Comments

• bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Nice one and good luck.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    millster wrote:
    So, i've booked everything apart from the travel. Took the hit and got an entry only through La Fuga for £99. Heard some good things about them, and I thought private food stations were worth a punt (I know people will criticise the food that's available etc, but we'll see!). Also an extra weight off my mind regarding the time the spaces are released on the internet.

Hotel wise, booked the Hotel Le Castillan at the top of the Alpe. 3 star goodness for 3 nights (5th,6th &7th) half board was just under £270.

Just flights/driving to sort now. easyjet is £160 return gatwick to lyon (which includes "sport" baggage).

Granted its a good way to blow more than £500, but from what people have said i'm in for possibly the best day out on the bike i'll experience.

Yes, you are. Most definitely.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Can a 54 year old do it? I've finished an etape du tour a few years ago and my aim would be just to
    finish - I think 11 hrs 30 mins equates to a silver. I'm under 11 1/2 stone, do the weekly
    40 m road club chaingang and would plan to do a 100 miler each month in 2012,
    some of them as sportives.

I've watched it as a spectator and while the top end standard looks high, there are
    also some average joes riding it. I would appreciate some advice from any completers
    rather than competors. Thanks.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    There was a bloke in his early 70s just near us on the campsite doing it - said he did it every year. I'd say don't get too worried about the standard - if you ride with club cyclists then you should have no problem so long as you treat it with respect and do a bit of training.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Alain Quay wrote:
    Can a 54 year old do it?
    C'mon, this can't be a serious question - take a look at last year's results by age category. Haven't you heard, 50 is the new 30.
    If your question is 'can this 54 year old do it?', then only you know that ... but there's one sure way to find out. Meanwhile, the rest of us 50-somethings will just get on without worrying about the number of candles on the birthday cake.
  • > Take plenty of food/drink with you so you can choose which feed station to stop at. I'd do this even riding towards the front. If you are with a good group you don't want to stop at a feed point if they don't. I'd advise carrying 3 bottles and enough food to get you to the top of the galibier. (The little tri bags that clip to the top tube are perfect for this. You can use a couple of these to store loads of jelly babies, raisins whatever)
    I would agree with taking enough gels and bars, for emergencies, but IMHO 3 full bottles is too much, simply from a point of view of weight. One 1l bottle is plenty to get to the top of the Glandon and the first feed station, and there is a tap half way up. The first water station after that is just before the Telegraphe, if it's warm there will be one half way up and at the top, one at the bottom of the Galibier, one half way I think and one at the top, there is one at the bottom of AdH and one at Dutch corner (Virage no8). The feed stations are well stocked, I would roll through the Glandon though, it's way too busy. Take some money as well, there are lots of villages/petrol stations for emergencies and it's Saturday, so France is open!
    If you feel uncertain, take an extra empty bottle, but don't fill it except in emergency!
    This 56 year old managed OK last year!
  • 1 bottle, refills are available all along the route so no need for any more. Some food in pockets but again, food available on the route. Train properly for it and you'll have a really enjoyable day out.
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    thanks for posting the link to your Marmotte guide bahzob - and for taking the time & trouble to write it all up, nice one :)
  • I've signed up! (Bricking it already!) Can see this thread becoming one of my most visited... Already planning on losing as much weight as possible and getting out into the Surrey Hills and just riding up as many lumps as I can find (even if the aren't long enough!). I did Alpe D'Huez last year and have a feel for just getting in a nice easy gear and grinding but given how much longer it is I'm definitely worrying!

From reading through a few bits, are there official time cut offs?
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • The only cutoff is 18:30 (IIRC) at the bottom of the Alpe, you will then have done a Marmottan. They take your chip off you, but there's nothing to stop you carrying on, it's an open road.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOB-YNJ8Jw

Training properly started now. 2 x 1hr @ 80-85% MHR, daily 1hr commute, 3 hrs on a Saturday looking for hills. 2 runs per week and 2 swims too. Planning on dropping the runs come spring and adding in another bike on Sunday. Following Pete Read's black book programme. Wt loss 1.5kg so far :lol: , realistically looking to drop another 5kg, although I suspect my "race weight" @ 8% body fat would require a 10kg weight loss from where I am at present and that's not gonna happen :D. Targeting 11st 8lbs, can't do much about height 6' 0''.
  • mattpage
    mattpage Posts: 122
    Are entries out for this yet? I get an error when I try through the website, so I'm not sure if the site is not working or they are not available yet.
    Twitter: @mattpage24.
    Strava.
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Entries aren't open yet. Registration is from beginning December.
  • http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... fil128.gif

