Marmotte 2012

1121314151618»

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,586
    edited July 2012
    http://youtu.be/i1T3CZQSq0c

The above link is my wee video of the Marmotte. It was shot on head cam which was seated on my stem thus pointing slightly upwards and foreshortening / shallowing the gradients. Sadly heavily pixalated due to lack of memory on SD Card. no matter if you are ever considering doing the Marmotte this should give you an idea of what to expect.

Key moments:

11 mins top of Glandon,

22 mins top of Telegraph,

42 mins Galibier summit,

58 mins Galibier tunnels,

1hr02mins start of Alpe.

Sadly the SD card was full at approx turn 8 on the Alpe.
  • alan_a
    edited to put new Youtube link as opposed to dropbox link into above post.
  • speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    My Video

Anyone paid for this? I clicked on the link and paid by paypal and heard nothing (if i click on the link it just asks for paypal payment again!) Does anyone know how this works i.e. do you get an email with a link to download etc?

Steve
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Are the photo's available yet?
  • speshsteve
    yep, check out photo breton
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    speshsteve wrote:
    yep, check out photo breton

Got them cheers.
  • hatone
    hatone Posts: 228
    I'd like to add a couple points:-

- I spent 9 days riding in the mountains prior to the Marmotte on my 50 mm Carbon clinchers. I didn't have one issue with downhill braking (cork pads) or suffered any punctures/failures. Then again, my carbon clinchers cost twice as much as Alloy clinchers. Though I must say descending in the wet didn't inspire a great deal of confidence.

- While I'm blown away by the fastest time set in the Marmotte, I'm somewhat suspicious. As mentioned by one poster, Grand Fondos have hardly any doping regulation . I noticed there were a few support vehicles on the route which certainly helps with finishing time.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    We picked up the rider who crashed on the second bend on the Glandon-he got a lift to AdH after the infirmary but wasnt reunited with his bike so we gave him a lift back to his accomodation near Bourg.He said his rear tyre blew and he was thrown over the edge,badly twisting one knee plus the usual scrapes etc.his name was Alistair.If anyone knows him,please post with how he is.He rides for a German pro team.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    hatone wrote:
    I'd like to add a couple points:-

- I spent 9 days riding in the mountains prior to the Marmotte on my 50 mm Carbon clinchers. I didn't have one issue with downhill braking (cork pads) or suffered any punctures/failures. Then again, my carbon clinchers cost twice as much as Alloy clinchers. Though I must say descending in the wet didn't inspire a great deal of confidence.

- While I'm blown away by the fastest time set in the Marmotte, I'm somewhat suspicious. As mentioned by one poster, Grand Fondos have hardly any doping regulation . I noticed there were a few support vehicles on the route which certainly helps with finishing time.

The Marmotte is not in the granfondo circuit where the money is... it is a timed event and does not have a race format... despite that, I expect some of the usual suspects to be there among the crowd.
    In the Granfondo circuit (I can only speak for Italy, as it is the reality I know) there are money prizes and several teams with significant budget (in the tens of thousands per year). Antidoping exists, but it's a bit of a joke, like it is in PRO football, wehre they do very few tests and they are always negative. Antidoping costs money and at amateur level nobody seems to care that much as sponsors are local and no doping case makes the headlines. The result is shocking... I am sure there is way more doping at THIS amateur level than there is in PRO cycling
    left the forum March 2023
  • I sneaked home in under 9 hours total; just under 8:30 excluding the Glandon, bagging a gold medal, which was my primary target. :D I also achieved my secondary target of "dishing it out" to my long time duelling partner, who has always dished it out to me, until this year. I acquired a better bike and joined a club over the winter, as an alternative to training in Tenerife with a swimming coach. :D

Retirement beckons, at least from long Sportives. My back can't really hack the longer rides, so I think I shall be sticking to club runs and one-off climbs from now on. Everything went to plan on Saturday - othe than my aching back - so the only way from here Marmotte-wise is most likely downhill.

Serious kudos/chapeaux to those who did the Marmotte and then Etape #1 or "Le Grimpe". I spent the Sunday eating Tartiflette and drinking beer. :D
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143
    edited July 2012
    Hard day
  • Phill Thom
    Phill Thom Posts: 50
    Hi bois, does anyone know where I can buy a La Marmotte jersey from.Didn't get round to looking after the ride, they were probably closed when I finnished anyway :wink: . I promised myself one if I completed the ride like. Cheers.
  • oldhairylegs
    oldhairylegs Posts: 220
    Our club trip went really well and 17 of us managed to complete the ride in times ranging from well under 7 hours to well over 12 :shock:

Perfect weather again for what is a truly fantastic event :)

For anybody interested, here are a couple of clips from rides we did in the run up to the big day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EePVltS3AAM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEHAaEDRpr8
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Finished 5 mins slower than last year :-( Things were going well at the bottom of the Alpe, 20 mins up on the previous year after a cracking descent from the Galibier. Got to La Garde and then fell to pieces for the rest of the climb- absolutely nothing left in the tank. Another silver medal so can't be too unhappy. Guess I know my Marmotte level now. I think my business with the Marmotte is now concluded and its time to move on. That other event starting with M in Italy looks interesting.....
  • speshsteve
    if anyone is interested I've done a quick update on the blog below of my experience, photos to follow.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    mattpage wrote:
    I hope everyone achieved what they wanted? One amazing event, I spent the whole time in pain but loved it.
    6hrs 39min actual time. 6hrs 15min official time for me. Strava link

The Marmotte in 6 hours? WTF... have they shortened it or are you superman?

He's Matt Page. You've not heard of Matt Page? :oops:
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Hi Phill post re buying a top - I picked up a card from the bike shop selling quite a lot of tops in Alp D'Huez and you can buy online from www.cyclewear-online.com
    I also did the event as my first ever European sportive and am now the proud owner of one of the Marmotte cycling tops. Great atmosphere and loved being cheered all the way from Bourg up the Alpe. Did it to get round and not watched my time but later found out I'd finished 4 minutes outside of a Gold (being a woman helps!). Hope you are able to get yourself a very well earned top.
  • Phill Thom
    Phill Thom Posts: 50
    Hi Phill post re buying a top - I picked up a card from the bike shop selling quite a lot of tops in Alp D'Huez and you can buy online from http://www.cyclewear-online.com
    I also did the event as my first ever European sportive and am now the proud owner of one of the Marmotte cycling tops. Great atmosphere and loved being cheered all the way from Bourg up the Alpe. Did it to get round and not watched my time but later found out I'd finished 4 minutes outside of a Gold (being a woman helps!). Hope you are able to get yourself a very well earned top.
    Great stuff, thankyou very much wander wheels and chapeau on the time.
  • alan_a
    Hard day

Really, is that the full extent of your report?
  • Full Merckx
    Full Merckx Posts: 143
    Alan A wrote:
    Hard day

Really, is that the full extent of your report?

It's taken me 2 years to reply to that. From the first turn of the pedals I knew I was in for a hard day and so it proved. Tootled up the Glandon feeling OK, but just OK. Made a tit of myself trying to lead a pace line on the valley floor. Hit the Telegraph and tried to drop my mates only to be passed and fall off my bike at the summit. The Galibier destroyed me psychologically, i was bust beyond bust and the Alpe was just a joke. Stop start, off the bike, lying down absolute humiliation and humility learned. This is a demon I need to exorcise but I'm not sure how. Have done things equally as hard, Ironman, City to Summit- but this was my nemesis. Finally recognised that with a fairly fixed VO2 max the best return is to drop as much weight as possible.