thats correct isn't it (must brush up on my francais!)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Can anyone tell me how the application system works.
    If I apply , but cannot ride due to illness /injury/work etc. can my place be reallocated to someone else , or would I deprive another of a chance to ride.
    I only ask as I am not 100% certain of where I will be in early July, I really want to ride in this , but don't want to take a place from someone else.
    Cheers
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    1st timer here!

Apart from hotel castillon can you recommend any others? It seems already booked up! Edit- all hotels seem fully booked according to Expedia/booking.com etc

Thx, bricking it!!
  • mattpage
    mattpage Posts: 122
    I'm in!

Also doing the Etape 1 & 2.
    Time to start thinking about logistics.

Anyone know how bib numbers are given out? I had to give a race history for the Etapes, nothing for Marmotte. Is it a free for all? Hoping to get to start near the front.
    Twitter: @mattpage24.
    Strava.
  • Hi

Entered for this event for first time.

We are making our own arrangements to get there - any recommendations for a good campsite close to Bourg?

Cheers
  • Hi

Entered for this event for first time.

We are making our own arrangements to get there - any recommendations for a good campsite close to Bourg?

Cheers

Try this place:

http://www.alarencontredusoleil.com/

Lovely site right at the foot of the Alpe.
    Our club went there last year and will be back again next year staying in the chalets
  • Tried to sign on this morning but couldn't, don't know if it is full already or if they will be
    another opportunity to sign up later.

Will be gutted if I've missed out, did it last year and remember there being several days to
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    john46 wrote:
    Tried to sign on this morning but couldn't, don't know if it is full already or if they will be
    another opportunity to sign up later.

Will be gutted if I've missed out, did it last year and remember there being several days to

The website say they received more than 6000 places and have shut the door to individual subcriptions until they have processed these. The remaining places are still open for anyone participating in multiple sportives such as the Trophee de l'Oisans, Grand Trophee.

Another update will be given on 8th Dec. Dosssard numbers will be sent in stages from 15th Jan.

Wow. That sold out fast. Next year everyone will be staying up to midnight on 30th Nov and the website will crash!
  • Regitered yesterday. Got my christian / surname in the wrong way round! Anyway, I can see my name on the link above that was posted yesterday.
    http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... p?langue=1

but can't find it anywhere on this link now!
    http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... &langue=2&
    bouton=TO+SEEK

I've just emailed them to check all is ok!
  • can anyone reccomend a campsite or hotel outside bourg thats rideable to and from the event. The campsites in bourg want a min of 7 nights and i can only stay for 3 so not really up for paying of 200 quid for 3 nights in my own tent 2 man tent.....thats just taking the piss frankly!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • There's LOADS of campsites all over the vallee d'Oisan so you can't really go wrong. A mate and I are going to wing it and see what's available after driving down there. Camping la Piscine wanted over 250 yoyos for 7 nights with an EHU which, frankly, is a pi$$take (even if Brigitte is hot).

I wouldn't advocate you rough camp but, if push comes to shove, there's plenty of green space out there!!
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    darn it.

My A event for 2012 already full - and I haven't got an entry - its typical that I did not check BR yesterday daily for the first time in 18 months!

I guess that means I need to 'reassess my goals for 2012'
  • If you are looking for a package including a lift from the UK, contact Dan Bennett of Progressive Cycling. He's the director and coach of the V02 Development sqaud. He is running a trip to the Marmotte with entries and may still have some places.
    http://www.progressivecyclecoaching.co. ... 533499.htm
  • BigGar35
    BigGar35 Posts: 30
    edited December 2011
  • BigGar 35 - You might find some useful info. in here:
    http://www.tourism-oisans.com/info-mountain-344.html
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Dru wrote:
    darn it.

My A event for 2012 already full - and I haven't got an entry - its typical that I did not check BR yesterday daily for the first time in 18 months!

Try Veloventoux.com as they usually have fifty entries available. I went with them to the Marmotte last year and it was faultless.
    Brian B.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    speshsteve wrote:
    can anyone reccomend a campsite or hotel outside bourg thats rideable to and from the event. The campsites in bourg want a min of 7 nights and i can only stay for 3 so not really up for paying of 200 quid for 3 nights in my own tent 2 man tent.....thats just taking the wee-wee frankly!