I see it's limited to 7000 this year, plenty of space on the descents then :shock:
  • Is the sign on day for the Marmotte this Thursday the 1st ?
  • Is the sign on day for the Marmotte this Thursday the 1st ?
    There's no hard and fast date when entries open, they like to keep the interest going. Best to check the sportcommunication website regularly over the next two weeks. And I'm sure someone will announce it here as well - after they've entered themselves of course :wink: .
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    Alain Quay wrote:
    Can a 54 year old do it? I've finished an etape du tour a few years ago and my aim would be just to
    finish - I think 11 hrs 30 mins equates to a silver. I'm under 11 1/2 stone, do the weekly
    40 m road club chaingang and would plan to do a 100 miler each month in 2012,
    some of them as sportives.

I've watched it as a spectator and while the top end standard looks high, there are
    also some average joes riding it. I would appreciate some advice from any completers
    rather than competors. Thanks.

I'm sure you would be able to. A bunch of us did it a few years ago although we were only 49 then :wink: Somehow there never seems to be enough time to do the training you would like. It does not have to be ridden at the pace of the etape, but there is undoubtedly a lot of climbing. If you can get round a hilly sportive in a reasonable time then you should be ok.
    My recollection is that the Glandon is in some ways the hardest climb but does not seem so bad as you do it first. The Galibier seems never ending and is tough at the top, and made slightly worse by the traffic - lots of it from friends and relations giving a lift to tired riders (I don't know if they quit there or are just getting a cheeky lift to the top).If you're not super-fast, just grind it out and leave a little in the tank for the Alpe. There, once you get past the worst starting ramps you know you're going to make it.

Good luck and enjoy!
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Anyone know how to get an entry to this now? Got a bunch of mates that signed up via a tour operator and apprently have entries for this year. I missed that route for an entry. Looking for another web site that might do this but want entry only and not all the package rubbish that seems to go with it.

Thanks
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Cyclefilm have discounted the dvd's including the Marmotte preview.

bobgfish - enter via Sports Communication when entries open. You should get a place no problem. It doesn't sell out immediately.
    Rich
  • Im in . Get Xmas out the way then the hard work begins .
  • yep website seems to have opened up.... let the sufferfest begin.
    Don't call me Shirley..
  • I'm in too, website opened at midnight. That's the easy part done!
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    That's me down for the 5th year running - my roller session at 6:45am now feels more worth it :-)
  • I think i'm in. Filled in the form and credit card info, but how does one know?
    Also, does med. cert need to be sent off at same time?
    Sorry, these questions will have been asked before
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    They send you a confirmation email - they actually sent me two.

No worries about the medical certificate etc now - plenty of time for that - don't think I sorted that out until about a month before the event this year. A lot of people just send a scan of their racing licence - always worked in the past.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Alain - On completion of the process you should receive an email confirming you have entered. I received mine within seconds.
    On the medical form side, you download it, take it to your GP and get it signed. I think most people then just take it on the day and hand it over - that's what I did this year. To be honest, the girl didn't even ask for it - not sure if that is normal or not.
  • I'm in. Got 3 confirmation emails! Still awaiting a confirmation for the Etape Acte 1 though (on the rider list so not too worried)!

I'm actually more concerned about the logistics at the moment than the riding. Anybody else going for the double?
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    I'm in too, first time for me, do you collect number, chip etc the day before?
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    A short guide:

1. You will receive an email confirming entry almost immediately.
    2. You can check to see you name on this live list of entrants;
    http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2 ... p?langue=1

3. Bib numbers will be issued sometime in February.
    4. Medical cert can be downloaded form the site. Bring the completed cert with you to registration.
    5. Registration takes place on the day before the event in Alpe d'Huez. Bring your entry confirmation(the one you will receive confirming bib number), medical cert, passport (not required, but just in case). I only got asked for the entry confirmation.
    6. Train like mad for the next six months.
    7. Enjoy, not many better days to be had on a bike.