Boardman CX Owners Thread

Comments

• inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    edited February 2017
    apreading wrote:
    inbike wrote:
    I've got a spare hydraulic 11s Ultegra group that I've taken off another bike. (Including 11s wheels and drop bars.)

Any reason it wouldn't fit on my Boardman hybrid sport 2014 frame? (Which I think it's similar to the CX frame.)

The BB is BSA and the brakes are these ones - https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-rs6 ... r-EV218605

In general, I think it should be possible to assemble and put together - the main thing I would want to make sure is that the brake calipers fit correctly as there are a number of new standards with 'flat mount' etc. The hybrid will be set up for post mount calipers I think. I think that is what your new brakes are too, so hopefully no problem there. If you want to test, all you need to do is hold the caliper up the the frame with a wheel and rotor in and make sure it would be positioned correctly.

The bit that may be an issue is not one which means it wont mechanically work though, but the Hybrid has a much longer top tube to take account of the fact that flat bars mean the contact point (where you hold the bike) is slightly behind the end of the stem because they curve backwards from the mounting point, whereas with drop bars, the contact point at the hoods is some way further forward than the end of the stem. So to get the bars set up in the right place you may need a REALLY short stem, which could be so short that it could affect handling.

If the original donor frame was slightly small for you, that might actually help!

I've finally got around to doing this and I thought I'd report back as in case anyone else was considering it. Overall I think it's made a good travel bike but it's only a conversion to do if you have the bits lying around.

I had to fit a IS to Post Mount adapter on the front fork, but otherwise no niggles - the frame has all the right braze-ons for a hydraulic group.

Swapping the wheels, groupset and saddle bought the weight down to 10kg, and it has a nice stable, comfortable ride. The reach is definitely longer but fine for me as I wanted to get a bit lower - I'm still using the stem that came with the bike.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    good info .... I have been tempted to do this with my hybrid .... but the top tube on it is 615mm ... compared to a 570mm on a road bike

even with a 70mm stem and 70mm zipp bar I'd have a considerably longer reach ...... don't want to risk that really .. you were lucky you had bits laying around

Shame I cant hide another bike in the garage without wifey finding it
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I know the BB30 bottom bracket issues generate quite a lot of debate on this topic and others too! The right hand side bearing on my CX Team collapsed the other day, luckily quite close to home. However, checking my Strava stats, this had lasted for 8,700 miles, which i guess is not too bad, when you read about folk only getting a few hundred miles or a couple of weeks before hitting snags. I had a new set of bearings to hand as I bought them ages ago, expecting the worst. I replaced them and so far have only done a couple of rides, less than 100 miles, so it's early days. The old left side bearing was also replaced, and it felt as smooth as the new ones I fitted!
  • For those of you with the 2016 CX Team, can I ask how wide a tyre you have been able to fit?

700x38?
    700x40?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    So, Halfords have a sale on at the moment and have this at 20% off:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -team-bike

Given that you all own one (admittedly from previous years etc), am I looking at bargain that I should try to get past the wife or should I let this one just pass by? It's worth pointing out that I am in the market for a CX bike that I can use for wet days and may be a little light off road stuff.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    J_MCD wrote:
    So, Halfords have a sale on at the moment and have this at 20% off:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -team-bike

Given that you all own one (admittedly from previous years etc), am I looking at bargain that I should try to get past the wife or should I let this one just pass by? It's worth pointing out that I am in the market for a CX bike that I can use for wet days and may be a little light off road stuff.

Based on your stated requirements, you should get this - its a perfect match and a bargain. If you are a member of British Cycling you will also get a further 10% off too.

Its actually much closer to being a CX bike now than it used to be, with the single ring up front, hydraulic brake and relatively fat off road tyres on it. Just make sure you are OK with the single ring up front - the tyres are easily changed if you actually want to ride it on the road.
  • I'm wondering what type of riding people generally do with the Boardman CX Team 2016?

By stacking the discounts right now (Store discount to £800, BC membership 10% off, vouchers 8% off, Top cashback 3.15% off) I think that the CX Team is available for around £640.

How does the CX Team compare as a do-it-all bike for commuting/off-road/touring to bikes like Genesis Croix De Fer or Jamis Renegade Expat, for which I currently can't get a deal so they are £900 or £1k without hydraulic disc brakes. How does the Boardman CX Team's lack of steel frame, different geometry etc make it compare to them for touring?
  • igsta
    igsta Posts: 56
    I bought one of these about a month ago. Very happy with it as my London commuter, taken me up wrynose pass and done some trails around Surrey Hills (sore finger joints after this) .