We had to book a full week this year when we only wanted 3-4 nights - but there were 3 of us sharing the cost of a pitch so it wasn't that bad. I'd risk turning up - on our campsite I'm sure that if we had just risked turning up with small tents we'd have got on anyway - there were people rammed on parts of the site which weren't marked pitches who were only there for a couple of nights.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • If anyone is interested I have 3 rooms booked in La Grave which Im just about to cancel due to getting a better offer :mrgreen:

I have a single, a double and a triple booked from the 4th to the 8th in a functional looking but not fancy 2* Hotel
    Total cost of each for the stay was 190, 260, 320 Euros a piece

If you are interested PM me and I will arrange a mutually convenient time for me to bin them so you can rebook
    I dont log on every day so be patient!

Cheers
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    Could be interested in the triple room but having probs pming you - can you pm me on dbgraphics@blueyonder.co.uk
    Cheers
    db
  • an anyone reccomend a campsite or hotel outside bourg thats rideable to and from the event. The campsites in bourg want a min of 7 nights and i can only stay for 3 so not really up for paying of 200 quid for 3 nights in my own tent 2 man tent.....thats just taking the wee-wee frankly!
    I 've stayed at the Colporteur the last 2 years and they open up an extra field for the Marmotte weekend, they had plenty of room if you just turned up. We prefer the field as you're not quite so regimented and have more space on each pitch.
  • Anyone wanting a Marmotte entry have a word with Dan Bennett at Progressive Cycle Coaching http://www.progressivecyclecoaching.co. ... 533499.htm

I was talking to him this morning - got my entry and he's got about 3-4 more available I think :D
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,575
    Brian B wrote:
    Dru wrote:
    darn it.

Try Veloventoux.com as they usually have fifty entries available. I went with them to the Marmotte last year and it was faultless.

now then brian. are you doing the marmotte again next year or have to planned something else? i'm waiting on clubmates to confirm they'll be going away for a week in summer. i want to get away somewhere and would rather not have the commitment of a sportive but if they can't say for certain it's on i'll be trying to get a week the same as this year with veloventoux.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • If you cant get an entry, why not just go and ride it anyway. You wont get an official time or anything but you can still enjoy the atmosphere and the whole spectical of the event.
  • Swan-Neck wrote:
    If you cant get an entry, why not just go and ride it anyway.
    Absolutely, it's a great route and a public highway. But please don't do it on the same day as the Marmotte; entry numbers are limited for a reason. Lot's of cafes and water taps on the way round, so no problem doing it unsupported. If you want an award, you could ride it as an audax - Circuit of Galibier: http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/SS12/ (although I don't think it starts in Cheshire :) ).
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    gsk82 wrote:
    Brian B wrote:
    Dru wrote:
    darn it.

now then brian. are you doing the marmotte again next year or have to planned something else? i'm waiting on clubmates to confirm they'll be going away for a week in summer. i want to get away somewhere and would rather not have the commitment of a sportive but if they can't say for certain it's on i'll be trying to get a week the same as this year with veloventoux.

My original plan was not to go abroad in 2012 but I am already having second thoughts. Dont where I would go if I did. I have been to Ventoux area 3 times now(and will again but not next year) done the Stelvio, Mortorolo, Gavia area, The Pyrenees and the marmotte area twice now but easily do them again. The company I did the Pyrennes is now longer operating but will ask my brother who he went with in 2010. Fancy doing the marmotte again in the future but also want to ride it on my own and spend some time in the area and take in the beautiful climb up to la berarde again.
    Brian B.
  • Last year 3 of us went to Bourg St. Maurice and stayed in the Chill Chalet http://www.chillchalet.com/chalets/index.htm. Easy access to the Roseland, Petit St. Bernard, Madeleine and Iseran, plus Les Arcs and lots of others.
    Chalet was good, very reasonable, right in the town and close to the Railway station.