Marmotte 2012

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No worries, fella.

Structured? Good God, no. I've tried training plans in the past and, between work and family, they didn't work out so well. I just tried to ride as often as I could and, on the rides with JG, as hard as I could.

Eating? Hmm, well, I was 12st 4lbs. Could have been less, but I like my food. I tried to avoid bread and sandwiches at lunchtime - opted for cous cous and what not instead. Chocolate was/is my vice.

Start with the turbo this autumn - more fitness and power going into the winter, and, hopefully, a bit less weight coming out the other side of Christmas.

Re carbon wheels (or indeed generally): was out with JG last week, and he mentioned a good point: don't over-inflate the tubes. I ran mine at 90-95 psi.

And, finally, the two-hour rides I mentioned is something JG recommended to me, so I can't claim that as my idea :-).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I wrote this guide to riding the Marmotte a couple of years back.

It covers most things from how to enter, training, detailed route breakdown and how to ride on the day itself.

Hopefully will be helpful to those thinking about 2012 (good luck to you all btw!)

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=693883&da=y
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Some really great advice/info on here.

Did Marmotte for the 1st time in 2006, unfortunately I picked up an injury to my back a month before so 2006 was a bit of a nightmare.

Returned in 2010, (life & sh1t got in the way!!) and really wanted to do myself justice.

A big thanks to Bahzob for that guide, that was my bible last year, brought it over with me to read the days before. It really helped me to plan out my timings (based on what I thought I could do) ended up pretty much matching Rider 2 times.

If I can add anything to what has already been mentioned; plan your trip and don't get caught up focusing on others. As the day goes on you will pass, and be passed, be hundreds, but you have no idea when they started (well the numbers give some idea) what level they are etc. Stick to what your plan is, adjusting for how you feel at the time etc.

Never get arrogant, no matter how good you feel until you have gone passed the worst of Alpe, Marmotte can bite you at any time.

No matter how good you are, how great you are feeling, there will be a part that will seem to be grinding you to a halt. This part was the false flat part of the Galibier for me. It seems to go on forever, the gradient doesn't look too bad but for some reason I just couldn't get a rhythm. Just got the ehad down and hoped that I would feel better in time.

Don't do too much in the days before. In 2006 we rode the Alpe on the Thursday, in 2010 we didn't. Certainly feel that made a difference. It is tough to be in the Aples, with your bike and the sun, and not go all out but remember that Saturday is the big day.

Last thing. It is brilliant, the best day you'll have on the bike (maybe not actually during it!!!) It is what cycling is all about.
    So this little yellow braclet makes me a better cyclist?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    cjcp wrote:
    Re carbon wheels (or indeed generally): was out with JG last week, and he mentioned a good point: don't over-inflate the tubes. I ran mine at 90-95 psi.
    Thats interesting, whats the reasoning behind that?
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    notsoblue wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

A French guy staying at my hotel before the marmotte a couple of years ago told me the same thing and from what I understand the reason is that on long descents where you are braking heavily the brakes heat up the rims which in turn heat up the inner tube, the heat makes the air in the inner tube expand and can cause the pressure to increase beyond what is recommended for the tube and in some cases make it fail.

I might be wrong as my french, although reasonable, is not fluent so parts of his explanation may have been lost in translation. I decreased the pressure anyway as he had lived and cycled the alps for many years and ran 90psi so thought he must know best.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    brucey72 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

A French guy staying at my hotel before the marmotte a couple of years ago told me the same thing and from what I understand the reason is that on long descents where you are braking heavily the brakes heat up the rims which in turn heat up the inner tube, the heat makes the air in the inner tube expand and can cause the pressure to increase beyond what is recommended for the tube and in some cases make it fail.

I might be wrong as my french, although reasonable, is not fluent so parts of his explanation may have been lost in translation. I decreased the pressure anyway as he had lived and cycled the alps for many years and ran 90psi so thought he must know best.
    Aha, that makes a great deal of sense...
  • bahzob
    Yes this is good advice. One issue those of us in UK have is that we cant really practice massive descents like those on the Marmotte.

A lot of the skill on these is avoiding over braking which can cause blowouts and other problems. The best guide on how to descend quickly and safely is over on Flamme Rouge here. Its a long article but has loads of good advice.

http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/descend.htm
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    bahzob wrote:
    A lot of the skill on these is avoiding over braking which can cause blowouts and other problems.