Not taken for its 6 week service yet... Only thing to call out is the slight slushy sound coming from front brake in use, and some brake rub which seems to come and go.

Still on the original Rapid Rob tyres, I have had a couple of rear wheel lockout and drifts on the commute when having to brake quickly, not sure if it's tyres or me, but it seems pretty easy to lock the rear.

That said, hydraulic brakes are phenomenal and I am converted.

Anyone able to recommend a good rack setup for commuting as I'm still backpacking and considering this.
  • Mark1889
    Mark1889 Posts: 19
    I have £500- £650 to spend on a CX
    What do I get?

I loved my entry level (Halfords own brand) CX but the cassette appears to need replacing and (whilst I will keep this bike to practice maintenance/act as a spare) I want to upgrade.

Ps - side question: moving from cantilever brakes from disc brakes for the first time - maintenance implications? Hard (for a Newbie) to change tyres?
  • igsta
    Changing tyres / wheels not a problem. Changing disc brake pads and fixing alignment / brake rub is a different story though. Harder to see what's going wrong compared to cantis
  • igsta
    The chain on my bike provides feedback into my shoes as I rotate through the pedalstrokes. Never had this with any other bikes.

Since completely removed chain, degreased, oiled etc but the grinding feedback in my shoes remain. Didn't do this out the box.

Any thoughts?
  • inbike
    Are your pedal bearings shot?
  • igsta
    It's speedplay and I'm all over the regular greasing. Pedals definately in good shape.

It feels like it's coming from drivetrain and only once I up the power.
  • inbike
    I thought I had a problem with my headset. Turned out to be loose bottle cage bolts.

Funny vibrations can be deceptive.
  • Hi. I have a 2012 Boardman Team CX. Does anyone know what type / size headset I need for it please?

I am aware it's FSA integrated, but there appear to me to be lots of options based on size.

Cheers in advance :)
  • inbike
    fat daddy wrote:
    good info .... I have been tempted to do this with my hybrid .... but the top tube on it is 615mm ... compared to a 570mm on a road bike

even with a 70mm stem and 70mm zipp bar I'd have a considerably longer reach ...... don't want to risk that really .. you were lucky you had bits laying around

Shame I cant hide another bike in the garage without wifey finding it

This thread floated up to to the top again... so I thought I'd give an update.

I'm completely in love with my converted bike. I've put nearly 2k miles on it since switching it to drops (including a 160 mile ride) and it has better handling and I actually prefer riding it to my ti Kinesis ATR.

The long reach is fine but I'm reasonably flexible. I've actually put a longer stem on it and removed some spacers to stretch my position out.

When I have some spare money I'm going to get it powder coated in matt black. Because it's my travel bike it's picked up some big scars - two from BA, five from GWR, one from Virgin trains, one from a big crash. Yet it's still going strong. What a bike!
  • Mart85
    Mart85 Posts: 6
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to road bikes (owned mountain bikes all my life).

I'm looking to sell my car and commute to work and buy a bike for this purpose but I only have space for one bike. I'm not really bothered about proper hardcore trails and jumps anymore but I do want a bike that I can take on rides out with my family along grassy/muddy tracks, forest trails etc.

More importantly I want the bike to be fun to ride both on and off the road! I have friends with road bikes and I want to be able to keep up on the tarmac and actually enjoy riding this thing on the road every day to work (some off road short cuts)

So basically, is the boardman CX Team in its current guise the bike for me or should I spend a little more and get something that thrills me?

I can currently get the boardman for under £800 which makes it a bargain, I'm only stalling because I want it to be a fun bike.
  • apreading
    The Boardman very much fits the bill that you describe. When it first came out, it was one of few bikes that did but there are loads of others too these days. Very few of them offer as much value as the Boardman though.

You might also look at the Planet-X London Road - thats the other bike that gets a similar amount of love these days and also offers stonking value.

Definately make sure you get a) enough clearance front & rear to put large tyres on for off-road use - minimum 28mm but you probably want 32mm or 35mm tyres for what you describe b) as its a commuter, the ability to put mudguards on with those wide tyres, and a pannier rack too (much better than a backpack) c) Hydraulic Disc Brakes, particularly if you want to commute in all weathers (cable discs are a very poor option)

Boardman fits the bill fine - and is FUN too. It also has the very modern 1x gearing, with no front mech to maintain and a wide ratio cassette at the back so that it still works on the hills. This will make maintenance easier, but 2x11 is just as good really - some people prefer one, some prefer the other, but I think you will be fine with either.

