Wiggins - Dark Horse

123457»

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    afx237vi wrote:
    How many of those do you expect to be challenging for the Tour next year?

Don't get me wrong, Wiggins is doing a great Vuelta. I've never been a particularly huge supporter of his, but he's been winning me over this year because of his more aggressive riding. But let's not get carried away - the Vuelta is still very much the 3rd of the 3 GTs.

All of them minus Anton could challenge at the Tour.

The Vuelta may well be the 3rd GT, but Nibali, Scarponi, Menchov, Rodriguez, VdB have all been top 5 in the Giro or Tour in the last two years.

He is beating proper elite GT riders, and he is beating them on climbs that don't suit him.

Somehow his performance today is being framed as ONLY 5th up the Angilru. Today he beat Joaquim Rodríguez up the Angliru! He beat Anton and Nibal too, and they finished either side of Contador up the Zoncolan. It was a remarkable performance.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    16simon wrote:
    All Wiggins did today was sit on Froome's wheel until he couldn't.... he didn't contribute anything.

So he basically freewheeled up the Angliru.
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    Some more colour here

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... gliru.html

"Wiggins dropped his chain at the foot of the Angliru climb and had to chase hard to get back on. But there were no excuses, either - Cobo's attack was unstoppable, Sutton said, and they had to face that."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    S'not the first time he's dropped a chain in a difficult moment....

_46438687_wiggins_bike512.jpg
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    To be fair Froome has had several races this year he has given a chance to shine. His sole purpose this race was to support Wiggins who has exceeded his own expectations so far in the race. Who would have thought Froome would be having the stormer is is also.

I beleive Froome will stay with Sky and will be given his chances to lead the team in certain races. I'll take a guess he'll be leading the team at the Giro next year.
  • That would explain why I saw him joining the back of the lead group when I watched on the live feed, I thought he was just at the back and making way through to the front. Though it was odd he was so far back at the start of climb.
    Hope he recovers enough to attack one of the harder stages.