A lot of the braking issues seem to arise from people using rims completely unsuited to the event like deep section carbon clinchers. With a set of decent light alloy rims you extremely unlikely to suffer from blow-outs even if you are on the brakes the entire way down.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    re. carbon rims

There were quite a few guys sat by the roadside mending blowouts due to heat build-up and/or over-inflated tyres, when I did my first Marmotte in 2009. You could even hear them going pop on some of the descents. :P

Leave your carbons at home.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    notsoblue wrote:
    brucey72 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Aha, that makes a great deal of sense...
    Also, most people tend to check tyre pressures just before an event. For the marmotte that means about 6am, out of the valley depending on where your base is. The temperature will be ~5-10 degrees. Later in the day it'll likely be above 30. Makes a big difference in tyre pressures...

Carbon rims are fine if you know what you are doing ;) (I took alus as well just in case the forecast was rain)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    JonGinge wrote:
    Also, most people tend to check tyre pressures just before an event. For the marmotte that means about 6am, out of the valley depending on where your base is. The temperature will be ~5-10 degrees. Later in the day it'll likely be above 30. Makes a big difference in tyre pressures...

Anybody still remember enough physics to put this into numbers? I've often wondered if this is where peeps go wrong, whacking 120psi in at 6am when their bike's been sitting on the balcony all night. So to go from say 10C to 35C, what psi at 10C would you need to reach say 110psi at 35C?

I know this works the other way round. At this time of year, if I pump up my tyres inside , and then hit temperatures outside close to 0C they feel a bit on the low side.
  • grimpeur
    Suggest you have a read,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_laws
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    grimpeur wrote:

Thanks. Not as much as I'd thought.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'd just run them very slightly lower than you normally do - maybe 5psi lower. I'm not a great descender by any means but I wasn't coming down the descents with my brakes on all the way.

I actually found the top of the Galibier the trickiest descent - mainly because of the wind and the fact it seems more open on the sides - quite a few more overtook me down there than I went past.

I didn't find the notorious Glandon descent that bad. Actually coming down the Alpe afterwards when you are knackered is probably the trickiest descent of the day - I don't know if it was fatigue but my arms were shaking which didn't help.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • No need to worry about tyre pressures. Quality inner tubes, check that brake blocks don't rub the tyres and don't over-brake and you'll be fine. Never had a problem, not did anyone riding with me. Much more sensibly spending a bit more on some decent Michelin tubes than risking it with some specialized that do seem to be prone to failure.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    It's just that some people read the max psi on their tyres and think that's the pressure they should aim for ;)

Post-marmotte one guy in our hotel related tyre blowout woes. 140psi at the start...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    On a seperate issue;

Anyone know what are the odds of getting a place in the general ballot when it opens in December?
  • grimpeur
    It isn't a ballot, it is first come first served.
  • Lots of talk about the decending and tyre blowouts, I did it a couple of years ago and found the downhills were the least of my worries!!
  • Haha, Mark9926, you are absolutely right. The Descents are at worst slightly tricky, but you can always slow right down and then no problems whatsoever. (the point about selected what you are used to and what is best for the day rather than what is the 'best' equipment is very valid)

Getting up those damn mountains, especially the Alpe @ 35oC, is the real problem. Get through that part of the event and the rest is east in comparsion.

Just back to the entry, the site only says December. Does anybody know what date, and should I be sitting at the computer at 7am ready to log on to get a place or is it a few days noramlly?

Would really like to get into the low nubmers (I know 1st 400 as asigned or something) but the second batch would be great. (Broom wagon is further away!!!!)

Thanks
    So this little yellow braclet makes me a better cyclist?
  • I think that the calender of dates will be online form the 1st of Dec but it seems to be common knowledge that the marmotte is on the 7th. As for the entry opening date i dont know, i know that in 2010 I got the date from here, i suppose that will be something that we all have to keep our eyes open for on sport communication. I dont think that you nessecarily have to be on the site the day entries open as, when I went, we had guys in our group entering in jan and they had know problem. On the day there were 3 groups 7am 7.30 and 7.45 I think so it dont matter to much and besides, I was in the 7.30 group and there were plenty of people clearly going in an earlier group.
  • Leroy42 wrote:

Just back to the entry, the site only says December. Does anybody know what date, and should I be sitting at the computer at 7am ready to log on to get a place or is it a few days noramlly?

Would really like to get into the low nubmers (I know 1st 400 as asigned or something) but the second batch would be great. (Broom wagon is further away!!!!)

Thanks

No worries about a broom wagon - there isn't one :) I think they may stop you going up the Alpe if you are really late though. I saw something on one of those all inclusive sports company websites that entries will be opening from 10th December, but probably best to check every day in December as last year it was around 2nd or 3rd.

As for the start times, they seem to allocate the earlier time slot to those that have ridden before and have a half way decent time on record, but starting in the last group is not an issue so long as you get there in good time.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    If it is your first time, I think that you will end up in the last batch. The first 400 are reserved for elite riders. I dont know how to get into that group. A great time from the previous years, I suppose.