If you want to spend more, there may still be some good end of year deals on some Cubes - you might even get carbon frame, and Cannondale well regarded with some great disk offerings.
  • delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    Is the 2016/17 Boardman CX Team a 6 bolt or centrelock disc bike?
  • apreading
    Delv4 wrote:
    Is the 2016/17 Boardman CX Team a 6 bolt or centrelock disc bike?

The bike isnt either - its the wheels that decide that, and you will probably replace the wheels it comes with for something lighter before too long - then you can choose.

However, looking here: https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/i ... pg.153883/ I think I can see 6 bolt. They always used to be but I havent looked for a year or two.
  • delv4
    apreading wrote:
    The bike isnt either - its the wheels that decide that, and you will probably replace the wheels it comes with for something lighter before too long - then you can choose.

However, looking here: https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/i ... pg.153883/ I think I can see 6 bolt. They always used to be but I havent looked for a year or two.

Well yeah that was what I meant obviously because I have a spare set of 6 bolt disc wheels here gathering dust, looks like the Team CX could be my next n+1 soon, not much to compete with it on spec/value
  • delv4
    apreading wrote:

Well yeah that was what I meant obviously because I have a spare set of 6 bolt disc wheels here gathering dust (with spare rotors), looks like the Team CX could be my next n+1 soon, not much to compete with it on spec/value
  • igsta
    The stock wheels are 6 bolts. Ive upgraded the wheels on my road bikes but with this for commuting / casual offroad the stock wheels are fine. So much so ive bought another pair, one for offroad one on.
  • minnnt
    minnnt Posts: 102
    A little thread resurrection!

Had mine for a week now and I have to say I’m super impressed with it. I won’t be using it much for CX so it’s wearing some Continental GP4000s ii’s but it is the perfect commuter imo. Really liking the hydraulic disc brakes and the 1x11 setup just works!

Any worthwhile upgrades that need doing?
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    I've got two CX Teams, the latest one and one from 2012. Although both are the same frame size, the stem is shorter on the new one so I changed it for a longer one to closer replicate the position of my earlier CX. The bars also have less forward reach on the new one so the position is a little more upright on the hoods.

Changes I have made are the stem (as above) and a different saddle. I also have a set of Schwalbe 28mm Duranos. I'm considering a second set of wheels, one set for the knobblies, and the other for the road tyres.
  • Thread resurrection alert! Apologies if covered previously but did search and nothing came up:

Regarding the 2016 CX Comp/Team frame, has anyone successfully fitted either of the pf30 converter BBs from Praxis Works or Wheels Manufacturing? If so, is there anything significant to be aware of when going with this option?

Also, can anyone advise whether the 2016 frame has the same bloody stupid stepped bore as the 2014 version?

Not having bashed the existing chorus-of-creaks-POS out of mine means I've not had a chance to see for myself. If it does then the Praxis probably won't fit, but would there be enough clearance for the Wheels version?

Cheers in advance,
    Pete.
  • minnnt
    1k into my ownership and she’s doing well. Still loving it for EVERYTHING i do on the road. The perfect commuter and also the perfect Sunday ride machine. I’ve treated her to some new Hunt wheels and after a months worth of flirting with the Schwalbe Rapid Robs, she’s back wearing the Conti’s. I’ve managed to trim the best part of 2kg from the stated original weight too.

My Boardman Road Team Carbon has become the turbo trainer bike.
  • Which Hunt wheels did you get?

As for bottom bracket issues I can confirm that it’s a smooth bore on the 2016 frameset, so should take any of the pf30 converters. Was tempted by Hope’s version but needs a special tool, and too much to spend on a bike I’m planning to strip for the groupset at some point this year. Went with the Wheels Mfg part instead.
  • minnnt
    I went for the Mason X Hunt 4 seasons. They’re pretty nice.
  • Thought I'd drop a quick post on here, I was the instigator of this thread back in 2011 along with Meanredspider!

I still have my Boardman, it's been relegated to a wet weather commuter now so only gets me to work when the weathers bad. I've put over 18'000 miles on it and it still looks as good as new. It's a bit of a 'Triggers broom', I've been through a rear wheel, numerous cassettes, chains and chain wheels, bar tape, one bottom bracket, 2 sets of pedals and it's now running a Campag drive train and BB7's. It feels really heavy compared to my carbon dry weather commuter but I'm very reluctant to upgrade and move on...even though I want to :-)