The 7.30 group, I think is for people with good times from previous years. (An existing dossard number will help I guess.) I suspect that you will end up with the rest of the population at a 7.50 start.

As said elsewhere, the time doesnt start until you go over the starting line. (I took twenty minutes to get there)
    i think if you are reasonably fit and have followed all the other advice in here then you should be fine.

I think they start removing timing chips at the bottom of the Alpe from a certain time. You can still continue up though, it is a public road, after all. My friends did this and finished just as it got dark. (I should state that they had had massive machanical issues.)

Good luck. It is a wonderful day!
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I'm doing it for the first time next year and can't wait.
  • bahzob
    alanp23 wrote:
    If it is your first time, I think that you will end up in the last batch. The first 400 are reserved for elite riders. I dont know how to get into that group. A great time from the previous years, I suppose.

The 7.30 group, I think is for people with good times from previous years. (An existing dossard number will help I guess.) I suspect that you will end up with the rest of the population at a 7.50 start.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, the first 400 is made up of 2 groups.
    > Seeded riders who obtained a good time from last year. (around 7.30 was the case)
    > Others who have bought/been given special entry with a company or other. So you can, I think, spend money and buy a place in this group. I would not advise it though, since if you can't keep up with the seeded riders you will most likely try too hard at the start then just be swamped by riders catching you up from behind.

The other groups were, I thought, allocated by a mixture of first come first served and luck. First time I rode I applied as soon as entries opened and got a start number in the first big group.

All this being said I don't think it matters too much, in terms of finish time, which group you start in. Main disadvantage of being in later group is that you still have to get to start at same time as early riders so you sit around getting nervous and cold. Taking some unwanted clothes to keep warm and chucking these at the start can help with this, arm warmers are a good idea too. Bin liners also make a disposable good gilet and rain shield.

Otherwise the only other real disadvantages of starting in a later group are that the first climb can be quite congested as can feed stations. You can mitigate these by
    > On first climb use the full width of the road. Its closed to traffic but even so the majority of folks tend to bunch up out of force of habit.
    > Take plenty of food/drink with you so you can choose which feed station to stop at. I'd do this even riding towards the front. If you are with a good group you don't want to stop at a feed point if they dont. I'd advise carrying 3 bottles and enough food to get you to the top of the galibier. (The little tri bags that clip to the top tube are perfect for this. You can use a couple of these to store loads of jelly babies, raisins whatever)

That aside the other issue with starting in a later group is probably mindset. If you start with negative vibes due to starting later then it will be counterproductive. There are positives to focus on as well
    > There will be loads of riders ahead that are slower than you. So from start to finish you will always have a target to aim at, catch up and pass.
    > Conversely, even in the last group, there will be some better riders coming past you. Jump on their wheel and get a tow.
    And don't worry, there is plenty of beer at the finish, they wont run out..
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob wrote:
    Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, the first 400 is made up ...
    It's all explained here: http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/bonplan.php?langue=1
    Dans le cas de la Marmotte :
    Vague Prio 1 à 400 et 401 à 1999
    Les premiers dossards sont attribués d’abord à ceux qui participent au Grand Trophée, puis au Trophée de l’Oisans, et ensuite aux pré-inscrits à plusieurs épreuves du Grand Trophée. Attribution ensuite selon temps de référence réalisé inférieur ou égal à 9h (dans l’ordre des réceptions et dans la limite des dispo).
    Vague de 2000 à 3999
    Attribution selon temps de référence réalisé inférieur ou égal à 10h 40 (dans l’ordre des réceptions et dans la limite des dispo).
    Au delà de 4000 et jusqu’à 7000
    Attribuition en l'abscence de temps de référence, dans l’ordre des réceptions et dans la limite des dispo. Attention ces informations sont données à titre indicatives et ne sauraient préjuger des dossards déjà attribués et donc des disponibilités.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Can anyone recommend a good hotel in Alpe d'Huez?

I'll probably be doing the Marmotte independently next year and will need to book my own accomodation
  • millster
    millster Posts: 209
    pm sent twotyred.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Have replied millster
  • millster
    millster Posts: 209
    So, i've booked everything apart from the travel. Took the hit and got an entry only through La Fuga for £99. Heard some good things about them, and I thought private food stations were worth a punt (I know people will criticise the food that's available etc, but we'll see!). Also an extra weight off my mind regarding the time the spaces are released on the internet.

Hotel wise, booked the Hotel Le Castillan at the top of the Alpe. 3 star goodness for 3 nights (5th,6th &7th) half board was just under £270.

Just flights/driving to sort now. easyjet is £160 return gatwick to lyon (which includes "sport" baggage).

Granted its a good way to blow more than £500, but from what people have said i'm in for possibly the best day out on the bike i'll experience.